PDA

View Full Version : D600 + DX lens

deef
19-09-2012, 2:45pm
This the result from using a DX lens on the D600. The lens is the Sigma 10 - 20 f4-5.6. @ 10mm.
The vignetting is reasonable and cropping it out still leaves a good sized image. Plenty of resolution to play with. Would just need to make sure that important parts of the image are not near the edges.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/JED_HSV/Aus%20Photography%20uploads/DS6_0046%20-%20Sigma%2010_zps7d28a944.jpg

The cropped image
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u251/JED_HSV/Aus%20Photography%20uploads/DS6_0046%20-%20Sigma%2010%20-%20cropped_zpsde44f9d2.jpg

danny
19-09-2012, 9:31pm
I was going to post the following... What would happen if you put a DX on the D600? Looks like you answered it for me. Great to know thank you.

How is the D600 going? I was in the process of upgrading to the d7000 then the D600 was released :D. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Danny

ricktas
19-09-2012, 9:41pm
Interesting that the D600 does not detect the DX lens and adjust the sensor usage automatically. The D3, which is a few years old now, when you put a DX lens on it, would automatically darken the outside edge in the viewfinder and crop the captured image to fit the image circle of the DX lens. Check your manual John, it might just need turning on, in the menu for the D600

swifty
19-09-2012, 9:55pm
I was going to post the following... What would happen if you put a DX on the D600? Looks like you answered it for me. Great to know thank you.

Danny

Some DX lenses actually have image circles covering FX. The 35mm f1.8G DX comes to mind (still some vignette though). And I believe many DX zooms will cover FX at the longer end of their zoom range.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting that the D600 does not detect the DX lens and adjust the sensor usage automatically. The D3, which is a few years old now, when you put a DX lens on it, would automatically darken the outside edge in the viewfinder and crop the captured image to fit the image circle of the DX lens. Check your manual John, it might just need turning on, in the menu for the D600
The Auto DX Crop is also default to ON on the the D700 but can be turned OFF too. Maybe its defaulted to OFF on the D600 or maybe Deef turned it OFF to demonstrate the DX lens effect.

danny
19-09-2012, 10:09pm
I just finished reading a review by Cnet that said that the camera can auto pick up DX lenses and adjust to DX format.

deef
20-09-2012, 7:49am
Thank you all for the hint. I must put the camera down and sit down with a huge cuppa and the manual. :)

I checked the setting on the camera and auti dx detection is on, so that is what you get. Remember that the lens was zoomed as wide as it would go, 10mm, so the vignetting is as severe as it will get and it is much less at the 20mm end.

@ Danny... Having only had it for a couple days now, I'm still forming my opinion. I'm really liking it so far but one thing I don't like is the lock button on the exposure dial which is very awkward to manipulate.

ricktas
20-09-2012, 7:58am
Maybe the Siggy 10-20 doesn't communicate fully with the body and the lens is not being detected as DX, cause the camera should auto-crop the scene so you do not get that vignette in the resultant photo at all. My guess is that it is a Siggy/Nikon datafeed issue between lens and body. I might check my D800 this morning with a siggy 10-20 and then a nikon dx lens.

ricktas
20-09-2012, 8:43am
confirmed. The siggy 10-20 is not recognised as a DX lens by the camera. My Nikon 18-200 instantly did and adjusted the image area automatically/

Film Street
20-09-2012, 8:59am
This issue will be confined to third party lenses. The D700 does not recognize Tokina DX lenses as DX - an advantage for the 11-16mm. The D600 should auto DX with all Nikon DX lenses.

ricktas
20-09-2012, 9:19am
remember that you can still tell the camera that the lens attached is a DX one. Use the menu to adjust the crop factor.

enigmatic
20-09-2012, 10:17pm
I too was pondering a 7000, then this appeared. Shame I don't have the funds and don't think I can justify it to my skill level!

flashc
21-09-2012, 1:53am
Hi...

Just the info I was wanting to confirm, and now I've seen your DX crop result pics, and that Nikon and other branded DX lenses will work ok on the D600.

I was looking at a D800 but I think I'm about to make the decision to buy a D600 as It looks like I can use my Nikon DX lenses too. My opinion (early days) is that the Canon 6D just doesn't seem to make the same grade.

Could someone confirm that virtually any old or new Nikon branded lens (FX or DX) including those without a focus motor will work ok with the D600. I think I read that the body has a drive pin to autofocus "D" series lenses.

I @ M
21-09-2012, 2:27am
Could someone confirm that virtually any old or new Nikon branded lens (FX or DX) including those without a focus motor will work ok with the D600. I think I read that the body has a drive pin to autofocus "D" series lenses.

Page 285 of the manual confirms (http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/d600/d600_en_01.pdf) it all for you. :)

The D600 looks to have the same functionality as past and present D### series bodies with regard to lenses. The lenses that won't mount and or work on that body are listed a few pages later.

flashc
21-09-2012, 3:30am
Page 285 of the manual confirms (http://www.nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/d600/d600_en_01.pdf) it all for you. :)

The D600 looks to have the same functionality as past and present D### series bodies with regard to lenses. The lenses that won't mount and or work on that body are listed a few pages later.

Just what I wanted... Usually download manuals from the USA but couldn't find one there. Thanks, I'll have a read...

deef
21-09-2012, 8:21am
Hi Flashc. My first shot that I posted up in anither thread was taken using an older 50mm f1.8 D series lens.

It works perfectly. :)

@ Enigmatic... If the D600 is beyond your means at the moment don't fret. The D7000 is a fine camera and at around $1000 for a grey kit is fabulous value and will keep you busy for a long time. It may be half the price but it definitley not half the camera.

flashc
21-09-2012, 3:35pm
Hi Flashc. My first shot that I posted up in anither thread was taken using an older 50mm f1.8 D series lens.

It works perfectly. :)

Thanks for that info... I have all Canon brand DSLR's and compacts and recently bought a Nikon D5100 just to give the "other" system a try. I'm quite happy with it for the price I paid (Locally Au) and it seems to have some of the little features I would have liked in my 7D - In my opinion, lower noise for one and I hope the D600 is good with low noise and has a better dynamic range than my 7D.

Bought this instead of a D7000 as a new D600 release seemed imminent but I thought that I would have to wait 6 months for D600 stock to be available.

I can't use my Canon EF-S "Crop" lenses on a FF Canon, so that's why I was checking out the lens situation on the Nikons. I do have some expensive full frame lenses I use on my 7D, so I'll probably just continue running both systems, if I go for the D600.