PDA

View Full Version : memory card

jeuring
12-08-2012, 4:08pm
Hi, Is it best to transfer images from camera to PC with usb or remove memory card and insert that into pc. I realise there is probably no difference, but just wondering if constant removal of card will degrade it in time.
cheers
John

Sifor
12-08-2012, 4:34pm
I guess the same could be said about inserting and removing the USB cable on the camera? The pins on the camera's USB port are pretty delicate and I guess over many years of use they could bend/snap if you inserted it wrong.

I just transfer via USB, however I can see how it would be more convenient via a card reader. The transfer speeds should be pretty similar, providing the interface is the same.

livio
12-08-2012, 4:38pm
Hi John,

I use both in the early days I just used to used the camera to connect to the PC and transfer the images. Evertime I did that I would also format the memory card. At the begining of this yer I also purchased a card reader and now I use that a lot it does save me a little time and I have not seen any problems with the memory card. Saves me batter on the camera and time is also convenient as I can copy to and external hard drive quite easily.

Kind Regards
Livio

ameerat42
12-08-2012, 4:43pm
Also look at THIS THREAD. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?106098-How-do-you-get-images-off-camera)
I think what ever is more practical. At present I hook up the camera to the PC because it uses a CF card ($-ive) and I don't want to stress the pins.
Am.

ricktas
12-08-2012, 4:51pm
Up to you really. I take my cards out and put then in my USB card reader. mainly cause it is USB3 and faster transfer rates than direct from camera.

trueblue
14-08-2012, 11:44pm
I have shintaro card reader. These are very reliable.t

Lucky23
15-08-2012, 12:32am
I just remove my sd card and plug it in the computer. Seems durable enough and haven't had any troubles so far.

ameerat42
15-08-2012, 9:12am
I just remove my sd card and plug it in the computer. Seems durable enough and haven't had any troubles so far.

SD cards can take a lot of this. With CF cards, the reader has pins sticking out which can be bent (I have done/had this happen a few times).
Am.

junqbox
15-08-2012, 11:46am
whichever one is faster for you

aremac
15-08-2012, 2:25pm
I have always stuck the SD card into the computer and haven't had any issue so far.....touch wood.

chaosboi
15-08-2012, 2:52pm
My desk is so messy it would burst if I put the camera on there as well to transfer images!!
I'm sure by the time the SD card wore out there would be new technology, so i'd go by what ever is easiest.

Mark L
16-08-2012, 8:58pm
We only use a laptop. I find it easier to take SD card out of camera and insert in laptop. Download time doesn't much matter, any excuse for a cup of coffee. :)

Kenny A
17-08-2012, 5:58am
Hi, I agree with most of the above. If you use a card reader then it's a lot easyer to manage the pictures within your PC. Unless you are happy to just have your pictures managed with in the camera makers supplied software, then use the USB directly from your camera. Your camera will always automaticaly default to this site.

Cheers

acko
19-09-2012, 5:36pm
I always remove the CF card from the Canon, plug it into a card reader which is then transferred by USB into the PC. I found that transferring from the camera to the PC ripped into the battery.

enigmatic
20-09-2012, 9:16pm
I used to connect my camera, but then I bought a cheapy (i think <$10) card reader off ebay... and just use that now. Also import straight to lightroom now as well