PDA

View Full Version : Billingham Hadley Pro Bag... a bit gay or classy?

Ventureoverland
04-09-2012, 9:17pm
OK, so after looking for a new shoulder bag / man bag to carry the 5D3 c/w 24-70 f2.8 L and 70-200L f2.8 (both with hoods) I finally stumbled on the Billingham Hadley Pro.

Its the perfect size for the combination I want to carry. Nothing else seems a perfect fit.

I love the quality of the Haldey Pro and I prefer the canvas tan colour to the sage or black... But is it considered a bit gay looking for a bloke to carry about? I suspect opinions will be divided, but opinions please.

http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/bags/billingham/hadley-range.html

Thx
Jon

ricktas
04-09-2012, 9:28pm
Stop worrying about what someone else might think, and buy the bag that you want, that meets your needs.

Worrying about what others think is what stops so many from attempting and therefore achieving things they want to.

mikec
04-09-2012, 9:28pm
I guess it depends upon your own style. They have a pretty retro / classic styling so I guess it just depends upon your own style.

Have a look at Domke and the Jack Collection by Jill E they have similar retro styled bags that are a little different.

PS. Whilst I get what you mean you should probably be a little careful with the way you word things, it can be offensive to some people.

WhoDo
04-09-2012, 10:04pm
Hmmm... looks very much like MY bag (http://www.digitalcameragear.com.au/shop/camera-bags-cases/tamrac-camera-bags/tamrac-aero-50-camera-bag)! :D Nobody's ever commented on my perceived "gay" nature when swanning around with this over my shoulder. Then again, at 192cm and 165kg it would take a very determined person to make that point within arms reach!:beer_mug:

Ventureoverland
04-09-2012, 10:37pm
Thanks for all the replies. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone, but without dwelling in that...

I have looked at the Domke bags, they were actually the reason I went into foto reisel, wasn't too impressed.

I'll check out the others you mentioned though. Unless they happen to be perfect for my equipment and cheaper, I'll probably end up with the billy though.

Thx
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Eberbachl
04-09-2012, 10:45pm
If it'll carry your stuff, go for it!

gerry
05-09-2012, 1:18pm
lol, well if it makes you look 'gay', then it maybe a improvement since most of the 'gay' people have pretty damn good dress/trend sense :)

seriously though, the beige does look crap, but thats just my opinion :) although it does not look too much like a camera bag which is always a plus.

Ventureoverland
05-09-2012, 1:33pm
Well after the general consensus was that it looks ok and that it fits my gear (or at least the bits I want it for) perfectly, having had another look in the shop this morning I finally splashed out on the canvas tan version.

I've had it a few hours now, loaded up with 5D3 and 24-70 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L and even managed to get my tripod secure under the cover. During that time it's been over my shoulder on the train and through the airport.

Even without the optional shoulder pad the bag doesn't feel uncomfortable, sits nicely on the shoulder and doesn't move around much at all. It's very comfy (then again, for the $$$ it's should be!).

Time will tell how I get on with prolonged use, but so far so good.

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

gerry
05-09-2012, 1:39pm
excellent, good to hear you got it sorted and it meets your needs, but now for the important aspect, do you feel a little bit gay? :th3:

Ventureoverland
05-09-2012, 1:51pm
LOL:)

At the risk of offending others... I'm not going there!

...but No.

Then again it's got a big Manfrotto tripod stuck in at at the moment so the idea of it not looking like a camera bag and more of a 'man bag' is out 'the window at the moment!

Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Ventureoverland
05-09-2012, 1:56pm
Photo attached with tripod under cover:

Sent using Forum Runner

WhoDo
05-09-2012, 5:05pm
Ooh, Baby Poo yellow on my monitor! Tres Chic!:D

jjphoto
05-09-2012, 5:47pm
I have one of the Haldey Pro bags, not that there's anything wrong with it. I also have a couple of other Billingham bags which I've had for about 20 years and they are still going strong. Although they are very expensive they are built to last (although the original, ie old, inserts are not worth a piece of shit and will eventually degrade into nothing but cloth). The new inserts are made of a different material and will probably last, just guessing..

Of all the bags I have, I have a few, I tend to use the Hadley Pro if I'm just wandering around as it's about the right size for a body a few lenses. I would typically bring one body and up to 6 manual focus lenses (primes, not large zooms). That all fits fairly comfortably and is not too heavy, even for me and I am fussy about weight. Great bag. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up!

Bennymiata
07-09-2012, 8:31pm
I reckon they look good.

aussie girl
07-09-2012, 10:05pm
Is that a tripod in your pocket...or are you just happy with your new bag:)

Honestly, as long as you are happy with your purchase, it fits all your gear, it's comfortable to lug around and it protects your camera/lenses etc. who gives a toss what it looks like???? now if it was pink with sparklies on, someone may ask THAT question, but tan for the man is fine by me:rolleyes: I bought myself a backpack because my shoulders and elbows really start to ache if I carry anything heavy around, each to their own. Mine fits my camera, two lenses, bird book, and my Manfrotto tripod (a bit more slimline than yours) which I dismantle by taking the head stem out of the legs part and then it sits top to tail in the side of the bag.

Analog6
08-09-2012, 8:30am
Why would it make you look 'gay'? I had a wonderful Billingham 455 bag, but unfortunately by the time I put all the gear in I couldn't carry it! They are a top class brand and an excellent product. I purchased mine from Teamwork Digital in the UK.

Ventureoverland
11-09-2012, 9:26pm
Thanks for the input people, much appreciate it.

I am happy with it, it carries what I wanted it to carry and is comfy on the shoulder.

I'm also now at one with the tan on man thing:)

J

Sent using Forum Runner