PDA

View Full Version : What video editing software?

ricktas
10-10-2012, 9:55pm
With my recent acquisition of a D800, I now have a DSLR capable of video. To date I have not tried video on it, but was wondering what video editing software members recommend.

Steve Axford
11-10-2012, 6:05pm
I'm fortunate coz my girlfriend uses final cut pro on a Mac. It is the standard for personal computers, but it is expensive. Videopad is a cheap option that will suffice, but it gives few options for post processing. Good luck. It takes a different mind set to produce good video. You have to create a story.

fishographer
11-10-2012, 6:20pm
Have used Sony Vegas Pro 10 on a Windows based PC and find it very user friendly, my brother uses a mixture of Final Cut, After Effects and Premier Pro all on a Mac and they seem to be the industry standard, its what he does for a profession.

ricktas
11-10-2012, 6:37pm
Thanks guys. I used to (many moons ago) use Pinnacle Studio, but googling recently shows it doesn't get good reviews these days. Might see if Final Cut has a 30 day trial so I can check it out.

Epoc
11-10-2012, 7:37pm
Avid Studio at $170 is an awesome bit of gear. Made by the legendary Avid who are renowned throughout he world as a leader in their field. Personally, I use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite. It's a bit cheaper and comes with a pro audio editor and DVD creator. It has a bit of a learning curve, but works with any video files I throw at it and produces outstanding results.

As your probably aware Rick, any video editing of HD video needs pretty high spec computers to get the best results. It mainly has to do with getting good previews of you edits and rendering time of the final movie.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

ricktas
11-10-2012, 8:15pm
My computer is specc' enough..hehe running 5ghz with 24gb ram, 4gb video card, with 3d blu ray burner capability.

Final Cut Pro is out (its Mac only). Downloading a trial of corel video studio at present to have a look at. Spose I will have to shoot some video with the D800 now to test it all out.

mors
16-11-2012, 8:51pm
Thanks for sharing

darkbhudda
03-01-2013, 11:55am
I've got roped into doing some extensive video editing so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

Lightworks (http://www.lwks.com/) looks good but the free version is limited in file formats due to codec licensing costs so I haven't been able to use it with my files. I'll be getting a year's license soon to try it out.

Videopad's free version is limited (http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html). You can't do colour correction, but you can do that and most of your post processing in Lightroom 4 in the Library module then export the file and use Videopad.

If all you need to do is basic colour correction, brightness etc... and editing the start and end points of the video you can do that in Lightroom 4.

Avid Studio at $170 is an awesome bit of gear. Made by the legendary Avid who are renowned throughout he world as a leader in their field. Personally, I use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite.
I'll give these a try. Cheers Epoc.

darkbhudda
04-01-2013, 1:50pm
I tried Lightworks out last night. Too complex and certain essential features missing. Trying out the others over the next week.

ricktas
04-01-2013, 2:14pm
thanks. I haven't had a chance to give video much of a go since starting this thread. Hope to someday soon.