PDA

View Full Version : EPL1 with Konica Hexanon AR 28mm/3.5

MattNQ
09-11-2012, 12:26am
Hopefully I'm not boring you all with my exploration of old lenses on my Oly. :D

Picked up this Konica Hexanon AR 28mm/3.5 from Cash converters for the princely sum of....$4.95

Not mint condition of course, and focus ring was a bit stiff, but looked clean enough, so I figured it was worth a punt.

Sourced an adapter ($16.74 off ebay )

Here a few colour shots from todays wander around the cemetery.
I'll toss a few mono ones in the mono forum for those who are afraid to wander around the dodgy Olympus forum after dark..:D
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?112967-A-Grave-concern-about-old-lenses&p=1086713#post1086713

- - - Updated - - -

MattNQ
09-11-2012, 1:28am
Couple of shots of the lens on the EPL1

crafty1tutu
09-11-2012, 2:32pm
I love the photos, especially the Frangipanni with the bokehlicious background.

MattNQ
09-11-2012, 4:49pm
thanks crafty1tutu, I am itching to try some shots in softer light & experiment a bit.

Bromo
06-04-2013, 8:37pm
Gday Matt
Nice to see a few shots with some older glass. How do you like the lens now that you have had it for a while? How do you think the lens compares with the kit lens that came with your Oly?

ps: sorry for resurrecting an old post

MattNQ
07-04-2013, 10:32am
Hi Bromo, welcome to the forum.
Are you also an Oly user? I have a foot in two camps:D
I havent used this particular lens much since these shots back in Nov. Lately I tend to head out with just one lens...and this one is rarely the first choice.
One minor problem I didn't mention is that the lens doesn't quite lock into the cheap adapter ...so when you focus with the stiff focus ring, it turns the lens in the adapter. I have it fixed with gaffa tape at present, but need to find a better adapter I think.
That aside, to compare with the kit lens is interesting. The EPL1 came with the 14-42 (version 1). It is ok as a kit lens. Glass is fine, but it hunts a bit when focusing. Also the front element turns when focusing, which is always a pain when using CPL filters. The Konica has better bokeh, and probably a bit sharper at wider apertures. In bright sunlight, the glass coatings are not a effective as the new lenses though. I will probably get a CPL for it eventually.
I rarely use the 14-42 these days. I have a Oly 9-18mm which is a really nice wide angle - very nice glass, snappy focus. Bit slow (f4-5.6) & Bokeh is virtually non-existent, but for landscapes that is not a problem.
My next favourite lens choice is usually the Minolta Rokkor X 50mm/1.4, which is in much better condition than the Konica. And the ability to go to f1.4 is always more compelling!