PDA

View Full Version : Rail Safety Week - 13-19 August - Use your brain - tracks are for trains

Kym
13-08-2012, 2:56pm
http://www.railsafetyweek.com/site/issues.php

Rail Safety Week aims to improve education and awareness around how to behave safely around railway lines and level crossings. If people go to take a risk around railway lines, they fail to realise that trains simply cannot stop quickly and that they are in fact risking their lives.

During Rail Safety Week operators come together to promote safety messages around level crossing and track safety. Train passengers are responsible for knowing how they should and should not behave on trains, around railway lines, at stations, and on rail property.

Mark L
13-08-2012, 8:21pm
I have some stuff to do with the N.S.W. R.F.S. and when our crews have to work around railway lines they will radio to say they need all trains stopped. Generally they will let a fire run until they know this has been done. You only ever come off second best if hit be a train.

Bennymiata
14-08-2012, 5:33pm
I was very dissapointed in this link Kym.
I thought there would be videos of people gettig creamed by trains.................but only boring words.

Did anyone see the train safety video made by Top Gear in the UK?
Showed a people mover getting creamed by a train doing over 100km/h.

Took the train about 800M to stop, and by that time, the car was just tin foil.
They had slo-mo's from various angles of the train hitting the car, and within a millisecond, one side of the car met the other.
Absolutely no hope for survival.

Don't be stupid or daring around level crossings.

Kym
18-08-2012, 10:04am
A 100 wagon loaded super freighter @ track speed (115 km/h) needs ~2.5 kms to stop. :eek:

xxdrakexx
18-08-2012, 10:09am
Scary enufg on a train station woth them coming past let alone being near the track:eek::confused::confused::eek::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

sent from me phone using Tapatalk 2

Kym
18-08-2012, 10:16am
I was very dissapointed in this link Kym.
I thought there would be videos of people gettig creamed by trains.................but only boring words.

Our national safety incident manager is a friend of mine, I've seen those pics - you really don't want to go there!
Level crossings exist to protect the trains (which can't stop) from you, the public.

Even when its just school kids walking in the rail corridor along side the track, I worry!
I saw a few the other night - its just stupid.
If they had any idea of how really deadly it can be they would not be there.

jenna
18-08-2012, 11:07am
Many years ago I was working with kids who would "train surf" sadly one kid ended up minus his legs as a result. Trains need to be treated with absolute respect.

TasEric
18-08-2012, 11:24am
I marvel at the fact that we need awareness campaigns about the dangers of what can happen if a small, squishy body makes contact with many tons of metal moving at high speed.
Seems like common sense, which is becoming very rare these days in a lot of areas.