PDA

View Full Version : Would these lenses fit?

xxdrakexx
20-08-2012, 1:08pm
I'm gessing I alredy know the answer but worth a shot. I have 2 lenses from an Olympus OM10 and I'm getting a Nikon D3100 would the lenses work on the nikon?

sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

ameerat42
20-08-2012, 1:32pm
I'm guessing you're guessing "No".
But somewhere in the world someone has come up with THIS ADAPTER. (http://leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html)

Pity when you've got a heap of good lenses and they can't be (easily??) used on other systems.

Am.

swifty
20-08-2012, 1:33pm
Technically you might find the right adapters to make the connection but I doubt you'll find the lenses very useful. It'll be manual focus only with likely no electronic connections so no AF confirmation, stop down metering etc. But I'd be careful to check it won't damage your camera first.

You might have some fun reverse mounting it for macro shooting though, again if u can find the right adapters.

xxdrakexx
20-08-2012, 1:39pm
you guessed right lol hmmm :rolleyes: might just buy a new lens when i need it lol

arthurking83
20-08-2012, 10:38pm
I just did a bit of searching and found out that because the register distance of the Zuiko lens is just a touch shorter than the Nikon, it's too hard to make a simply adapter for OM to F-Mount.
The difference in distance is a measly 0.5mm, but that means that an Olympus lens will not focus to infinity without some optical elements when fitted to Nikon bodies.

Basically, if you want to fit an Olympus lens to a Nikon(if an adapter exists) it'd cost a small fortune!

Easy way to get macro with the 50mm lens(is that a 50/1.8 or 50/2.8? front element looks like an f/1.8 sized lens) .. anyhow, the best way to get some macro work is to look for a Nikon reverse mount adapter.
Basically this is an F-mount ring with a filter thread where you screw the lens onto it, but reverse mounted. This gives you really close close up ability.
Ebay reverse mounts cost about $2-3!
BUTT!!!!! I'd hazard a guess and say that the front threads on the 50mm are probably 49mm, and not the standard 52mm that Nikon use a lot.
If so, then you will also need a 49-52mm filter adapter ring too .. another $2 or so.

magnification is high, so shutter speeds need to be high. Your working distance(distance from lens to subject) is extreme .. something like 1-2cm or so. You don't really focus as such in the traditional manner, you move back and forth to focus. can be hard, but is a very cheap way to get clear very close up macro shots.

The longer the focal length the less magnification you get when reversed, so the 135mm may allow you some macro ability, but don't count on it.

The reason why you want to use such an old lens reversed is very simple. It has a manually controlled aperture ring. Newer lenses(in Nikon terms that is any G type lens) is either very hard to use or impossible to use reversed for macro.
You need to keep the aperture fully open when framing and focusing, and then close it down just touch(one or two stops .. not too far) when actually shooting.

Works well enough, most nifty fifites do it well enough .. some better than others.