PDA

View Full Version : Full moon

richardc43
30-08-2012, 7:14pm
how am i to get clear shots of the moon tonite? or tomorrow night very time i try it comes out blurry

Tommo1965
30-08-2012, 7:25pm
use spot metering of the moon..select a aperture of F5.6 @ 100ISO ..that should allow a 1/250-1/125 a sec shutter speed...snap away if you meter the black sky as well as the moon you'll end up with a molten white orb

use the longest lens you have

heres one I did earlier :)

http://tommo.smugmug.com/Night-sky/Moon/i-ZtNcjrc/0/X2/DEW5847-Edit-X2.jpg

ricktas
30-08-2012, 7:48pm
I think Tommo has given you all the right tips, there is not much more to add. Go out. experiment and show us your results.

Kym
30-08-2012, 7:55pm
1/2 or 3/4 moon works better than a full moon as there are more shadows on the moon surface, thus the detail shows better as Thommo has shown.

IF you use a tripod, turn of shake reduction (SR, OS, VR, IS), and use a 2 second mirror up delay for best results

BTW: This is one of mine http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?75156-Kym-s-52-2011-(try-something-new)&p=765605&viewfull=1#post765605

nardes
30-08-2012, 7:57pm
If you are using a telephoto lens and hand holding it, then you increase the chances of camera shake which will contribute to a soft image.

Mount your camera/lens on a sturdy tripod, use mirror lock up (if your camera has it) and use a remote shutter release so you don’t touch the camera.

The full Moon can be a bit bland, it’s like taking a portrait of someone with full frontal illumination; features are flat with no depth. If you wait until a half Moon, the sunlight is coming from the side and the terminator (line between illuminated/non-illuminated disc) should show a lot of detail as the craters and mountain ranges will have depth due to the sideways illumination.

However, still go out and try the full Moon – it’s always good fun and a great learning opportunity!

Good luck!

Cheers

Dennis

ameerat42
30-08-2012, 8:39pm
All true! All true! But what were you doing, Richard.
When you have a problem, try to describe it. That helps in solving it.
Anyway, good luck with the advice given.
I (at least) will expect some interesting shots soon.
Am.