PDA

View Full Version : Tablets for kids (computer not meds!)

shelly1170
02-11-2012, 12:44pm
Two years ago we moved to PNG. Knowing that we'd be flying a lot, we bought two iPod classics for our girls (then aged 2 and 3 1/2). We downloaded movies and tv shows and they were invaluable.

Fast forward to September this year when we were packing to come to Thailand for a few months. One iPod and headphones was missing as was one of the girls digital cameras (the joys of a developing nation - most likely taken by a housekeeper we only had for a week or a workman in the house)

We battled on with one iPod that the girls shared. But our delightful 4 year old left that in a taxi last week!

Which brings me to the point of this post (I do get there eventually!)

The girls are now older (almost 6 and 4 1/2). We would like to get a tablet that they can watch movies on but that we can also download educational games onto (like reading eggs).

iPad mini should be released here in Bangkok in about two weeks and that is our initial thought. But are there others that are suitable? Bangkok is awash with tablets of all varieties, but the language barrier makes it difficult to get good customer service.

Hubby and I both have iPads so don't really know much about the other tablets and how they operate. Are there app stores where you go to download apps?

Thanks!

livio
02-11-2012, 6:29pm
You are absolutely right, given that you have already introduced the girls to Apple products, iTunes et al. I would be recommending the ipad it gives you choice and the girls already know how to use it, as you have ipads yourselves it would make sense to stick to the same makes support easier when things go wrong you don't have to learn some other O/S

Kind Regard
Livio

SirLozalot
02-11-2012, 6:57pm
I have two daughters too. A bit older than yours. Aged 9 and 6. They are electronic game addicts.

My wife and I have iPad2. We have house rule of no electronic games or toys on school days. On week ends the iPads get heavily used by girls. They love it. I have not had to give them any tuition. They just use it and love it. I would recommend it. Perhaps give them yours and spoil yourself with an upgrade ;).

However, I have an android phone and the girls also have no problems finding and playing games on that either. Android has app stores as well.

An alternative to tablets is DSi. The girls have these two (I did mention they are addicts didnt I?). I think technology is moving on from these and would not recommend it even though my kids like them.

As an interesting aside note check out this link http://www.technologyreview.com/news/506466/given-tablets-but-no-teachers-ethiopian-children-teach-themselves/. Interesting article of how they gave a bunch of tablets (android) & no instructions to illiterate Ethiopian kids as part of the the one laptop per child program and then monitored the usage.

Regards

Lauri

JM Tran
02-11-2012, 7:03pm
iPad is great for entertainment due to its incredible battery life = over 10 hours of constant movies and games on a single charge.

the PS Vita is great too but smaller and at around 4 hours ish on a single charge, albeit smaller and its memory cards are quite expensive.

I'd just buy a 2nd hand iPad and 2nd hand PS PSP, Vita or Nintendo DS - that way the girls can interchange easily and wont get bored as fast.

znelbok
02-11-2012, 8:25pm
My two have both had DSi's and iPods and the iPod is more versatile for them and has a lot of free entertainment for it whereas the DSi does not. You can get a card that allows you to download DSi games, but that is technically illegal (same as downloading music from dodgy sites).

In my opinion, the iPod is too small and the iPad is too large for a kid. The iPad mini is perfect for the kids as the 7.9" screen gives them more screen size to work with without being too big for their hands (not that they can hold it in one hand).

As you are already part of the iOS eco system, it makes sense to stay there.

If you want to move to Android, then the Nexus/Samsung gear is slightly cheaper and just as good quality wise.

We also have further uses for out iOS devices as the whole house is automated and we can each use our iwhater to control various rooms etc (I have two iPhones, an iPad 2 and an older 7" android (Telstra) tablet, kids have a iPod each and the handbrake has a Galaxy S).

7" is also great in the gar when nounted as a navigator, the small iphone/pod screen is not so good.

Mick

junqbox
02-11-2012, 8:54pm
As above, since you're a;ready in the 'i' life, it may be worthwhile staying (you own the apps etc) unless you have other reasons for change. It seems you may feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the myriad of options out there in the Android world (don't blame you) so an iGadget may be the best solution. It would be my choice.

shelly1170
04-11-2012, 1:08am
Thanks everyone for your advice so far.

We had a brief look at Samsung tablets today and not impressed for the price. Also confirmed that the iPad mini isn't arriving in Bangkok until December. Not much use when we need one now!

I'm going to have a look at some cheapies tomorrow and see what they are like.