PDA

View Full Version : Smug mug and the like - allow digital downloads?

pmack
31-08-2012, 4:00pm
I recently set up a smug mug pro account so i could link up images from my wordpress blog to a platform where they could be purchased.

However I've only enabled prints to be ordered, so I haven't set up prices for digital downloads.

It's of little surprise that I've not sold any prints in the first 10 days of my trial, but I'm now wondering if I've cut off my greatest chance of sales by not allowing the files to be purchased digitally?

Is that the most common form of images purchases these days, i.e. electronic file purchase?

If so, what is a good pricing structure for commercial downloads? (I see little point in personal downloads)
$20 for web, $50 for low res (1MP) and $100 for high res (4MP) seems like a fair starting point?
How do you think that compares to typical stock photo sites?

Wayne
31-08-2012, 4:15pm
I think many corporates prefer digital files. My QLD Govt clients and advertising agencies I have dealt with want them and will make their own prints if required. I sell digital 10:1 over prints. By not setting a price and therefore not available in Smugmug, you make it easy to move onto other photographers sites where they are available. make sure you have "right click" protection enabled in the gallery settings or they will be available...for free, also watermark them heavily if you want good protection.

Price is something only you can decide upon.

pmack
31-08-2012, 4:26pm
10:1, interesting!

I don't think disabling right click does anything to prevent theft - the image is on their computer so they can access it if they really want it (or even just screen grab if they're not tech savy)

So yeah i've just put a giant watermark on my images:
http://capturedabroad.smugmug.com/Events/Laos-Pi-Mai-New-Years-water/24878187_rDs6Nz#!i=2037039986&k=7DKppxS
http://capturedabroad.smugmug.com/Events/Laos-Pi-Mai-New-Years-water/i-7DKppxS/4/M/IMG3144-M.jpg
:D

I've just added downloads to my pics now. I'm a little sceptical of the license though. Basically it is very broad, and really lets the image purchaser use it as often as they want - for example from my interpretation, it could be purchased and then used on mulitple publications. A web developer could purchase it and use it on as many websites as they develop, etc. Plus no mention of needing to credit the photographer, so you could sell something for a measly $50 and it could be out there in dozens of places and without any credit given to you...