PDA

View Full Version : Going Aurora Spotting tonight Mon 012

Analog6
12-11-2012, 5:51am
Recommend good spots please. I do plan a speculator drive while it is daylight.

From http://www.spaceweather.com/: A pair of minor CMEs is heading for Earth. They were launched on Nov. 9th and 10th, respectively, and are expected to merge into a single cloud before they reach our planet on Nov. 12th. NOAA forecasters estimate a 55% chance of polar geomagnetic storms in the next 24 to 48 hours.

ricktas
12-11-2012, 6:23am
Lauderdale, South Arm way.
Down the Huon valley, Woodbridge, gordon
Up Mt Wellington

(I hope this cloud cover clears, which has been our problem several times when an aurora has been active of late)

ScottM
12-11-2012, 1:37pm
The weather's not looking so good for seeing an aurora :( The BOM satellite photos look like the bulk of the cloud will probably clear in the next few hours, but still patchy.

Might check in here later and see if anyone's interested for tonight...

Analog6
12-11-2012, 2:41pm
Yes, I went for an explore down the south arm and am going to that little point (https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ll=-43.027271,147.496562&spn=0.028517,0.059738&t=h&z=15) opposite Betsy Island (you can see the road running down to the point which has a sort of a bite out of it, just past the Gellibrand Rd/South Arm Hwy junction. Looks like a good spot. Unfortunately I only bought the Mamiya MF and Lumix with me but who knows, I might get something. I'll be there from around 9-9.30pm.

PS: It's called Goat Bluff. From the tourism site "Goat Bluff, on the southern coast-line, provides a scenic view of Betsy Island, the Tasman Peninsula, Storm Bay, Bruny Island and the mouth of the Derwent River."

ricktas
12-11-2012, 7:54pm
Good location Odille. Just do not leave valuables in your car down that way. As there are no police from Rokeby down, the beaches and little lookout roads are often the target of thieves. Many a person has come back to their cars to find a window smashed and things stolen.

Analog6
13-11-2012, 8:38pm
I sat in the car, as it turned out, Rick, no aurora and very cold with the wind, but glorious skies. It's a good spot, you can jump out of the car and set up a tripod and start shooting. I hung about till 1120 and then packed it in and off to bed. Not much hope for activity tonight either. Ah well, maybe next trip.