PDA

View Full Version : Software advice please

shelly1170
04-11-2012, 12:52pm
Ive just started shooting RAW and have discovered that iPhoto won't import my photos from my Canon 650D.

I'm pretty computer savvy with a tech support background. But that was a million years ago now! So much has changed.

I now have a MacBook which is fairly new (January 2012).

I have been looking at Lightroom. I want to carry out basic editing/fixes. But I also need something that will import the images off my camera and also organize them. Is Lightroom my best option? or should I consider PS Elements?

I think PS is a bit beyond me at the moment :eek:

All advice appreciated!

nimrodisease
04-11-2012, 1:59pm
I think Lightroom is definitely what you're looking for, when compared against Photoshop. It is very much a photo library organising tool, as well as a basic editing tool. Photoshop is a much more advanced editing tool, but it's not really that suitable for managing a photo library in my experience. I personally use Lightroom as an importing/basic editing tool, and then Photoshop for any further editing if I'm feeling inspired.

If anyone has a different opinion/experience to me, feel free to shoot me down..

Kieran
04-11-2012, 2:18pm
You got a CD with your camera. On it is Digital Photo Professional and Eos Utility. Eos utility brings in the images and organises them the same as other programmes. [by Shooting date]. As far as I have seen, this is similar to Lightroom and Photoshop. My son is a student and bought Photoshop CS6 for the same amount as I could buy Lightroom and he is kind enough to allow me to use it so it may not be as expensive as first appears. I still use Canon's programmes to import and do the first delete of images because it seems to be as good as Adobe bridge at this. I am just begining to get the hang of some of the methods for post processing and have thought that getting the full Photoshop was a waste of time since it takes so much time to understand and use it well but now I am seeing a few rewards worth having. Until you are convinced that you cannot go any further with your hobby because of limitations in post processing, I would recommend using the Canon software. There are reviews on the web that are worth reading. A few indicate that Canon's free software is the best of the manufacturers offerings but that may be a fallacy. If you decide to go with any particular program check to see if you can download it for a month as a trial first.

Mark L
05-11-2012, 8:23pm
I'll secound Kieran's suggestion of DPP. The CD he mentions will also have EOS Utility and Zoombrowser. I have it set (done by settings in EOS Utility) so that when I put card in computer, one click transfers all image to dated folders, Zoombrowser then automatically opens so I can preview all newly transferred images, deleting any obvious rubbish straight away. Play with whatever software after this.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and DPP allows you to do a fair bit of basic editing on your RAW files. Change WB, contrast, highlights, saturation, brightness sharpening etc. Has an easy to use crop function and resize when you convert and save (so you get it small enough to post on AP :))
It has more, but nothing like layers or selective sharpening. And at the moment, for you it's free to learn the basics with.
If you decide to try it, post any questions about what to do and we'll help (PM me if you'd prefer, though then others don't learn.)
This was done only with DPP .......http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?110032-King-Parrot-and-E-mail-I-sent! ... just look at the photos, no need to read.

shelly1170
05-11-2012, 8:27pm
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated!

I have downloaded the canon software and will have a play and let you know how I go.

Kieran
12-11-2012, 6:57pm
Any progress Shelly?

fearstorm
14-11-2012, 9:31pm
Hi Shelly,

You mentioned a MacBook... have you considered Apple Aperture for RAW edits and photo management? I own Aperture (good value for money on the App Store) and also use Lightroom from time to time. They are both very capable products that should meet your needs. Lightroom does have the nifty lens correction feature which works well for my Tamron 18-200 lens. On the other hand, Aperture does a pretty decent job of organising and backing up your photos (vaults).

If you need any additional info feel free to PM me.

shelly1170
15-11-2012, 7:34pm
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up getting Lightroom. I'm pretty sure it will be a while before I really know what I'm doing with it though. Might have to hunt around for a tutorial...