PDA

View Full Version : How can I avoid images looking like this??

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 12:14am

ISO 100, 1/4sec, 24mm, f11 .... foreground section

I have been editing some sunset shots and this is what one of them is looking like when I zoom in. I haven't seen this before in my images.

The image itself isn't overly dark and I basically dodged and burned areas in the editing.

How can I avoid this??

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 1:47am
I found out.....somehow I forgot I sharpened in Lr and then went into Elements and then sharpened AGAIN!!! I am tired....making silly mistakes. Time for bed. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WhoDo
01-10-2012, 10:45am
How can I avoid this??

The other thing I've found with LR4, Monika, is that when dodging or burning the software makes decisions about which areas you meant to dodge/burn. I found that out by burning some backgrounds that I wanted to make "disappear" and found it was patchy, at best in some shots with marked areas of contrast. The end result is some very blotchy dodging/burning and it looks just terrible. I think I need more experience with LR4 to work out how to adjust the presets to avoid this sort of selective processing. There must be a "threshold" setting somewhere that I'm missing.:Doh:

Glad you found out what you'd done on your own, though. :th3:

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 10:50am
I think I know what you mean! If I want to dodge or burn, I might just use layers in Elements for that from now on. I think I did do a bit of dodging in Lr4 before going into PS on this image. Anyway, I started from scratch again and it is okay now.

WhoDo
01-10-2012, 11:10am
I think I know what you mean! If I want to dodge or burn, I might just use layers in Elements for that from now on. I think I did do a bit of dodging in Lr4 before going into PS on this image. Anyway, I started from scratch again and it is okay now.

Glad it's okay now, Monika. I think the culprit is the "Automask" tick box in the brush tool. It uses contrast to decide which areas to apply the effect to unless you go over them with the little + symbol in the centre of your brush area. Next time I want to burn out a background I'll use the brush with that feature unchecked and see if it makes the difference. I like the "Automask" feature because it stops you crossing into areas you don't want changed, but in this case I think it's getting confused i.e. where there are areas of strong contrast. :confused013

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 4:31pm
I use that too when I want to see where I am going...but I didn't think it would affect it and make it patchy??!! Need to do some tests I think!

WhoDo
01-10-2012, 5:07pm
I use that too when I want to see where I am going...but I didn't think it would affect it and make it patchy??!! Need to do some tests I think!
Just tried to tone down a background with burning while the automask was unchecked. No more blotches. I guess it's a trade-off like everything else. :confused013

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 5:19pm
I am editing some weekend shots and realised I never put the automask on! I was thinking the 'show selected mask overlay' button. So, that isn't the problem I was having....it was definately sharpening in both Lr and PS. Well, now I know I won't use the automask. ;)

WhoDo
01-10-2012, 5:27pm
I am editing some weekend shots and realised I never put the automask on! I was thinking the 'show selected mask overlay' button. So, that isn't the problem I was having....it was definately sharpening in both Lr and PS. Well, now I know I won't use the automask. ;)
Oh, it definitely has its uses, like when you're trying to dodge right up to the edge of a subject for example. I was just leaving it on by default when I discovered the effect on backgrounds with uneven or high contrast areas. Don't let me turn you off it, Monika, 'cause I'll still use it but not by default. :Doh:

Ms Monny
01-10-2012, 5:46pm
Oh, good! I will give it a try with some less contrasty images! I also have seen that if I have used the dodge and burn in Lr, when I go to sharpen in PS (and add a border etc) those little square artifacts crop up (like the image above but not as bad!). Hmmm, something to trial out I think.