PDA

View Full Version : k mount to m42 adapter

stanislasphotography
25-10-2012, 8:32pm
Hello All,

Does anyone know of any good adapters?

I received one today from ebay, the $6 kind. I just spent the last hour trying to get it off my K1000 and stupidly enough I then put it on my Kr, got it off now and know a way how to get it off easily, but still not easily enough.

Kym
25-10-2012, 9:22pm
There are two sorts of adapters -- one type is very cheap and has issues -- the other slightly more expensive type work better.

This is the better type
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=673977
http://www.srb-griturn.com/m42-lenses-on-pentax-k-206-p.asp

stanislasphotography
25-10-2012, 9:52pm
thanks, which one do you use?

how would you remove the adapter off the body?

the ebay variety has a removal tool,

gorillagirl
27-10-2012, 4:01pm
I'm going to spend the extra to get a genuine adaptor, this is one thing you don't want to go third party with as you've found out. I don't know how to remove it either, the pentax forum might have some tips.

arthurking83
27-10-2012, 4:43pm
can't it be removed from the body whilst still attached to the lens?

I have two M42 adapters for Nikon F-mount, and while it's not as easy as a standard f-mount lens to remove, I always manage to remove the adapter with the lens as one piece and then remove the adapter from the lens.

I suppose it depends on how hard you've tightened the lens onto the adapter threads ... maybe I tighten the lens more on the adapter than you do.

Both my adapters are the cheapo $2 type from ebay, and one of them is particularly thin and is very hard to remove from the mount if the lens has been removed first.
When that's the case, before I screw the lens back on to attempt removal of the adapter, first thing I'll try is to use the two finger method.
(of course this has to be done with care not to touch the mirror in the camera)
Use index and middle fingers in the thread of the adapter, and place outwards pressure on the threads with the fingers.
Before trying to unmount the adapter, of course the lens release lock will need to be pressed.

stanislasphotography
29-10-2012, 1:59pm
the adapter I have is designed to focus to infinity and has a little metal 'clip' not sure if this is the right description to lock the adapter into place into the body and to remove I'd need to use a special tool which was provided. The tool doesnt help.

I've worked out how to remove it easily now, I removed the 'clip' on the adapter. Only disadvantage of this now is the lens does not lock into the body, so I would have to becareful not to throw it around.

arthurking83
29-10-2012, 9:52pm
If you run a Pentax system(which I think from readings elsewhere, this is the case) .. all M42 to K adapters will have infinity focus by default! They use the same backfocus, or register distance.

It's only when you have a register distance that is shorter from the native register distance of the camera is where complications arise, and you can't achieve infinity focus.

Nikon's backfocus distance is slightly longer (than Pentaxes) .... but close enough, so that you get very close too(but not exactly) infinity focus.

Canon has one of the shortest register distances and most (if not all) DSLR lenses will achieve infinity focus with simple non optical adapaters.

As the M42 is a standard issue Pentax type mount(the earlier form of lens mount for Pentax(among others) ... M42 lenses will almost always give you infinity focus.

BTW!! Infinity focus is good, but not the be all and end all of having fun with various lens brands of old on your adapted camera.

gordon_l34
01-01-2013, 10:35am
Hi,

Use only the genuine Pentax adapter as some of the third party ones can become jammed on the camera.

Regards.