PDA

View Full Version : D600 start-up kit on a budget

Cage
30-09-2012, 11:22am
OK, it seems I've made my mind up to jump ship to Nikon.

I've looked at all the Nikon lens offerings, and what a fine line up it is.

Did a quick tot up of what I'd like to start with, and the bottom line made my head spin. and my debit card cringe. :eek:

A reality check was in order, and a rethink of what I really need and will use.

So, to get me started, and at a price I can afford, I've come up with this selection.

I've not considered any 'G' lens as I assume they have no aperture ring. I've also chosen to go with primes where possible, because I believe that they are optimised for their particular focal length, as opposed to a zoom which maybe tries to do too many things,and don't get me wrong because I'm sure there are zooms out there that can achieve excellent results.

I should mention that because of my slightly shaky hands I shoot 90% with a tripod, so VR is not a big advantage for me.

Wide Angle:
Nikon +/- 20mm f2.8, or similar,
Either AF or MF as I will mainly shoot old buildings and landscapes, and the hyper-focal distance on FX at f2.8 is 7m.

Walk Around:
Either a Nikon AF 50mm f1.4 or f1.8

Mid Telephoto:
Either the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, the non macro version (I have the original for my K5 and it is a cracker) or maybe the Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8 which is about 1/2 the price of the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Is the 70-200mm twice as good for twice the price other than the VR?

For The Birds:
Once again VR is not a big requirement here as I will use a gimbal head, and MF is not a deterrent.
I'd like a 500mm, and in my googling I've come across lens like the Nikkor ED 500mm 1:4 P for around 2K. Any ideas of similar primes in this focal length that can be had for around the same money?

OK, I've probably come up with the odd 'Dog' and this is why I'm posting, to try to avoid the pitfalls of ignorance.

All help appreciated.

arthurking83
30-09-2012, 7:31pm
First up, don't be afraid of the big bad G nomenclature!
I'd be surprised to see if all the features that a non G lens allows on a camera body to be available on a D600 level camera. Although in saying that, if video is important to you then a non G lens may be a major factor in lens decision!! D600 doesn't allow the power operation of the aperture whilst shooting video! If variable aperture whilst shooting video is important(usually it's not!) then a non G lens is a must.
Apart from that, there is no reason to not choose a non G lens equivalent, unless you regularly do stuff like lens reversal high magnification and so on. Any negative commentary you may have read about a lens not having an aperture ring, is almost certainly from people with a particular need.

Wide Angle:
Nikon +/- 20mm f2.8, or similar,
Either AF or MF as I will mainly shoot old buildings and landscapes, and the hyper-focal distance on FX at f2.8 is 7m.

Personally, I'd be inclined to avoid these 'old banger' lenses now. There are much better value for money lenses available for not too much more money nowadays.
I don't mean old banger as in condition of the gear, I mean old banger designs. Remember they were designed for film, and way back how many years ago! You can still get some odd pearler lenses that still have the capacity to produce results on par with the newer designs, but these are rare and hard to find anyhow.
From memory this lens usually retails for close to $600-700 or so .. for about $300-400 more you could have the super impressive 16-35/4 lens which is a better all rounder lens for tripod mounted landscape work.
Almost all lens test results clearly indicate a lens such as this performs as good as or better at f/4 than the prime is at f/4.... if that's important to you.
Only real advantage to the prime is size.... for architectural work it's a no brainer ... the zoom lens any day, as distortion on the prime is about 3x what the zoom produces at about 20mm!

Walk Around:
Either a Nikon AF 50mm f1.4 or f1.8

Here I'd go with the new 50/1.8 AF-S, which is obviously a G lens too! The 50/1.8 D lens is good, and so is the 1.4 equivalent, but again, for all round general niceness the newer AF-S lenses of both aperture types work better.

Mid Telephoto:
Either the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, the non macro version (I have the original for my K5 and it is a cracker) or maybe the Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8 which is about 1/2 the price of the Nikon 70-200 f2.8. Is the 70-200mm twice as good for twice the price other than the VR?

The OS version of the Siggy is a nice lens at a very good price. If optical stabilisation is not important to you then have a look at the very cheap Tammy version! Very nice lens, except for one focusing issue it has!
Whilst it's true that the focus feels and acts slower than the ultrasonic focused lenses, that isn't the real problem. This lens can't seem to acquire focus when using live view. :confused013
I used to think it was a big deal, and it is an issue, but it's never really stopped me from using liveview with the lens! I generally do it manually anyhow with this type of lens(ie. tele).
Whereas with the UWA lenses, I use AF in liveview mode a lot!!

For The Birds:
Once again VR is not a big requirement here as I will use a gimbal head, and MF is not a deterrent.
I'd like a 500mm, and in my googling I've come across lens like the Nikkor ED 500mm 1:4 P for around 2K. Any ideas of similar primes in this focal length that can be had for around the same money?

Not 'the same money' but similarlish money is the Sigma 500 f/4.5. It has ultrasonic HSM focusing, and they generally sell for low 4K money.

500 AiP is a well regarded lens, and is high on my priority of things to get before I die .. but only at a good price .. high 1K's or low 2's at most. Some can go for as much as $4K, but as they say in The Castle .. he's dream'n!! :D

OK, I've probably come up with the odd 'Dog' and this is why I'm posting, to try to avoid the pitfalls of ignorance.

All help appreciated.

Lots of good Nikon gear around and as they say the Nikon stuff is absolutely top notch stuff, as Lance has already reiterated in the D600 thread. The stuff that is well regarded and highly coveted works at the peak end of how gear works .. but I still think, Nikon should have killed off the old AF-D prime range long ago and updated them to at least AF-S, but more importantly with better optical ability(mainly coatings and and lens aberrations).
Those primes look to be too outdated in today's world of high Mp cameras ... as an example, the old 17-35/2.8 lens which is a zoom, generally produces nice images all round than the prime does, but has the extra versatility of being a zoom. If the prime was an f/1.8 lens(ie. such as the 28/1.8) then it'd be excusable, as it offers some advantage over the zoom lenses. But as it stands there really is very little advantage in choosing the prime, compared with the zoom, other than size.

I dunno what your budget is in terms of both short terms and eventually long term, but a D600 with a 16-35VR would make for a great start up setup, add to that the relatively cheap 50/1.8 AF-S lens and a Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS to go with your order!

All up outlay will come close to about $4.5K give or take a hundred and depending where you source all the gear from.

Cage
01-10-2012, 11:03am
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Arthur.

Firstly, I was confused about the 'G' lens, thinking they were a 'stripped down' model, and not Nikon's latest incarnation.

The 16-35mm f4 seems like an ideal lens for my style of shooting. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

I concur with you about the 50mm f1.8. It seems better thought of than the f1.4 alternative.

The Sigma 70-200 f2.8 seems the go in the mid-range sector.

For long range I've had a re-think, particularly after checking what the DOF was on a 500mm lens at f8. Auto focus seems a necessity if I ever want a keeper. That Suzuki of mine is looking more like a Sigma 500mm every day.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Kevin

Tommo1965
01-10-2012, 5:23pm
personally I'd go for the 50mm1.4D..the 50mm AFS lenses are shockingly slow to focus..the slot drive AF 50s are quite a bit quicker and as far as IQ and sharpness go the 50 1.4D is pretty good also a lot smaller ..the slowness of the 50mm 1.4 AFS stopped me buying one

as far as the 70-200 goes..try and find a good used Vr1..they can be had for the same amount as a new sigma...

Film Street
01-10-2012, 5:55pm
personally I'd go for the 50mm1.4D..

That is a great lens, I like it too. That would be a good choice also.

Cage
01-10-2012, 6:34pm
Thanks Steve and F/S.

It's great to get feedback from people who have the actual lens.

Cheers

Kevin

arthurking83
01-10-2012, 7:47pm
Tommo has a point, and the D version is a few quid cheaper than the AF-S version as well .. BUT!
(and this is where my issue lies, so your mileage may vary!)

For quick manual focus over ride when things aren't going too well(in terms of focusing), those AF-D lenses are a right pain in the BU ... errr, I mean fingers!

I got rid of my 80-200/2.8 which was AF-D, mainly because it was too inflexible when it came to manually over riding focusing.
The Tammy I subsequently got produces a bit more sharpness, but the ability to manually over ride focus in a pinch was more important for those low light times when focus went here, there and everywhere but where I actually wanted it too.

The other issue, is accuracy. An equivalent AF-S lens has the mechanics to adjust focus to a much higher precision than an AF-D lens does.
That's the main reason that the AF-S lens is slower to focus than the AF-D version .. it's set that way by Nikon. The other reason is that it's a micro motor type design, and not a full blown SWM ring type AF-S system(which are faster to focus).

I prefer more flexible focusing ability over absolute speed any day.

So that's where personal preferences diverge, and how you prefer to operate becomes important.

Now, I would only seek out an AF-D equivalent lens, where no AF-S version/equivalent exists.

With that in mind, keep the Sigma 50/1.4 lens as an alternative option too .. even tho it usually costs more than the Nikon equivalent does! :confused:
It focuses fast, but is a behemoth of a lens(for a 50mm!) and is about the size of an 85/1.4.

old dog
01-10-2012, 7:58pm
hey, good for you Kevin. You can try my 35f2D if you want when you get the 600.

WhoDo
01-10-2012, 10:15pm
Glad you're jumping in the right direction, Kev.

If it was me, I'd go for the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (it's my favourite lens by a long way), the Nikkor 300mm f/4 with a 2X TC (for birds) and look toward the Sigma 12-24 wide angle for landscapes. Hey, what do I know? Well, I know what it's like to try to satisfy your champagne passion on a light beer budget! If the budget stretches that far, I'd also look at the Sigma 150mm macro. It's all well and good to go hard and spend thousands on great glass, but we are talking about a full kit change here, including a D600 body. Maybe you should start haunting eBay as well!;)

Cage
02-10-2012, 11:23am
hey, good for you Kevin. You can try my 35f2D if you want when you get the 600.

Cheers Graeme.

Thanks for the offer. Dunno about the 35mm focal length on a full frame. It's not a length I've really used.

When I make the switch I'd certainly like to try it though.

Lance B
02-10-2012, 11:57am
I am glad that you have decided to take the plunge and go Nikon, as long as it suits what you want.

As Arthur has pointed out, the 16-35 f4 VR may suit you and it is a fabulous lens, IMO. I use this lens much more than my (legendary) 14-24 f2.8 as it is more versatile due to it's zoom range, VR and the fact it can take filters. Here is a shot taken at 1/3rd sec handheld, VR being of great assistance!

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/125439034/original.jpg

As for a fast prime, I never use the 50mm focal length on FF, rather opting for either slightly wide angle or slightly telephoto and hence why my only two primes, other than the 105 f2.8 Micro VR, are the 35mm f1.4G and 85mm f1.4G. I just find that the 50mm length is too narrow for most things and to wide for others and the 35mm f1.4G is great as a walk around prime when you don't want to use a zoom. If you decide on a 35mm but your budget it tight, then maybe the 35 f2D would suit or the 28mm f1.8G which is quite the stellar performer, apparently.

The 300mm f4 from Nikon is a superb lens, sharp as anything but only misses out on VR. It works well with the 1.4x TCII without any IQ degredation that you'd notice. However, it does slow up to be a 420mm f5.6, but that's not that much of an issue as you can ramp up the ISO to compensate for loss of shutter speed as the high ISO ability of the D600 is top notch. However, you do lose a little of DR at the higher ISO's.

As far as I know them Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is a very good lens, just that you need to be aware of lens to lens sample variation as their QC can be hit and miss at times from what I have heard. As Thommo pointed out, if you can get a good used 70-200 f2.8 VRI, then that would be my pick as it is still a stellar lens.

Once you've got your new camera, and if you're down in Sydney, maybe we can meet up at Taronga Zoo or somewhere if you want some tips and pointers etc. I have a guest pass that gets you into Taronga for free.

Film Street
02-10-2012, 12:02pm
, the Nikkor 300mm f/4 ;)

Another great choice.

Cage
02-10-2012, 12:09pm
Glad you're jumping in the right direction, Kev.

If it was me, I'd go for the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (it's my favourite lens by a long way), the Nikkor 300mm f/4 with a 2X TC (for birds) and look toward the Sigma 12-24 wide angle for landscapes. Hey, what do I know? Well, I know what it's like to try to satisfy your champagne passion on a light beer budget! If the budget stretches that far, I'd also look at the Sigma 150mm macro. It's all well and good to go hard and spend thousands on great glass, but we are talking about a full kit change here, including a D600 body. Maybe you should start haunting eBay as well!;)

I guess time will tell if I'm jumping in the right direction Waz. It is a huge leap for me, and I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate all the help and encouragement I'm getting on this forum.

The Nikkor 50mm 1.8D is very appealing, particularly @ $68 from eglobal, plus $49 shipping (they don't miss you at the checkout do they?).

After some reality checks (and budget constraints) the Nikkor 300mm f4 with a 1.4X T/C (giving me 420mm without sacrificing much IQ) seems like the way to go on the long side of things. I'd buy that locally for warranty peace of mind.

I'd looked at the Sigma 12-24mm but was unsure if I could use my Cokin wide angle filter holder on it as it doesn't have a filter thread, although there appears to be some sort of threading inside the hood.

I've been lusting after the Sigma 150mm Macro for a long time, but it wasn't available in Pentax mount.

And I hear you when you mention trying to juggle champagne tastes with a beer income, or in my case, no income. How much are kidneys going for these days?

Thanks again for your helpful input. When I get it all sorted we'll have to organise a day, maybe at the botanical gardens.

Cheers

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

Another great choice.

I think so too. :th3:

Cage
02-10-2012, 1:28pm
@ Lance

Thanks again for another insightful and helpful reply. As I said in another thread, my reasons for the switch pretty much parallel your own, and I particularly picked up on your comment that when you moved to Nikon, things just worked like they were supposed to.

The 28mm f1.8G seems like a lens worthy of consideration. It gets me into the narrow end of the wide angle range, and would probably even suffice as a good walk around length. Hell, I remember when 28mm was the wide angle lens of choice.

I've got a zillion searches running on fleabay at present, at will jump if the right lens shows up at the right price.

However I do have a tight starting budget and have narrowed my initial kit down to the following.

1. Sigma 70-200 f2.8, or preferably the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, if I can snag one for around the same money.
2. Nikon AF-S 300mm f4 D IF-ED with a 1.4 T/C
3. Nikon 50mm, probably the f1.8D, because that's all the change I'll have left over for.

My wish list will be maybe the Nikon 16-35mm f4 and a Macro.

OK, time to get the ball rolling. Nikon Land, here I come.

Oh, and I'd love to do a day at Taronga Park when I'm all set-up.

Thank you for the support and help. It's a big move for me.

Cheers

Kevin

Lance B
02-10-2012, 1:33pm
@ Lance

OK, time to get the ball rolling. Nikon Land, here I come.

Good luck with it all, Kevin!

Oh, and I'd love to do a day at Taronga Park when I'm all set-up.

Look forward to it! :)

swifty
02-10-2012, 1:37pm
I'll add that if u don't mind cropping, the 28/1,8G makes a pretty decent 42mm equiv f1.8 10MP DX crop on the D600.
~40mm's my preferred 'normal' FL too as I find 35mm a touch wide and 50mm a touch long.

Cage
02-10-2012, 1:38pm
Thank you everybody for you help. For better or worse I've decided on my initial kit as per the post above.

It's times like this that you really appreciate being part of a great forum family. :D

Cheers

Kevin

old dog
02-10-2012, 3:49pm
once again....good for you Kevin. Sounds like a nice kit.

mongo
03-10-2012, 9:52pm
re the bird lens, Mongo likes the 500 f4 P lens and may well get one soon. It is a very good lens for the job and for the money. Will work well with 1.4 converter (but not sure how good with X2 converter).

Would also strongly consider a AIs 400 f3.5 because it is said to work extremely well with a Nikkor 301 (X2 converter).

All your other choices seem fine.

gqtuazon
07-10-2012, 9:41am
I'm not sure how much is the price difference in your area but If I was to start on a budget without breaking the bank, I would get just two lenses for now.

Nikon 28mm f1.8G: $600 USD: Great wide angle lens when mounted on a full frame. Fun lens and provides creamy bokeh.

Nikon 85mm f1.8G: Portrait low light lens.

Optional: Nikon 50mm f1.8G. Just not a fan of the 50mm FL.

Why 28mm f1.8G? With the current Nikon Full Frame, one of the features that it offers aside from the DX mode is the 1.2x crop mode. So, for a 28mm, you can make this to a 33mm (approx) and 42mm FOV in DX mode. Same goes with the 85mm.

For longer zooms, on a budget, I agree the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 or Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 would be ok.

Cage
07-10-2012, 1:53pm
re the bird lens, Mongo likes the 500 f4 P lens and may well get one soon. It is a very good lens for the job and for the money. Will work well with 1.4 converter (but not sure how good with X2 converter).

Would also strongly consider a AIs 400 f3.5 because it is said to work extremely well with a Nikkor 301 (X2 converter).

All your other choices seem fine.

Thanks for the input Mongo.

I've been doing some research on the 500f4 P and it seems highly regarded, particularly IQ wise. Lack of AF and VR doesn't affect my birding style as I always shoot off a tripod. I've seen some tidy 500mm's go for not a lot more than a new 300mm F4 + T/C.

When I think about it, the two areas I really want critical sharpness are for birding and macro.

I've also been giving some thought to how much weight I'll be carrying, and am currently playing around with the idea of adapting a light golf buggy as I'll then be able to utilise my heavy, but quite stable, old tripod, for use with a longer lens.

Cheers

Kevin

old dog
07-10-2012, 4:11pm
might have to get a pack horse Kevin......park it in your back yard...:th3:

Cage
07-10-2012, 5:15pm
might have to get a pack horse Kevin......park it in your back yard...:th3:

Gee thanks Graeme.

You are full of bright ideas. :lightbulb:

Either that or a Sherpa.

old dog
07-10-2012, 7:59pm
:lol:

cupic
12-10-2012, 3:47pm
The next couple of weeks Ill be listing my Nikkor300mm afs + a 1.4TC for sale

cheers

Cage
20-10-2012, 6:06pm
Only four more sleeps (I hope, if all falls into place). :efelant::efelant::efelant:

D600, here I come. And I'm not expecting a miracle camera to make up for my shortcomings.

cupic
20-10-2012, 10:17pm
I see you have almost divested from your Pentax Portfolio,over at the other marketplace

Cage
21-10-2012, 8:31am
I see you have almost divested from your Pentax Portfolio,over at the other marketplace

I'm working my way through it. Boy, I sure have accumulated some gear.

I still have another 1/2 dozen lens plus T/C's and macro tubes etc to sell.

Cheers

Kevin

old dog
21-10-2012, 10:22am
hope it all goes to plan Kevin. Look forward to checking out the new kit. We are off to NZ tomorrow so will catch up when we get home. You should have mastered the new camera by then..:th3:

Cage
21-10-2012, 12:19pm
hope it all goes to plan Kevin. Look forward to checking out the new kit. We are off to NZ tomorrow so will catch up when we get home. You should have mastered the new camera by then..:th3:

Thanks Graeme.

With a bit of luck I should have the camera and one lens next week. Fingers crossed.

Cage
25-10-2012, 4:49pm
WoooHooooooooo :efelant::efelant::efelant:

They have arrived !!!!

My new D600, AF-S 300mm f4 ED IF and an AF-S 50mm f1.8G.

First impressions:
Camera Looks great, doesn't seem too complicated, but I think the MB-D14 grip will feel better in my largeish hands.

AF-S 300mm f4 Wow, this thing is built like a brick outhouse. Very impressive.

AF-S 50mm f1.8G Looks like a beaut little walk around lens. Gets great reviews.

Well, to say I'm one happy little Vegemite would be understating the obvious.

Now saving and selling stuff like mad to get the AF-S 16-35 f4.

Cheers

Kevin

Tommo1965
25-10-2012, 5:48pm
nice one Kev...Im really interested in the 300F4..so once you're done testing it..if you could post some images and your feel about the lens, that would be very helpful .

Cage
25-10-2012, 5:58pm
nice one Kev...Im really interested in the 300F4..so once you're done testing it..if you could post some images and your feel about the lens, that would be very helpful .

Will be my pleasure to post some shots from my new pride and joy Tommo.

Battery is charged and in. All I need to figure out now is how to use the camera. :confused013

Actually it's not too confusing. Just working my way through configuring the various buttons to suit my requirements, the first is to shift 'auto focus' off the shutter button.

Cheers

Kevin

WhoDo
25-10-2012, 6:32pm
WoooHooooooooo :efelant::efelant::efelant:

They have arrived !!!!

... snip ...
Well, to say I'm one happy little Vegemite would be understating the obvious.

Hehe! And the best is yet to come, once you start ogling those FF images on your PP machine of choice! Keep any eye out for sensor dust in the top left corner (as you look at the image) - some copies apparently have a gap in the shutter curtain (http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/22/the-nikon-d600-has-sensor-dust-issues/#more-82145) that pumps stiff into that area. Only affects about 1 in 4 units according to LensRentals so the odds are in your favour.

You will miss the Pentax, but you won't regret the move to Nikon either. Just make sure you keep the GAS under control. :p

Cage
25-10-2012, 8:03pm
Thank for the dust alert Waz.

I guess my first shot should be of a white wall @f16.

- - - Updated - - -

Well my first shot was of a white wall, really exciting stuff, and it all appeared clear of any spicks 'n' specks.

PS: I'm not going to concern myself with what may, or may not, be wrong with it, I'm going to learn how to get the best out of it and enjoy it.

WhoDo
25-10-2012, 10:10pm
PS: I'm not going to concern myself with what may, or may not, be wrong with it, I'm going to learn how to get the best out of it and enjoy it.
That's the Nikonian spirit! :cool:

RRRoger
29-10-2012, 12:38am
I like Nikkor zooms.
The AF-S Nikkor 28-300 is my all-around favorite lens.
I have one for my D600 and a second for the D800.
I also use my 14-24, 17-35, 28-70, 70-200, 80-200, and/or 80-400 less than 10% of the time.
Not needing the reach, I no longer carry the 200-400 or Sigma 300-800

As for any brand 70-200, except for the newest Nikkor VRII,
I think the "old" AF-S 80-200 is superior on FullFrame Cameras.

And, as for the 16-35, I sent mine back.
If you don't need VR why not get a 17-35
I find F/2.8 a lot more useable.

Cage
08-11-2012, 8:54pm
Update.

Firstly, I'd like to again thank all those who took the time to help me with this rather difficult decision to switch camps, and to put together a reasonable kit to get me started in Nikon Land.

As mentioned previously I now have the D600, AF-S 50mm f1.8G and the AF-S 300mm f4 and am LOVING all of them. :love::love::love:

I was seriously considering the 16-35 f4, but today I hit the 'BUY' button on an AF-S 28mm f1.8G. I think it will suit my genres just fine.

I'm now down to a mid-range tele, and the 80-200 f2.8 is looking good and within my budget, and a macro down the track.

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you too Lance.

You alerted me to the AF-S 28mm f1.8G. It sure does review well. :wd:

Cheers

Kevin

arthurking83
09-11-2012, 9:52pm

I'm now down to a mid-range tele, and the 80-200 f2.8 is looking good and within my budget, and a macro down the track.

I'm not normally one to recommend against a Nikon lens, but this is one I usually tell folks to seriously reconsider.

While it's a good lens, and is very capable in most respects, it has(or can have) various flaws when compared to other lenses in this focal length range.

Sigma 70-200 with OS is almost certain to be better in many ways, and I know that the Tammy 70-200/2.8 is better in most if not all respects(other than solidity)

The 80-200/2.8 is an absolute tank of a lens(going by feel, not actual impact experience) but it feels as though you could use it as a hammer in an nail driving emergency!
By comparison, the Tammy feels a lot more flimsy, but that's not to say it IS flimsy, only that when compared to the N80-200 it feels like plastic and a lot .. lot! lighter.
Even the much loved 70-200/2.8's feel less solid than the 80-200/2.8

But mine was let down by an annoying tendency to backfocus to begin with, but when I set it to focus correctly, even then, the Tammy had slightly better contrast quality at wide open apertures and the longer end of the zoom range.

But more importantly was the focusing system .. being not only AF-D and not allowing easy manual override(the Tammy non focus motor type is easy to over ride), but also the mechanism to over ride from Auto to Manual is well known for being fragile if used frequently.
An ex member on here broke his after on a couple of months, and his lens was purchased new.
Mine never broke tho, so this strange anomaly was a bit hit and miss, but the point is that it's known to be fragile.
The mechanism is this M-A ring type system, also seen on other lenses of this era(85/1.4 AF-D among others) and some are more prone to breakage.

The other annoyance is the design of the front of the lens.
Many of us would normally advise against the use of protective, or UV, filters on lenses .. but this one is of the design type that really needs it.
The front barrel is open ended, and the front lens element if recessed into the barrel which moves back and forth inside the barrel to fit the description of 'internal focusing'!
What happens is that dust accumulates very quickly inside the lens unless you fit a protective filter of any sort(UV/CPL/Skylight/whatever) ... and the front of the barrel is rubberised to assist in creating a firm seal.

The focusing noise is best described as a graunchy loud and not particularly fast mechanism too.

On many ways it's a great lens .. awesome bokeh, and very rich colour reproduction and all that, and when the focus is nailed(and the image processed accordingly) the images can be second to none.
But it takes work, and the lens's negatives outweighed it's positives(I reckon).

I replaced mine with a Tammy 70-200, back in early '09 ... and have never regretted it(apart from the loss of the creamy bokeh rendering).

In the next 12 months or so, I'll end up with a 70-200/2.8 lens with optical stabilisation of some type .... not sure which one exactly yet ... but the Tammy will stay with me as well as it's been far better value for money.

just some of my thoughts for 'ya.
(I reckon I'll end up with a VRII in those next twelve months too ;))

Cage
09-11-2012, 10:20pm
Gee thanks Artie.

Just when I thought I had it all sorted, you send me back to the drawing board. :confused013

As a previous owner of an 80-200, you are more than qualified to make a considered evaluation, and this is one of the things I like about this forum, the fact that someone else has usually 'been there, done that' and is willing to share their experiences.

Obviously the 70-200 f2.8 VRII is my top pick, but it is twice the price of the alternatives, and I just can't see it being proportionately that much better. I think Rick has the Sigma incantation and he seems pretty sold on it.

I have searches going on fleabay for all three brands, so I'll see what comes up.

Thanks again Arthur, I think.

Cheers

Kevin

PS: I've just sold my Pentax mount Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX and it was a bloody ripper of a lens. I don't know whether I just lucked onto a good one, but I wish I could have kept it.

RRRoger
10-11-2012, 1:10am
I don't know about the "latest" 80-200. It is supposed to be very good.
I had a "push-pull and had lots of trouble with it, but others liked it.
I took it back and got the AF-S version.
On FullFrame, I think it is better than anything but the much more expensive AF-S Nikkor 70-200 VRII

Tommo1965
10-11-2012, 10:51am
Im not sure the 80-200 can be bought new in AFS anymore..I think its the older AF version thats still available..I think Nikon canned the AFS 80-200 when they released the 70-200VR I

I tried the new Sigma 70-200 OS and it was very good..and only a tad behind the Nikon...I still bought the Nikon though is a mad moment...do I regret it..Nah

the Nikon VR II can be had for a bit over $2000 from various grey vendors , theres a bloke in perth that brings gear ib and is selling it for $2181 with no import tax as they are already here.

the VrII is the only lens I've bought new...the others I've been lucky with Gumtree

peterb666
11-11-2012, 9:42pm
As for a fast prime, I never use the 50mm focal length on FF, rather opting for either slightly wide angle or slightly telephoto and hence why my only two primes...are the 35mm f1.4G and 85mm f1.4G. I just find that the 50mm length is too narrow for most things and to wide for others and the 35mm f1.4G is great as a walk around prime when you don't want to use a zoom.

I agree with you there. It is a little while since shooting ff but I used a 35mm f/2 and 85mm f/2 or f/1.8 almost exclusively. I too found the 50mm f/1.8 either too narrow or too short most of the time. It wasn't a good compromise.

I tend to shoot wider these days and would most likely go for a 24mm or 28mm and 85mm. I have been thinking of picking up a D600 in the not too distant future and already have a 28mm f/2.8 AF lens (pretty ancient being a pre-D AF lens) and the ubiquitous 50mm f/1.8 AF-D so not much to add in full-frame lenses (and also adequate ff coverage to 500mm).

Lenses like the 24, 28mm and 85mm AF-D lenses are quite cheap and tough as guts.