PDA

View Full Version : Filter Brand difference

tannyboy
18-10-2012, 1:49pm
Hey All,

I know a fellow photographer has told me. "Why put a sub $100 filter on a $1000 lens? it doesn't make sense..."

But in all seriousness, is there a huge difference in the big names B+W in comparsion to the "Cheaper" Hoyas, Tiffens, Marumis for example?

Just looking for a decent ND filter to help me out in direct sunlight...

Love to hear the thoughts from the community.

monsters
18-10-2012, 2:20pm
Hi,
I am not expert in this but when I was looking for one, I did a bit of research and from what I can gather, different people would have different opinion, as for me, I would go with known brand such as B+W and/or Hoya Pro.
I have bought two of the HOYA pro, ND8 and ND64. I know some said that it was hard to clean the glass.

Try read this article "The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill.

Also, it all depends on what your local stores have in stock.

Rattus79
18-10-2012, 4:19pm
well here's a can of worms!

I got cokin filters. They're great for the price point. BUT the moment you try to stack a second one, you end up with a horrid magenta cast.
You get what you pay for.

My Singh-Ray Vari-ND does not cast, but does vignette at the darker settings. It's also a $400 filter.

It kind of depends upon what you want to do with it as to what to get. Are we talking about landscape useage, or more urban stuff, like the static person in a field of moving people?

monsters
18-10-2012, 4:30pm
Also, you may or may not want to look into vari nd filter which Rattus79 mentioned. One filter but you can dial from 2 stops to 9 stops for example, depending on brands and types of Vari ND-filter.
Cheaper brands such as LCW, Polariod and Genus. A few of my mates got LCW and Genus and they are great for landscapes. Vari nd-filter in general will cost more than a stand alone nd filter.
Of course there are expensive stand-alone filter too like Lee and Singh-Ray.

tannyboy
23-10-2012, 9:19am
Hi Greg,

Its more for urban stuff and outdoor people stuff (just to help me open up the lens a bit)

I know its a can of worms, but I like to put things to the people.

Rattus79
23-10-2012, 10:32am
In that case, a Vari-ND may be a good option for you.

They are useful in flash photography, so that you can open the aperture a bit without blowing out.
or for wide aperture lenses during the day (for those times that the required shutter speed at 1.4 is too fast for the camera)

and of course just for slowing your shutter speed.

Be aware that cheap ones will cast and that they may also vignette. mine vignetts at less then 14 mm.
and even the good ones will give strange results if you push them too far toward their darkest settings.

If you're ever in Brisbane, you're welcome to have a play with mine.

dejavu
07-11-2012, 1:52pm
When it comes to deciding which filter to get, never go pass this review:
http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article-UV_filters_test_Description_of_the_results_and_summary.html

It is a scientific analysis of common brands, from the cheap and nasty, cheap and cheerful, to the super expensive ("I have more money than sense") varieties. You will be surprised at the results.

PS. They also did a review of polarising filters, just do a search on there.