PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane and surrounds, where to see some birds/animals

Lance B
18-09-2012, 11:56am
To all you Brisbane bird watchers and animal lovers, I am going to Brisbane for a few days and would like to know of any bird/animal locations that anyone could recommend for me where I am almost guaranteed to get some birds, like maybe some Bee Eaters or Kingfishers or the like. More than happy to go to zoos or nature reserves as I do not have time to be waiting or going somewhere "just in case" a bird may appear. I may go to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where I am guaranteed to get at least something.

Thanks in advance.

tropix55
18-09-2012, 1:43pm
Hi Lance, Lone Pine Sanctuary would be a good starting point in Brissie for birding as the do a good BOP (eagles, Kestrels and owls)
Show there about mid-day on most days, but check the times as they do close entry after the show begins, due to the birds flighty nature...

also there is a platypus aquarium and other native animals good to photograph as well.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers :beer_mug: Tropix55

Rattus79
18-09-2012, 2:51pm
Boondall wetlands are good. There are more wetlands out Wynnum as well.
Forest lake has some good stuff too, if you're into ibis and water hens ... I have seen some spoon bills there too.
although I have seen some arguements between water foul that would blow your mind.

outside of Brisbane:
Border Ranges National Park - Birdlife astounds here. Stuff I can't even guess what they are.
Plus the drive out there is awesome!

Lance B
18-09-2012, 6:35pm
Boondall wetlands are good. There are more wetlands out Wynnum as well.
Forest lake has some good stuff too, if you're into ibis and water hens ... I have seen some spoon bills there too.
although I have seen some arguements between water foul that would blow your mind.

outside of Brisbane:
Border Ranges National Park - Birdlife astounds here. Stuff I can't even guess what they are.
Plus the drive out there is awesome!

Thanks for the tips.

I have been to Border Ranges, and other attractions around the area many a time when I was young as we used to go to Fingal Head for holidays every Christmas when I was young. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lance, Lone Pine Sanctuary would be a good starting point in Brissie for birding as the do a good BOP (eagles, Kestrels and owls)
Show there about mid-day on most days, but check the times as they do close entry after the show begins, due to the birds flighty nature...

also there is a platypus aquarium and other native animals good to photograph as well.

Hope it helps :)

Cheers :beer_mug: Tropix55

Thank you very much for the tips. :)

Warbler
18-09-2012, 7:06pm
Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious perhaps, then down into the Samford Valley? Nice drive too. Watch out for motorbikes.

Rattus79
18-09-2012, 8:57pm
Yeah, as of this weekend, I will be one of them! :D