PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Natural Bridge 21 October for dawn

Analog6
03-10-2012, 7:59am
I am planning to visit NB in Springbrook National Park for dawn. If anyone would care to meet up I'd be delighted. I'll post times a little closer in afetr DST has started for NSW. I plan to only do NB and the water where it goes under the bridge just downstream, not the whole circuit, too many steps for me.

Breakfast afterwards at one of teh picnic spots, BYO everything. If interested, please poke your lens up.

dmaynard000
03-10-2012, 8:39am
Hi Odille. Lock me in. I will probably do a camp overnight.

Rattus79
03-10-2012, 9:35am
Count me a possible.

I've got a pano head and a fast 50 that's been itching to get under that bridge...

If I come, I too will be camping.

Analog6
03-10-2012, 10:15am
Where can we camp? I know there is a nice waterfall int he other section of the park, maybe we could do a sunset and then sunrise at NB.

Rattus79
03-10-2012, 12:45pm
http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/springbrook/camping.html

Hope this helps a little

Edit:
Crap! not Fires!!! well, that sucks!

dmaynard000
03-10-2012, 2:13pm
Works for me.

I imagine you could set up camp in the car park. Won't be anyone there over night.

Where can we camp? I know there is a nice waterfall int he other section of the park, maybe we could do a sunset and then sunrise at NB.

Rattus79
03-10-2012, 3:07pm
Setting up in the carpark is all fine and dandy until the ranger comes to lock gates etc.
I'd rather sort a proper camp and drive over earlier.

Analog6
03-10-2012, 4:00pm
Unfortunately the Settlement campsite is a LONG drive from the Natural Bridge area, and having been over it both ways I reckon it would be a pretty hairy drive int eh early hours!. I'll probably just drive up on the morning, I've done it in the past and it only takes an hour or so.

While exploring the local area x google I did find this place. I have meailed them to ask if it is possible for a group not related to youth development to hire the smaller camp - it would be ideak for a photo meet up group. Minimum stay is 2 nights, with 15 participants, on a self catering and cleaning basis, it would be $90pp, with 20 $69pp, with 25 $55pp and if we got 30 just $49pp. And the facilities are great. If the reply is positive I'll try and organise something for after school holidays next year, about late Feb/early March. There are some beautiful creeks and waterfalls on the property, as well as the proximity to natural bridge (2 kms).

dmaynard000
03-10-2012, 9:34pm
There is a park/picnic area just outside the town of Natural Bridge called Bochow Park - it has a parking area, picnic table(s) and some open space. It ids 4 km to the national park from there. I have stopped there bfore for a picnic. Would that be suitable for an overnight camp spot?

Analog6
04-10-2012, 5:35am
There is a park/picnic area just outside the town of Natural Bridge called Bochow Park - it has a parking area, picnic table(s) and some open space. It ids 4 km to the national park from there. I have stopped there bfore for a picnic. Would that be suitable for an overnight camp spot?

I know the one you mean - I have stopped there after NB shoots. It would be suitable, but are you allowed? Does anyone know if there is a sign specifically saying 'No Camping' there? And how likely would it be a ranger might come by and move us on?

SirLozalot
04-10-2012, 8:07am
Dam!!!

Would love to have join you guys - both to meet you and to photograph the NB which I have not seen yet. However, family circumstances mean I cannot be there.

Maybe next time.

Hope you get the perfect morning.

Rattus79
04-10-2012, 9:27am
Unfortunately the Settlement campsite is a LONG drive from the Natural Bridge area, and having been over it both ways I reckon it would be a pretty hairy drive int eh early hours!. I'll probably just drive up on the morning, I've done it in the past and it only takes an hour or so.

How far are we talking? Further then coming in from Brisbane (Inala Heights)?

spademan
04-10-2012, 1:18pm
I'm pretty keen for this, I've never been up the Hinterland !

I checked the weather forecast for the date :S .... But when is the weather man ever right ?

dmaynard000
04-10-2012, 2:37pm
Found a camping solution for this meet up.

There is a private horse riding/camping ground about 15 min past Natural Bridge called Numinbah Trails Gold Coast Horse Riding. They have camping sites for $10 per person. All non-powered. Link to the web page as follows:

http://www.numinbahtrails.com/numinbah_trails_contact.html

I rang and spoke to Karen. There are no camping bookings at that weekend so no problems with locking in. I told her a number of people from a photography forum will be interested but I couldn't give her a number. If you want to book, please mention you are from AP photography forum and she will make sure we are all put in the same camping area.

I will be booking in.

Hope that helps.

Rattus79
04-10-2012, 2:41pm
Excelent! Well done.

any mention of access for camper Trailers?

dmaynard000
04-10-2012, 2:45pm
Excelent! Well done.

any mention of access for camper Trailers?

Yes. Trailers and caravans all ok.

Rattus79
04-10-2012, 3:06pm
Excelent!

Now all I need to do is get permission from the wife.

Rattus79
10-10-2012, 5:33pm
Bugger.

It's right in the middle of my wife's exams. I tried to get her to let me ride my bike up there, but she's adamant that the camera gear goes no where near the moto .... :'(

41jas
16-10-2012, 12:30pm
Dam..Odile I wish I could come. I will be at the Zombie walk that afternoon but for us to camp it would have to be a Saturday night. Never mind, I'm sure there will be another time.

Analog6
16-10-2012, 1:14pm
I can't come now! I'm sorry folks, but we have to go to Coffs Harbour to visit Warwick's Mum in the nursing home (she is in the final stages of dementia) and clear up some stuff with the executor of the estate. it is the only weekend the executor can get there until the new year and it really needs to be done. I hope whoever was going will still go, and I plan to reschedule my visit there for the end of November.

Analog6
19-10-2012, 4:27pm
Chnage of situation again!! This is getting annoying. Executor can't make it to Coffs so I am going, but I'll drive over in the morning. I plan to be ont eh hills for pre-sunup so will get to NB around 5ish Qld time (6ish my DS time). Hope I'll see somebody there. If the big yellow van is there I am there. I plan to go circle right to go to NB, then go on to the creek crossing, then come back the same way. Too many steps for me on the full circuit.

dmaynard000
19-10-2012, 6:04pm
Hi Odille

Good to hear you can make it.

I was still going. Myself and family are camping overnight at the camp ground in the meetup thread so I will do some sunst photos also.

See you at 5 am on Sunday.

- - - Updated - - -

PS - you can come back to camp for breacky if you like.

David Maynard

aussieray
19-10-2012, 7:41pm
I am of the understanding that if the curcuit is done anticlockwise, the NB is accessible by (assisted) wheelchair. Obviously, gotta go out same way as as going in, but that wouldn't be a problem. If any participants of the AP group meet this weekend would be so kind and take note if the above is true please. I'm keen for a confirmation and a trip there myself in near future. Thanks in advance

Ray

Analog6
19-10-2012, 8:48pm
I am of the understanding that if the curcuit is done anticlockwise, the NB is accessible by (assisted) wheelchair. Obviously, gotta go out same way as as going in, but that wouldn't be a problem. If any participants of the AP group meet this weekend would be so kind and take note if the above is true please. I'm keen for a confirmation and a trip there myself in near future. Thanks in advance

Ray

From memory there are some steps, Ray, but I'l check for you. I use a trolley to transport my camera gear - due to my crook anklles - so I do notice steps. I am sure there are at least a flight of 3-5 on the last corner before you go down the cave under NB. Mind you, they are all lowish steps and the path is asphalted so you could probably negotiate a wheel chair if you were careful but you'd need a person to handle the back of the chair, so to speak. A wheelchair bound person couldn't so it alone, I am sure.

Rattus79
20-10-2012, 10:23am
I may make the trek out yet.
Bugger the wife. She can sleep in and study without me!

Unfortunately its a 1.5 hour drive from here and my car lights are crap.

If it wasnt for my big heavy panohead tripod, id ride the bike out.

Analog6
21-10-2012, 4:39pm
Ray - I photographed the circuit map. The track is asphalt as I said earlier, steps are clearly shown. They are not too awful, if you had a strong helper I think it would be possible. The 2 red lines indicate a little hard packed dirt track that lets you skip a couple of long flights. This subtrack has 2 steps at one end and 3 at the other end.

The trip might be a bit jolty for the wheel chair bound person but provided they were prepared for it and maybe add some extra padding for the trip should be OK. Note the roadway from the car park to the start of the track (100m?) is very rough and potholey.

I wondered if one of those chairs with the fatter tyres might be better?

If you want to show them the top of the bridge with the 'hole' take that offshoot dead end track to the left as you go down, has a nice viewing platform at the bottom.

aussieray
21-10-2012, 6:26pm
Ray - I photographed the circuit map. The track is asphalt as I said earlier, steps are clearly shown. They are not too awful, if you had a strong helper I think it would be possible. The 2 red lines indicate a little hard packed dirt track that lets you skip a couple of long flights. This subtrack has 2 steps at one end and 3 at the other end.

The trip might be a bit jolty for the wheel chair bound person but provided they were prepared for it and maybe add some extra padding for the trip should be OK. Note the roadway from the car park to the start of the track (100m?) is very rough and potholey.

I wondered if one of those chairs with the fatter tyres might be better?

If you want to show them the top of the bridge with the 'hole' take that offshoot dead end track to the left as you go down, has a nice viewing platform at the bottom.

Thanks very much for taking the time to take the photo, and provide all this information to me. Looks as though there are enough stairs to prevent me from visiting. Bummer :(

Analog6
22-10-2012, 6:46am
I found iout that you can camp at that roadside picnic/rest area, about 2 kms north of NB turnoff, but for one night only. However, extra facilities notwithstanding, the camping place David found by the river is far nicer.