PDA

View Full Version : Selling images from sporting events?

pjcook
11-10-2012, 7:23pm
I have taken thousands of Photos from V8 Supercars events from about 6 years ago.

What, if any are the restrictions on my putting some of these images up for sale on either a dedicated web site or through E-Bay.

I took the photos from behind the fence as, of course I was not an accredited photographer.

Cheers

livio
11-10-2012, 7:44pm
An interesting question, It may not be as clear cut as you think. A common sense view would be that as a member of the public having payed and admission to the ground you would be entitled to take photos and video. Not being an accredited photographer you would have been at a slight disadvantage as to the vantage points available to you to take photos. It will depend on the terms and conditions on entry as to whether or not you are entitled to sell these photos for profit. If this is not stipulated anywhere then you should be okay to do what you want they are your photos and if they sell good luck to you. Make sure that you have the copyright info on your images though it's one ofthe best forms of protection against others ripping you off.

Kind Regards
Livio

Mark L
12-10-2012, 8:33pm
You will need to research the terms and conditions of your entry to the events.
I'm sure this has come up in other threads, but have a read of this ....... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?92595-First-Grade-Sporting-Fixtures-Reminder-about-Entry-Terms-and-Conditions
I can't imagine things where any different 6 years ago.

pearson
12-10-2012, 10:51pm
Interesting post and pretty relevant too. I've never read the terms of admission to events such as this. I would be curious to know where you stand.

jeffde
15-10-2012, 4:44pm
As a photographer who has taken thousands of images as both a spectator and an accredited media photographer you are not allowed under the terms of you ticket to sell images without the permission of V8 supercars etc now - you would have to check the t&c of your ticket 6 years ago - even a media accredited photographer can't sell images to the public without permission - media means media... That said - What do you think the market would be for images 6 years old ?? there are companies who want old images but they don't / won't pay very much if anything for them,... Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

btw put them on Ebay and you'll get a a email or phone call - they monitor it (so ive been told cause i don'/t sell them)

pjcook
18-10-2012, 9:55am
As a photographer who has taken thousands of images as both a spectator and an accredited media photographer you are not allowed under the terms of you ticket to sell images without the permission of V8 supercars etc now - you would have to check the t&c of your ticket 6 years ago - even a media accredited photographer can't sell images to the public without permission - media means media... That said - What do you think the market would be for images 6 years old ?? there are companies who want old images but they don't / won't pay very much if anything for them,... Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

btw put them on Ebay and you'll get a a email or phone call - they monitor it (so ive been told cause i don'/t sell them)

I was really just asking out of curiosity, no real intention, I am putting together a web site where I will be posting some photos I have taken and some of the good shots from the time I was taking V8 Supercars. I sold a number of my images at the time to one of the memorabilia sellers at the events so I know some of them are marketable. My question was more around what would my position be should I ever get a request to purchase one of the images.

From the responses I have received, and in checking directly with V8 Supercars, it seems I could be in breach of the T&C's even if I just upload them to a web site.

Not sure what the repercussions would be, but may be a problem not worth getting into.

rum pig
24-10-2012, 8:36am
I will have to re read the T&C of the last V8's in Darwin because I'm sure I did not read this in there. I did read that your photo or video of you could be taken at any time and used or sold without any notification or compensation.

So if what people have said is true (I have no reason to doubt them & I'm not doing so) Posting pics of Facebook would also be a breach?

ricktas
24-10-2012, 5:46pm
Most A grade sporting fixtures have similar entry T&C

Cricket Australia
Tennis Australia
AFL
NRL
V8 Supercars
and more

Basically any photo taken are for private domestic use and cannot even be put up on AP for critique as this is not deemed 'private'. Facebook is also not deemed private. So basically all you can do is print a few and have them in your own home, and that is it.

snappysi
24-10-2012, 8:41pm
As a point of interest, how you you go taking a shot of say the v8 supercars from the balcony of the hotel on the Gold coast. you are not in theory under there terms as you have shot from a place outside of the "ticketing area " so top speak. All other sports listed above by Rick are more or less within the confines of an "arena", and you would likely not be able to get any decent shots unless inside the ground, therefore you would have bought a ticket. Not so in the case of the G.C event recently.

just wondering, thats all.........

Simon.

Brett87
20-12-2012, 5:16pm
A Little off topic...
I take photos as an amateur at cycling events that I am involved in, there is no restrictions in regards to selling my photos as far as I am aware.
I was approached by a world class sponsored rider to use one of my photos by his sponsors for some banners, I agreed and thought that maybe I would get some merchandise thrown my way... but nothing as yet.
He has approached me again this time wanting to use a different photo for a different sponsor who are an international company, this time for some posters.
While I am happy to be getting some recognition for my photos, I am wondering whether I should be putting a price on the photo...and how do a put a price on a photo.

If there are already post on this please refer me. Thank you

Brett

peterb666
20-12-2012, 5:23pm
Should you be putting a price on material used for advertising? Yes

Also some form of contract/agreement that limits the rights over the image would be a good idea.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Roosta
04-01-2013, 4:48pm
I remember back in my early days at Bathurst (James Hardie days) the T&C's then had a photography clause. Back then you could attend media days run around Mt Panarama and keep and use the pictures, pre internet days. I had several blown up and block mounted, still have them.

But nowadays and recent history, I have looked into the T&C's covering music and sporting events, and you may as well take a P&S and that's about that. I'd be careful if posting the images.

Best of luck with the research.

- - - Updated - - -

A Little off topic...
I take photos as an amateur at cycling events that I am involved in, there is no restrictions in regards to selling my photos as far as I am aware.
I was approached by a world class sponsored rider to use one of my photos by his sponsors for some banners, I agreed and thought that maybe I would get some merchandise thrown my way... but nothing as yet.
He has approached me again this time wanting to use a different photo for a different sponsor who are an international company, this time for some posters.
While I am happy to be getting some recognition for my photos, I am wondering whether I should be putting a price on the photo...and how do a put a price on a photo.

If there are already post on this please refer me. Thank you

Brett

Sell - Sell - Sell, Your time your effort, your processing. They can afford it if their a major international company. Don't need to be greedy, but it might go further than you think. Getty started out somewhere didn't they???

All the best.