PDA

View Full Version : How do I kill this

pjs2
20-08-2012, 2:37pm
Since we have installed IE 8 we now get this message (top left of screen) which disconnects us from the Inet when it appears. Does anyone one know how to turn this off or at least tell me what it is, We are on dialup and it dosen't appear when I call home using my mobile phone.92441

Many Thanks
Peter

ameerat42
20-08-2012, 2:51pm
Hey Peter.

OK, I even downloaded the PDF and still only see a blank grey rectangle.
Am.

xxdrakexx
20-08-2012, 3:09pm
heres what in the PDF

- - - Updated - - -

the gray box looks like it could be something to do with your modem ?

pjs2
20-08-2012, 3:15pm
Hey Peter.

OK, I even downloaded the PDF and still only see a blank grey rectangle.
Am.

Are you not seeing anything at all except a grey rectangle. When I click on it I see a page with a little box yp in the top left corner .

Rattus79
20-08-2012, 5:29pm
use Chrome?

ameerat42
20-08-2012, 8:50pm
Nope! Now I'm confused. What's a good PDF plug-in for Chrome? Again, this is a recent development. (Development? Under-same.)
Am.

fess67
20-08-2012, 10:17pm
Could be a call waiting issue. Years since I had to do anything with a dial up modem.

This from iinet: https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Troubleshooting_dialup#toc_3

ricktas
20-08-2012, 11:01pm
The hint is right there. You are using dial-up and someone is trying to call you on the phone whilst you are connected to the net. Your computer is letting you know this and asking you if you want to disconnect from the net to take the incoming phone call.

Check with your service provider. If you have 'call waiting' you may have to disable that. Then any incoming calls will just get an engaged signal when you are on the net. Your mobile might not trigger it for some reason.

The other option, if you cannot get broadband is to investigate an ISDN system. This lets you have two dial up lines, gives you twice the speed, but when a call comes in, it takes one line, and the other lets you stay on the net. I had this setup till broadband came to my area about 5 years ago now.

crazymorton
20-08-2012, 11:02pm
Could be a call waiting issue. Years since I had to do anything with a dial up modem.

This from iinet: https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Troubleshooting_dialup#toc_3

I'd start with this theory. Use your handset to disable call waiting, ir's some combo of #* and numbers, i think they put it in the white pages at the front.

Ezookiel
21-08-2012, 12:24am
Do ISP's still OFFER dialup? That's a bit like going to a car dealer and finding they still offer specials on a horse and cart ;)
It looks like a call waiting issue from my reading of the error message. Dial up it was pretty critical to turn that off. It's even been known to kill broadband connections, so definitely turn it off. Odd that it only appeared since upgrading to IE8 though. Kind of makes me wonder if there's something more happening than appears.

ricktas
21-08-2012, 7:14am
Do ISP's still OFFER dialup? That's a bit like going to a car dealer and finding they still offer specials on a horse and cart ;)
It looks like a call waiting issue from my reading of the error message. Dial up it was pretty critical to turn that off. It's even been known to kill broadband connections, so definitely turn it off. Odd that it only appeared since upgrading to IE8 though. Kind of makes me wonder if there's something more happening than appears.

Previous versions probably just ignored the incoming call, but IE8 has most likely had something added to it that makes it present this wonderful little pop-up

pjs2
22-08-2012, 11:30pm
Call waiting now disabled. Fingers crossed .
Many thanks,
Peter.