PDA

View Full Version : Long reef sunrise shoot - saturday, 15 september

NikonNellie
07-09-2012, 8:56pm
Hi All

Danielle has lost her photography mojo and needs some inspiration as indicated in another thread. In order to help her along in her quest, I would like to hold a dawn meet at Long Reef on Saturday, 15 September.
If you would like to come along and help Danielle regain her creativity and enthusiasm for the passion that we all share, then please come along to support her.

I will post the details up later on in the week but if you intend to come along then please post your intentions in this thread. :D

Danielle10
07-09-2012, 10:38pm
Aww Nellie! Thanks honey, hope to catch up with everyone.

NikonNellie
08-09-2012, 9:41am
No problems Danielle. Hopefully we get a good turn out. :)

Danielle10
08-09-2012, 11:24am
After speaking with Peter this morning it seems it may be mid to high tide so thinking long reef may not be ideal. Maybe we can do a sunset?? Or another location?

peterb666
08-09-2012, 2:05pm
High tide will be approximately 7:22 am at 1.5m

Xenedis
08-09-2012, 3:07pm
Long Reef is definitely a low-tide location. Much of it is inaccessible during high tide. Besides, the place is all about reflections, like this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4448510259_0c7a93829d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenedis/4448510259/)

I cannot make it on the 15th (doing a Photoshop workshop all day), so have fun (if you head out).

NikonNellie
08-09-2012, 6:01pm
I'd be happier with a sunset shoot but we will have to put our thinking caps on for a good location but if you all want a sunrise shoot I'm happy with that as well. I will try and do some research over the weekend. :)

Xenedis
08-09-2012, 6:07pm
I'd be happier with a sunset shoot but we will have to put our thinking caps on for a good location but if you all want a sunrise shoot I'm happy with that as well. I will try and do some research over the weekend. :)

I've done a few eastward-facing dusk seascape shoots (including the last seascape session), and in my experience, the conditions are a lot easier, as you're facing opposite the sun, meaning dynamic range is greatly reduced and a softer type of image is the result.

if you get good clouds, the setting sun bounces off these and the result is pinks and oranges offset from the pastel blue and mauve you get from the eastern sky after sunset.

If dawn and sunrise is going to be craptscular, keep an eye on the cloud cover forecast for the afternoon and then head for a dusk shoot. IMO and IME the results can be very worthwhile.

NikonNellie
08-09-2012, 9:02pm
Thanks for that info John.

I am now going to propose something entirely different........how about a late afternoon/sunset shoot at.......
wait for it.......tada!

The Boothtown (Greystanes) Aqueduct as seen at this link:

http://www.canalreserve.org/reserve/reserve.html and pics here: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/boothtownaqueduct

If we had a model we could combine it with a portrait shoot. Just a thought - I know it will be a bit of a drive for some.

Let me know what you think and if you really hate the idea we will go back to a beach shoot somewhere.

raccoon
09-09-2012, 8:08am
Sounds ok.. Also some good news, we may have an new TOG at our meets...Its the one and only Lyn (my boss).. we bought her a Nikon 1 V1. and yestday was happy to go picture taking in the park :efelant:

shanel7D
09-09-2012, 5:37pm
:gday:. Newbie to the forum and mega green with my camera but Danielle suggested I come along and meet you all. Figure it's a great way to meet new people and get some pointers at the same time. If you're all happy for a novice to come, I'd love to :)

xxdrakexx
09-09-2012, 7:35pm
Hmmm would love to go as I'm in Wyong on a holiday and I'm so mich closer to AP members but I have no idear wear those locations are dispite living on the coast for 11 years lol and id have to use public trasport so id think a sunset cause I don't feel like catching rhe 4:30am train to central lol ill have to work something out

sent from me phone using Tapatalk 2

NikonNellie
09-09-2012, 8:02pm
The more the merrier guys - just a keep an eye on this thread to see where we finally end up. :D

ktoopi
09-09-2012, 10:23pm
I'm up for a meet!:)

peterb666
10-09-2012, 9:49pm
I should be able to make Saturday at Greystanes.

Danielle10
11-09-2012, 12:58pm
Cool that place looks great, have no idea where it is but I'm sure I'll find it- should we make a picnic out of it?

peterb666
11-09-2012, 1:18pm
Plus one for a picnic.

NikonNellie
11-09-2012, 1:37pm
Great idea Danielle. Looks like this meet is a goer ,so I will post up the details in the next couple of days.

judybee
11-09-2012, 1:38pm
Hi there, I will check to see if we have anything on.
Umm, I didn't know there was an aquaduct in Greystanes ...:eek:

NikonNellie
12-09-2012, 12:54am
Hi there, I will check to see if we have anything on.
Umm, I didn't know there was an aquaduct in Greystanes ...:eek:

I didn't know it was there either Judy - our closest friends live in Greystanes and they have never mentioned it in all the years that we have gone to visit them. Hope you can make it so we can catch up with each other. :)