PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use strobes for baby pics?

sufran
31-08-2012, 12:31pm
For taking photos of newborns and infants, I have so far used natural light (e.g. from a window) or bounced flash. However, I like the crisp, clean images that often result from using studio strobes, and I was wondering whether any forum members use strobes to photograph infants? If so, where do you point the strobe/s (e.g. above the baby rather than directly at the baby), and have you had any issues with using the strobes on babies? (I am mainly concerned that using strobes will unsettle the baby). My strobes are 400w and I have medium sized softboxes for them. Thanks.

ricktas
31-08-2012, 2:18pm
Eyes are the one thing that fully develops in the womb, and therefore they are as adept at adjusting to light as your or my eyes. Yes, bright light will make a baby blink or close its eyes, but no more than it does for the rest of us.

JM Tran
31-08-2012, 3:03pm
its fine, baby will blink, but it tends to usually make them more curious than crying, a nice catch-light in a baby's eye is beautiful.

sufran
31-08-2012, 6:57pm
Thanks for the insights. Next baby shoot, if the Mum's OK with the idea, I'll try out the strobes. Interesting info about baby's eye development Rick - that's certainly good to know.

Sammi
03-09-2012, 5:22pm
I only ever use strobes with my newborn/baby photos, I use a 250watt strobe with a large 80 by 120cm softbox and i never have power above 1/4 for babys and always have the srobe at least 1.5 to 2 mts from bub, ive never had problems with any mum refusing to have photos done due to strobes... I wouldnt do anything to anothers child that i wouldnt allow anyone to do with mine.

sufran
03-09-2012, 8:09pm
Thank you for the very specific information - that's really useful!

scottgohphotography
11-09-2012, 3:41pm
interesting. thanks for info