PDA

View Full Version : A Word of warning.

muggins
17-08-2012, 2:07pm
Just to let all members know I recently purchased a battery grip from a well known supplier here in Australia, through my credit card I have been besieged by a well known SCAM from paypal@ whatever, asking for my details. I have purchased quite a few items from reputable suppliers and this is the first time I have been targeted by these scammers. Beware They are OUT there. I have never dealt with paypal so they should not have got my details.
I if any interested parties would like details please contact me Via PM. I trust I am not violating any site rules doing this.
All the best,
Muggins.

ricktas
17-08-2012, 2:20pm
I think general reminders about security online are valid at any time.

muggins
17-08-2012, 2:41pm
Thanks Rick, I did not know if I was doing the right thing in alerting the members to this scam It is a very simple scam because I had never had any dealings with Paypal I may have been tempted to reply to this email. But when you are dealing with a reputable Australian company nobody expects to be subjected to a torrent of emails saying you have to reply and if you do not reply Your Paypal account would be shut down. Not that it would worry Me as I have not got account.
BTW This company is not affiliated in any way with Ausphotography.
all the best,
muggins

ktoopi
17-08-2012, 3:33pm
I have been barraged by that same Paypal scam! I get emails daily, sometimes twice a day. It looks very authentic but if you go to pay pal and read what they say about security you soon see the flaws. Luckily for me my antivirus software red flagged it as a 'phishing' email. It's driving me nuts though!:angry0:

Sifor
17-08-2012, 3:56pm
Eh, if I'm ever unsure about an email from a Bank/financial institution I always ring up and check with them. Usually they're easy to spot from a mile away, but there are some tricky ones where a call to the institution might be warranted.

Allie
17-08-2012, 4:20pm
That the spamming occurred after that purchase may have been coincidental and unrelated to your purchase. Your email address may have just been amongst the many that scammers try - I have had scam messages where my email address was among many similar ones where obviously they are trying any combination of letters.

As many companies now process "payment by credit card" by using paypal as a "secure" portal even if you do not have a paypal account, this has made paypal scams become more frequent. Good warning though, Muggins, thank you. Another good reason to use a different email address for purchasing on-line as if it is related to a purchase it is easier to track the possible source.