PDA

View Full Version : Make pdf file size smaller

Analog6
15-09-2012, 8:18am
I have created a business card in Photoshop. The company wants the pdf at 600dpi so I created it as a psd at 600 dpi then converted it to pdf. The file is 3.3MB - it has to be under 2MB. How do I make it smaller? Any help much appreciated.

ameerat42
15-09-2012, 9:04am
Memory(???) Can't you set the dpi output in Photoshop for the resulting pdf? Set it lower than the PSD's 600, or change the psd's 600 first.
(OK, I'll go and check again.)
Am.

Right, well in CS2 at least, you have a box called "Adobe PDF Presets" where you can select pdf quality.

Analog6
15-09-2012, 12:17pm
That worked, thanks very much.

nwhc
18-09-2012, 1:23pm
Seem strange to want a business card file at 600DPI, from photoshop export as a photoshop EPS then use adobe distiler to make it a PDF This gets rid of a few common errors involved with creating PDF's from photoshop and Indesign.

Analog6
20-09-2012, 3:36am
I owrked out how to make it smaller thanks to some help from lex Treloar over at Brisbane Photography. The trick was to (a) flatten from a tiff file, then when converting turn off Ediutign in Adobe and Quick view options. I thought the 600dpi was odd too, but it said if you had text it must be 600. I'll try it your way.

- - - Updated - - -

I owrked out how to make it smaller thanks to some help from lex Treloar over at Brisbane Photography. The trick was to (a) flatten from a tiff file, then when converting turn off Ediutign in Adobe and Quick view options. I thought the 600dpi was odd too, but it said if you had text it must be 600. I'll try it your way.

nwhc
21-09-2012, 11:21am
Glad you got it figured out,

but that seems strange to me text is fine at 300 dpi even 72 dpi in old newspapers the reason is that being a proper PDF it stays vector as soon as you flatten the file the text become bitmap and pixelly.