PDA

View Full Version : Breaking out of Auto.

farro
12-08-2012, 7:48am
Hi all,

I purchased my first DSLR (canon 7d) about 3 months ago but I have predominantly been shooting in in Auto mode. Has anyone got any tips on how to beak the auto cycle and move on to using more features of the camera.

Also I have been using Aperture on the Mac and setting raw as my master image. Should I be choosing jpeg as the master and what advantages does it have? Btw I shoot raw+jpeg.

Cheers
Farro

ricktas
12-08-2012, 8:01am
Go check out the New to Photography section of the site Library, then go over the the New To Photography critique forums and look for the challenges that make you shoot specific subjects using semi-auto modes. These are designed to show you how each camera feature works, and how they inter-relate so you can understand not only what each one does, but how and why it does it.

Shooting jpg matters not at this stage of your learning. Once you get the concepts of aperture/iso/shutter speed understood, and then when you are delving further into post processing, look at RAW. You cannot learn everything at once. So start with getting off Auto, then look at learning the next thing.

Kym
12-08-2012, 8:54am
Use the force NTP Learning plan!! (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:Learning_Plan_Overview)

The learning plan is designed to help members acquire the fundamentals of photography in a sensibly structured manner, one key element at a time.
This approach avoids information overload.

The learning plan is also very practical in that it asks those participating to post images and get feedback
(constructive critique a.k.a CC) whereby they can quickly improve their skills.
We start with the camera in full auto (with fixed ISO sensitivity of 400, and JPEG mode) while learning to hold the camera and compose shots
We then progress to Aperture Priority (with fixed ISO) while learning Depth of Field (DoF)
We add Shutter Priority to the skills (with fixed ISO) while learning movement control
Once the above are understood we process to changing ISO (100 through 1600) using mainly Aperture Priority while learning about sensitivity and noise
The participant is now ready to use full manual control of the Exposure Triangle (ISO sensitivity, Aperture, Shutter speed)
We advance to control of white balance using raw mode instead of JPEG
Finally we add other aspects such as flash, stabilisation (tripod) and other creative options

The above sequence provides a sound base to further explore the joy of photography.
All AusPhotography members can feel free to assist with the NTP process by commenting to NTP posts and providing CC to NTP participants.

WillumGee
12-08-2012, 9:50am
Good Advise Kym, We often thing that we should know everything about our new camera when we get it home, it really is aslow learning (and experimental) process

farro
12-08-2012, 7:21pm
Thanks for the tips everyone, will check out the learning plan and challenges.

Cheers Farro

Mark L
15-08-2012, 8:35pm
It is good advise to run through the NTP Learning plan! and as said, we can't know everything straight away. But kinda once you've got your camera, digital becomes free to play and experiment!
Cameras can do so much for us. You don't need to go to full manual mode (though it is useful in some situations). Av (aperture priority) mode will allow you to choose your depth of field, which I think is really important (sometimes :)). So Av mode, auto ISO (until you learn what ISO to use when) and let the camera do the work for a while. Your out of auto mode, and learn from the photos you take.
Yeah, you gotta read the cameras manual as well. :D
Enjoy the journey.

scottgohphotography
16-08-2012, 3:15pm
gd advise. these days with digital, u can take as many photos as you want esp with 7D and preview them in the LCD.
often, as a pro wedding photographers, i still take the time to go through each photos that i like and see what are the setting used. this is always a learning process that never stops.
cheers.
Scott