PDA

View Full Version : Exif info

PeterP
06-11-2012, 9:40pm
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.
Im just curios as to how one can see the exif details on some of the great shots on this forum.

Debra Faulkner
06-11-2012, 10:08pm
There are free programs that you can download - one which we use is called KUSO Exif Viewer.

Mark L
06-11-2012, 10:54pm
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Technology:EXIF_and_Other_Plugins

ricktas
07-11-2012, 6:34am
As per Mark's link, you need to install an EXIF reader add-on for the internet browser you use, then it is generally a matter of right-clicking (Windoze) and selecting 'view EXIF or similar from the right-click pop-up menu.

Note that we do not make it a requirement that members have to include EXIF, so only those photos that have it included will therefore let you display it.

There are quite a few EXIF readers these days. I use firefox and have two installed:

fxif
exify

fxif gives you the full EXIF details
exify works differently to any other exif viewer I have seen : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?108069-FIREFOX-users-Exif-Add-on&highlight=exify in that a mouse over a photo gives you basic exif, without the need to right click etc.

PeterP
08-11-2012, 10:28pm
Thankyou all for the info. As a beginner, it would be nice to see what settings one used to achieve a great image.;)

William W
12-11-2012, 2:54pm
EXIF is not necessarily 'the gospel' describing the technicalities of the image.

EXIF data can be edited.

That is a merely a statement of fact: not a suggestion that any member would edit data before posting their image here.

WW

graemelee
10-12-2012, 12:45am
great info

ameerat42
10-12-2012, 8:39am
EXIF is not necessarily 'the gospel' describing the technicalities of the image.

EXIF data can be edited.

That is a merely a statement of fact: not a suggestion that any member would edit data before posting their image here.

WW

Thanks for the "revelation".
Am.

William W
10-12-2012, 11:35am
Thanks for the "revelation".
Am.

No problem.
(I have a really funny example on one of my hard drives: When I made that post I thought to give it as an example and forgot to - if I can find it quickly now, I will post it)

arthurking83
10-12-2012, 11:27pm
Best exif viewer by far is a program called Exiftool.

Problem with Exiftool is that it command line only.
Great if you're a hardcore geek type, so that means for most of us, this is really quite impractical.

But! there are a few graphical frontends for it, so you can use it as you do with all your PC programs .. point click and watch all the pretty blinking lights! :D

So to get any usefulness outta Exiftool, there is a program called ExiftoolGUI that can also be downloaded for it.
Easier to set up than it seems, and then you have one of the most powerful exif viewing programs .. but only for viewing the exif on images on your PC!!! .. doesn't have any U-beaut web ability.

To get this U-Beaut web ability for Exiftool .. you can use an online web application that uses Exiftool to generate exif info on an image you load up into it that's on the web.
That service can be found at Jeffrey's Exif viewer ... here (http://regex.info/exif.cgi).

Note tho, not all image have their exif intact.
Many programs remove, strip, distort or cull much ... if not all ... of the exif data in the image.
Sometimes it's the website itself that doesn't allow the exif data to be downloaded(for whatever reason).

So if you come across an image with no exif data, there are many reasons as to why this is.

OldNick
20-12-2012, 12:38am
opanda exif. Becomes a right click in FF. As many have said, EXIF is not available in many posted shots. This is becoming more common as it seem s that most people are not aware of how to post photos and why various aspects are important. Sorry.