PDA

View Full Version : Flash help for beginner with some spare time ;-)

Homer
15-09-2012, 6:41pm
Hey all,

I've got some spare time on my hands, and while I will be using some of that time to read and practice this hobby, I would also like to have a try at some flash photography.

I want to buy a flash to sit on the hotshoe of my Canon 450D that has TTL. I would also like to have 2 more flashes to sit in various positions around my subjects, preferably with working TTL.

Will the Yongnuo YN465 or the YN565 or even the YN 568 work?

I would like the two off shoe flashes to work with TTL but from what I have read, this isn't gonna work. Am I right in thinking that I could just dial the flash strength of those two flashes manually myself, and then I could set them up so that they would go off when they 'see' the main flash?

Film Street
15-09-2012, 7:03pm
Try Nissin Di622 II or Di866. They work TTL. The 866 will allow individual adjustment. The 622 has only one TTL channel

Homer
16-09-2012, 11:07am
Thanks for the suggestions ;-)

I've done a bit more looking around and I am leaning towards buying initially just the one flash, the Canon 580EX II. There are a couple used examples for sale so I will probably go that way. That way I will have something that will communicate wirelessly with the other flashes, which at this stage will probably be the Yongnuo YN565's. At the moment though I think I will just get the one flash and then practice :)

I think I have been racing a little far ahead! :lol2:

achee
18-09-2012, 5:40pm
For when you get back to your strobist plans... I'd suggest not worrying about TTL for your off-camera speedlights, because 1) once you're doing stuff like setting up multiple flashes you're probably wanting full control, and 2) TTL speedlights are more expensive, and 3) TTL remote triggers are much more expensive.

Yes, you could trigger the off-camera speedlights by them 'seeing' the on-camera speedlight firing, this is called optical slave mode. I don't think the 580EX II supports this, but the YN-560 does. (I think the YN-560 and YN-560II are great!!)

Homer
18-09-2012, 9:13pm
Thanks achee for you reply! :)

I couldn't help but continue to think about this (my wife thinks I'm a little obsessed right now LOL), and I reckon you have a good idea there. I've ended up purchasing a Yongnuo 565 which will give me TTL when it is on the hotshoe. I have told myself that I am not going to need the other two flashes yet, so having the one flash will give me a chance to slowly practice and give me the time to slow down and learn before I start having a go at running a few flashes. When I do get to that step, I will go with your other suggestion and buy a couple YN-560's.

My new flash should arrive tomorrow! I wish I didn't have to work!!!!!:angry0: :D ;)

Pobbs
18-09-2012, 9:47pm
Yay I was going to suggest that one based on replies I've had. My 560II arrived today. So excitement for me :)

snappysi
19-09-2012, 4:06pm
you should look into getting a few cheap wireless transmitters/receivers as well. Your strobist journey will be MUCH more rewarding once you get the flash OFF the hotshoe.

Simon.

achee
20-09-2012, 9:16am
^X2. Even with only one flash! They're only around $20-$30.

Doktaduck
20-03-2013, 4:24pm
Just jumping in a stealing the thread in the hope I can avoid making a similar thread...

I want an off camera flash, and have been considering the speedlight 430EX, how ever looking into reviews and lots of forums, I think this Yongnuo YN568EX YN-568EX TTL High Speed Flash Speedlite for CANON (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yongnuo-YN568EX-YN-568EX-TTL-High-Speed-Flash-Speedlite-for-CANON-5D-Mark-III-7D-/150895352947?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item2322105c73&_uhb=1#ht_9056wt_1192) will do the job for half the price. My question is to take this off the camera, what else will I need? It says it is "Compatible with Nikon and Canon Wireless Flashing System" does that mean I don't need any Tx/Rx systems? Will TTL work off camera? looking for use with the Canon 650D, so if anyone has this setup I would be very appreciative of being pointed in the right direction..
Thanks