PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-5 -- replacement rumour thread

Kym
23-08-2012, 7:24pm
Given the K-5 is nearly 2 years old and it is now apparently discontinued (http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-5-officially-discontinued.html) (i.e. not being manufactured) what will the replacement have?

My guess... 20-24 MP, 9-10 FPS, improved CPU and frame buffer, full HD and more video with video AF, pop out LCD display, improved metering, faster AF

Let the speculation game begin!

Will it come out before the Nikon D400?

WhoDo
23-08-2012, 7:26pm
:needs:

Snpsht
23-08-2012, 7:51pm
If you have a good dig through the Pentax forum, there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable guesses/leaks on what it might include. My prob is that, as a beginner, I don't really appreciate what it all means so I'd probably make some BIG stuff-ups trying to report them....but people there do seem a bit excited.

I already have an LBA and hope I don't also contract a BBA as a result of this change.....I don't think I will as I have by no means even made a moderate demand on the capabilities of the K-5 as yet.

Kym
23-08-2012, 7:58pm
http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php is on in September 18-23 -- would be the obvious time to announce the new model

Kym
23-08-2012, 8:03pm
If you have a good dig through the Pentax forum, there seem to be some pretty knowledgeable guesses/leaks on what it might include. My prob is that, as a beginner, I don't really appreciate what it all means so I'd probably make some BIG stuff-ups trying to report them....but people there do seem a bit excited.

I already have an LBA and hope I don't also contract a BBA as a result of this change.....I don't think I will as I have by no means even made a moderate demand on the capabilities of the K-5 as yet.

The K-5 is a brilliant camera!! Most of us don't go beyond its capabilities. It will give years of good service.

Cage
23-08-2012, 8:30pm
The K-5 is a brilliant camera!! Most of us don't go beyond its capabilities. It will give years of good service.

I not only don't go beyond it's capabilities, I don't even approach them. :Doh:

The main wish for the new model seems to be better Auto Focus. Other than some early models having some sensor stains, the only major reported problem is the lens dismount button. I haven't experienced either. My K5 will do me for a while yet. I love it.

Eberbachl
23-08-2012, 9:10pm
I love my K-5! Despite it being discontinued I'm thinking of picking up a second one on run-out :D Two year on it's still a great body. After 12 years of shooting Nikon I'm not looking back.

For it's successor, I'd like to see even better low light performance (which is outstanding already), and improved AF which I find is the only slight weak point for me in the K-5.

Will Pentax go full frame!?! Perhaps not now as the line up of FA lenses doesn't seem to be there yet, but if they did I'd certainly be tempted!

:efelant:

pixy
24-08-2012, 1:36am
I will still use my K7 for a while and see what happens,the K5 was a big step up from the K7 so maybe the K... will be a leap forward.

Rumour has it no full frame as yet, but as for lenses there are quit a few, all of my lenses are full frame from 18-500,it is also rumoured that full frame could come next year.

Jack.

kyteflyer
24-08-2012, 4:46am
Apart from anything else, I can't afford to replace my K-5!! This is a very expensive hobby we chose.

Snpsht
24-08-2012, 7:58am
I am actually considering selling my Olympus EP3 so I can buy a second K-5 body in the run out. I got my first one for $999 inc kit lens (on special at my local Teds), and if I can get one even cheaper, that would be amazing!

Lance B
24-08-2012, 11:14am
I already have an LBA and hope I don't also contract a BBA as a result of this change.

LBA. I wonder how many here realise it was I that made the term LBA famous on DP Review and was used by Pentax in their advertising about 5 years ago. I originally used the term back in 2004 on DP Review and has been attributed to me ever since, even though there were others that had used the term previously, however, I continually used the term and made it well known and used on that forum and was ever since attributed to me. The term was originally Lens Buyers Anonymous but was also morphed as Lens Buyers Addiction and then shortened to the acronym LBA. Pentax even presented me with a K20D and DA*300mm f4 lens as a reward for them using the term in their advertising. :D

See DP Review first use of the term by me:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=10974399

When I received the lens from CR Kennedy:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=27866214

Rattus79
24-08-2012, 11:47am
The main wish for the new model seems to be better Auto Focus. Other than some early models having some sensor stains, the only major reported problem is the lens dismount button. I haven't experienced either. My K5 will do me for a while yet. I love it.

You haven't had your mirror lockup on you then. Happend to me twice now. Have to remove the battery and put it back in again to reset it.

I still havent' found the wall on what the k5 is capable of. I still just love the fact that dxomark rates the sensor better then the 5d3!

Snpsht
24-08-2012, 5:04pm
LBA. I wonder how many here realise it was I that made the term LBA famous on DP Review and was used by Pentax in their advertising about 5 years ago. I originally used the term back in 2004 on DP Review and has been attributed to me ever since, even though there were others that had used the term previously, however, I continually used the term and made it well known and used on that forum and was ever since attributed to me. The term was originally Lens Buyers Anonymous but was also morphed as Lens Buyers Addiction and then shortened to the acronym LBA. Pentax even presented me with a K20D and DA*300mm f4 lens as a reward for them using the term in their advertising. :D

See DP Review first use of the term by me:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=10974399

When I received the lens from CR Kennedy:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=27866214

Well done - it is indeed an addiction - what about a 12 step program?

Thanks for the history lesson - it is great to know its origins, as it is indeed widely used now throughout the industry. It is also good to know you were rewarded for your creativity.

Lance B
24-08-2012, 6:55pm
Well done - it is indeed an addiction - what about a 12 step program?

There is no known cure other than to buy lenses. :D

Now that I am with Nikon, I still have the affliction, however, not quite as bad.

Thanks for the history lesson - it is great to know its origins, as it is indeed widely used now throughout the industry. It is also good to know you were rewarded for your creativity.

Yes, Pentax, through Ned Bunnell (one of the Pentax chiefs in the US) was quite nice about it and I got on well with Ned. I still do miss my Pentax gear a little and especially some of those fantastic older lenses like the manual focus "A" series lenses and the fabulous FA series AF lenses.

Kym
05-09-2012, 10:35am
I have it on slightly less than reliable sources that a Pentax K-5 replacement announcement rumoured to be
a) within 24 hours (5/9/2012)
b) within 7 days

Expect a 24Mp sensor based on the Sony Nex-7/A77 sensor, possibly tagged as a K-3
http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http://detail.zol.com.cn/334/333580/param.shtml

There are supposed to be 9 product announcements imminent, a 645DII is rumoured in that 9.

Rattus79
05-09-2012, 4:19pm
sadly, I will be sticking with my k5 for a good while longer yet.

WhoDo
05-09-2012, 5:10pm
sadly, I will be sticking with my k5 for a good while longer yet.

Why "sadly"? Nothing wrong with the K5 and some of the run out specials have almost had me wishing I was still a Pentax user. :p

Rattus79
06-09-2012, 11:42am
When I say a good while longer, I mean that it will be old and wrinkly (let-alone me) before i get to upgrade again....

Don't get me wrong, I love my k5, but I do hope they fix a few of my pet hates with this upgrade.
1) bring back the dedicated SR Switch. - Very annoying not having it and having to fumble though menus to find it every time you use a tripod
2) put the ISO button somehere you don't have to be double jointed to use in combination with the rear E-dial
3) better firmware - my k5 has crashed 3 times on me now thus missing the crucial point and forcing me to remove the battery to get it to restart
4) more frame-rate options in video mode and the ability to use video mode to do timelapses and save my shutter a pounding. (also goes for star trails)
5) (tongue in cheek) better high ISO performance :D

Kym
06-09-2012, 3:49pm
From Ricehigh's blog... The 9 announcements (Rumors)
So an upgrade to the K-5 (why??) and the K-3 24Mpx

The New Item Characteristics
RH's Certainty Level 1. K-300 16MP old CMOS sensor used in K-01 and K-30 (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/09/sony-sensors-used-in-different-pentax.html), re-using the K-r body, i.e., penta-mirror at 0.85X and 96% coverage. Close to 100%! 2. K-5N 16MP new CMOS sensor technology, new image processor, APS-C of course, 100% penta-prism finder at 0.92X, articulated screen, new 21-point (9-crossed, 12 linear (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/08/monday-dreaming-pentax-strikes-at.html)) SAFOX X AF system, improved continuous tracking and zone focusing, 8 fps, improved video functions (with manual control and continuous AF option during video recording, very possibly). Close to 100%! 3. K-3/K-3S*
*Name Tentative 24MP APS-C flagship, Sony IMX096 CMOS sensor (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/09/sony-sensors-used-in-different-pentax.html), new image processor, newly designed 100% coverage 1X magnification penta-prism (equivalent to 0.65X at 50mm for 135), articulated screen, 21-point SAFOX X AF system, 6 fps, enhanced white balance detection, enhanced video functions, stereo microphone built-in. Version without AA filter to be marketed later in early 2013, targeted/suggested price set at 1,400 Euros. The K-3 Super will be the highest resolution APS-C camera body ever on Earth and would put almost all the existing Pentax lenses to death! ;-p Close to 100%! 4. 645DII*/645DN*
*Name Tentative New top-of-the-line Truesense (formerly Kodak) KAF-50100 51.6MP CCD sensor (http://www.truesenseimaging.com/products/full-frame-ccd/64-KAF-50100) in 49.1 x 36.8mm (active pixels 50.1M), 645 film equivalent crop factor 1.1X (old 645D sensor was in 1.3X), improved image processing, SAFOX X, increased 60,000 shutter actuations/life (rated), other minor improvements, no video function, of course! :-> Close to 100%! 5. DA 18-200/3.5-5.6 WR DC Product is self-explanatory for its name, kit lens option with the K-3. 90%+ 6. DA560/5.6 (http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2012/09/da56056-new-type-built-in-motor-astro.html) 3 sections dividable, simplified weather resistant, new-type in-lens motor with quick-shift manual focus overriding capability, built-in astro-tracking, set price at US$3,800, manufactured only upon special ordering. 90%+ 7. DFA645 90/2.8 Its name is self-explanatory, for portraiture. 90%+ 8. AF600FGZ New flagship flashgun, finally, simplified Weather Resistant! 80%+ 9. O-GPS2 Updated/improved version of the O-GPS1 75%

gorillagirl
06-09-2012, 6:06pm
I'm looking forward to the announcement and release because the K5 will drop even further, I have a K7 but want a K5 and the K7 will be my backup body.

Kym
06-09-2012, 6:11pm
Given the K-5 is discontinued and people still want it (it is very good) the feeling is the price has bottomed out and may go back up a bit, if you can get one

gorillagirl
06-09-2012, 8:17pm
I'm waiting till I see one at a good price in Australia, plenty on the pentax forum but shipping is a killer. I've also just bought a DA 55-300 so I can't buy anything for a few weeks.

mudman
09-09-2012, 10:48am
if my lenses could not be used properly on a k3, my upper limit would be a k5.
the K3 and new lenses would be a very expensive upgrade for most

Kym
10-09-2012, 8:43am
if my lenses could not be used properly on a k3, my upper limit would be a k5.
the K3 and new lenses would be a very expensive upgrade for most

The Lens comment is a joke!

Kym
10-09-2012, 11:39am
Ricehigh rumor list updated -- AF600FGZ looks interesting

Rattus79
10-09-2012, 12:28pm
The K-3 Super will be the highest resolution APS-C camera body ever on Earth

I'm not sure I get this statement. How can they say this, when the D3200 has the same sensor?

I @ M
10-09-2012, 1:02pm
I'm not sure I get this statement. How can they say this, when the D3200 has the same sensor?

A slightly ambiguous statement maybe but not incorrect in theory. That is assuming that the author is talking about the Pentax rumoured to have a weaker or no AA filter.
If it is the same sensor as the D3200 and they both utilise the same amount of pixels on the x and y axis then in theory they are equal but as with the D800 and D800E Nikon the E model is capable of resolving more detail in an image. That is the point I think he is making. Perfectly plausible of course if the processor downstream of the sensor and the lenses used are up to the job.

Kym
10-09-2012, 1:08pm
The sensors maybe the same, but the way they are deployed in the Pentax or Nikon hardware (mother board if you will) and software varies.
The K-5 and D7000 implementations also vary slightly.
Eg. K-5 has ISO 80 and 51,200 that is not done in the Nikon, also Pentax hot pixel mapping maybe different etc.

In addition Ricehigh is strange in what he considers humor

Rattus79
10-09-2012, 1:25pm
Thanks for that clarification. I read about the aa filter, but didn't even think about it that way.

any way you look at it, the k-3 looks like it could be a super hot piece of kit. It still amazes me that pentax does not have a larger share of the market considering the quality for $$ offerings that they bring to the table.

WhoDo
11-09-2012, 12:38pm
Official announcement - K5-II and K5-IIs via Petapixel (http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/10/pentax-announces-its-new-flagship-k-5-ii-and-k-5-iis-dslrs/#more-73261).

squizzytaylor
11-09-2012, 12:43pm
All a bit of an anticlimax really, I was expecting (hoping) for a slightly more exciting offering, perhaps one day our pentaxian FF dreams will be fulfilled!!

GT

WhoDo
11-09-2012, 12:45pm
All a bit of an anticlimax really, I was expecting (hoping) for a slightly more exciting offering, perhaps one day our pentaxian FF dreams will be fulfilled!!

The K3 is still a very real possibility, Geoff. My guess is they're doing the K5-II first so it won't get overshadowed by the K3. Purely speculation on my part, of course. :confused013

JM Tran
11-09-2012, 12:55pm
definitely an anti-climax after the announcements, meh - back to more waiting for an FF model.

Kym
11-09-2012, 1:47pm
That is one of 9 expected announcements.
Photokina is still 7 days away

Kym
11-09-2012, 2:11pm
Some others...
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2012/20120911_7.html 560/5.6
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2012/20120911_9.html 18-270 F3.5-6.3 ED SDM

cadman
11-09-2012, 4:07pm
Doesn't seem any more impressive than my new K-30. Glad I didn't wait for this as I got the K-30 body for $750 and it is an excellent camera :th3:

squizzytaylor
13-09-2012, 8:01am
The K3 is still a very real possibility, Geoff. My guess is they're doing the K5-II first so it won't get overshadowed by the K3. Purely speculation on my part, of course. :confused013

I hope you're right Waz. Don't get me wrong. I'm still in love with my K5 (so much so I'll probably get rid of my K200 and KX) but would love to see a full frame Pentax.

pixy
19-09-2012, 8:14am
Mr Kawauchi of Pentax Japan,has said,Pentax will announce two new Camera`s later this year, to replace Kr & k5,and at the same time said FF is not a rumour,so a FF Pentax might be one of the offering`s later this year.

Jack

Kym
19-09-2012, 8:43am
@Jack - that announcement was last February.
As far as I can tell the K-30 and the K-5II were the 2 new camera this year.
The K-5II is stop gap, or at least that is what the rumour mill says.
Kym's guesses based on rumours and the fact that Ricoh have had a year to get things happening...

Next year a 24Mpx APS-C (K-3) - Sony sensor
Later a 645DII
Maybe a K-1 FF - but don't hold your breath

cadman
19-09-2012, 10:10am
Sony just released a FF sensor camera and seeing as Pentax seem keen on using the Sony sensors I would say that anything is possible :D

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

JM Tran
19-09-2012, 2:06pm
I'd like to see a lot of changes for the 645D if they ever release an upgraded model, would make it more worthwhile for work, the current model lacks some minor features that deters me for prolonged usage.

swifty
19-09-2012, 9:00pm
Let's not forget Pentax only recently changed owners.
As Ricoh's always been enthusiast orientated and maybe a bit quirky, it bodes well for some exciting future products from Pentax. I, too think the Sony 24mp sensor'll make a debut in a Pentax.