PDA

View Full Version : Camping locations

Rattus79
17-10-2012, 5:31pm
Hey Guys,

We've decided that this Christmas, we're going to pack up the Pseudo Fourby (Suzuki Grand Vitara) and Camper and head out camping.

Last time we did this, we started driving and next thing we knew we were on the great ocean road! 2 weeks later, we got back again :D

From that trip, the 2 best spots we found were Styks river State Forest, a camp ground right on the river, and a little camp ground on the banks of the Murry by name was Major Mitchell Lagoon.

I thought I'd stick my head in and ask what locations you've camped and what amazing places we should go to photograph.

Normally, we would take the dog, but it discounts so many of our wonderful national parks. I'd love to take her again, but I guess I"m willing to leave my beloved little girl with my mates for the right location.

SO, What hidden gems have you guys got for us?

OzzieTraveller
17-10-2012, 9:31pm
G'day Greg

Christmas travelling ~ ouch, but - yes somebody's gotta do it and put up with the others as well :rolleyes:

I presume you have your copy of 'camps Australia wide' [$60 if you haven't] ~ this will help you considerably to locate camping locations

Next - you are a Qld-er ... how far do you wish to go - & Nth or Sth??
It could become stinkin' hot over Dec / Jan therefore the hills may be / will be somewhat cooler > what about any of the NPs in northern NSW?

How much 'other' company are you after - some like lots of people / noise; others like the peace & quiet [us for instance]
Is your camper-trailer fairly self-contained? how many days can you go between top-ups of water & food?

More than happy to talk more via PM if you wish to
Regards, Phil

xxdrakexx
17-10-2012, 9:32pm
hmmmm you make me want to go camping now lol iv only camped here in Coonamble and lightning ridge but i have been to Warrumbungle National Park (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkhome.aspx?id=N0035) ​i didn't camp there but i went to a couple of the camping grounds and one of then just after sunset id love to camp there and their is lots of wild life an flowers and grate views..:)

Rattus79
17-10-2012, 11:29pm
Hey phil.
No i dont have that book. I have previously found camps by pure luck and net research

Im brisbane based and was kind of thinking south.

The trailer is a base model and we only have an esky rather then a fridge, but its a good one and packed well it can keep meat frozen for a few good days. And cold for nearly a week.

I personally prefer not to be over crowded. I go bush to get away from the yobbos of this world.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the idea jim.
I havent been to the warrumbungles

The other thought i had was heading down to dorrigo national park. I grew up in bellingen and know it well, but never got to photograph any of it.

Analog6
18-10-2012, 6:48am
Lots of gorgeous spots round Dorrigo, and there are also things like the Glenreagh Mountain railway and its stops along the line up halfway to Dorrigo. You drive through some gorgeous country following the back road from Glenreagh to Dorrigo - some areas have sweeping views, and in other spots you are in the tall trees, in plaes they are really magnificient. And full of lovely little things for close up shots too, fungi, bark, insects etc.

The area near Thora is very picturesque too.

Rattus79
18-10-2012, 10:42am
Thinking about it, I recall a couple of spots out the back of Bellingen from when I was a kid. The Never-Never River is just stunning and has a park area that from memory allowed short stay camping.

The whole area looks like someone threw a bucket of green paint over it. :D

OzzieTraveller
18-10-2012, 10:03pm
G'day Greg

Back 15+ yrs ago I started to keep track of 'discoveries' for places to return to & thought I was pretty good when I got to 2-dozen locations. About 7-8 yrs ago I discovered the book "Camps Australia Wide" - $60 ... it boasts about 4000 places around Oz which are either totally free of charge or lo-cost

Within the Grafton - Coffs - Armidale triangle there seem to be about 2-dozen camp sites marked, some are picnic areas where you can stay overnight, others are NPs, others are small camping areas with maybe a $$ fee

I suggest that you pop into your local 4wd place and eyeball the book to see if it will be useful to you. The RAC / NRMA shopfronts do not stock them as they are not 'AAAT approved caravan parks'

I'll PM you with more info
Regards, Phil

Rattus79
18-10-2012, 10:24pm
Thanks phil.

Ian
12-12-2012, 12:14am
hey Rattus79, look up neurum creek bush retreat, on the net it local well almost local for you. it is in the Mt Mee, Mt Archer area. if you are coming from woodford it is to your left. it is of the old woodford, kilcoy road(neurum road). might be heading that way just after chrissy, or end of january beginning of february. :food04::) ian(aka pappa smurf:costumed70:)

Rattus79
12-12-2012, 5:54pm
Thanks Ian, I think I know the one you're talking about, I've driven past it, looked pretty busy, but that was an easter long weekend.

This year we're off to Cambodia, and then catching up with the rest of my family out past kilcoy somewhere for some dirt squirting fun.