PDA

View Full Version : OOF! Shaken your head lately?

ameerat42
10-08-2012, 12:05pm
:2enew: Well, start here. (http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/-/latest/14516193/virgin-accused-of-sexist-policy/):2uncom:

And the ultimate rationale...

Virgin defended its policy, saying Mr McGirr's reaction was atypical.

"In our experience, most guests thoroughly understand that the welfare of the child is our priority," she said.

...making the sky the limit.

Um.

Bennymiata
10-08-2012, 5:30pm
Fact is that more women teachers are convicted of sexual harrasment of male students than men are!
So should they keep women away from young boys?

kiwi
10-08-2012, 5:38pm
That would have really made my teenage years boring

Mark L
10-08-2012, 9:58pm
"Virgin Australia takes the safety of all guests very seriously and in the case of unaccompanied minors, we take additional steps to ensure their flight is safe and trouble free in every respect."
Why didn't they take additional steps to ensure he wasn't seated there in the first place?

Eberbachl
10-08-2012, 10:16pm
Wow! That's bad. I won't be flying Virgin again in a hurry. That's a poor show...

J.davis
10-08-2012, 11:06pm
My wife is flying with them next week - I hope they don't seat her next to a male.:lol:

I @ M
11-08-2012, 3:56am
Why didn't they take additional steps to ensure he wasn't seated there in the first place?

Exactly, it isn't as if they simply open the doors to the plane and let everyone grab whichever seat takes their fancy.

kiwi
11-08-2012, 9:08am
Massive passenger overreaction

Get on with it, how many flights, how many passengers choose their seats when online checking in ?

I sag so what, you move to another seat, not bleat about it

Ezookiel
11-08-2012, 10:16am
This same issue has come up before in the news.
And I kind of hate how it's a matter of course now to be suspicious of all males. But it's the way the world has gone, a small bunch has ruined it for the majority, but I guess we have to err on the side of caution.
In the article they actually say that it shouldn't have happened on the flight, so I assume from that that their policy would normally work electronically at check in, but as the passenger points out, that it wasn't the fact it was on the flight, but the policy in general he has a problem with. I do imagine you would feel pretty embarrassed to have it happen on the flight. Embarrassing your customers is sure to anger them. I don't blame him being angry.
I kind of hate the fact that the way society has gone, it makes all males get treated with suspicion. Kids can be the most amusing and funny creatures on the planet. They're so uninhibited, that you'll see them start to dance while standing in a shopping centre next to their parents, or do a million other incredibly cute and amusing things, but long gone are the days when a male like me can smile at the sheer joy the kid is expressing. In fact you can't really even watch them having fun for longer than a fraction of a second. You have to avert your gaze and move on. Anything else is sure to get YOU some sideways glances, and branded as some kind of weirdo. And THAT is really sad. But it's the way society is, and not likely to be easily changed now.

ameerat42
11-08-2012, 11:54am
I kind of hate the fact that the way society has gone, it makes all males get treated with suspicion. Kids can be the most amusing and funny creatures on the planet. They're so uninhibited, that you'll see them start to dance while standing in a shopping centre next to their parents, or do a million other incredibly cute and amusing things, but long gone are the days when a male like me can smile at the sheer joy the kid is expressing. In fact you can't really even watch them having fun for longer than a fraction of a second. You have to avert your gaze and move on. Anything else is sure to get YOU some sideways glances, and branded as some kind of weirdo. And THAT is really sad. But it's the way society is, and not likely to be easily changed now.

And what effect will it breed in those we are trying to protect, I wonder? Things have so changed from "righto" to whacko!

kiwi
11-08-2012, 2:52pm
People should just act naturally and normally, dont fall victim to paranoia

zollo
11-08-2012, 3:37pm
Why were the kids not made to move?

Bennymiata
11-08-2012, 7:16pm
I guess that as their name is Virgin, they wanted to ensure the kids remained that way! :lol:

ameerat42
11-08-2012, 7:28pm
Well, I reckon we need a good head-shaking icon. Hmm! Ving's avatar comes to mind.
Am.

old dog
11-08-2012, 7:51pm
what would have happened with a full plane...no spare seats...only men on board.....one or two unaccompanied children.....hmmmmmm.

kiwi
11-08-2012, 8:08pm
And snakes

ameerat42
11-08-2012, 8:23pm
what would have happened with a full plane...no spare seats...only men on board.....one or two unaccompanied children.....hmmmmmm.

It'd be a cow, I reckon.
Here's one I rustled from Ving. (And don't nobody tell 'im, either! It was dark and I only had the help of Starlight.)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/customprofilepics/profilepic675_8.gif

And snakes
(Lucky I didn't see any. Would they travel in the tail section?)

rossco
11-08-2012, 8:30pm
Outrage meets reality, if my 9yo daughter were to fly on her own, i would prefer her sitting next to a woman, maternal instict v who knows what. If i were told to move seats, so long as there was no suggestion that is was no more than policy, id wear it happily.

Mark L
11-08-2012, 8:38pm
Outrage meets reality, if my 9yo daughter were to fly on her own, i would prefer her sitting next to a woman, maternal instict v who knows what. .......

But then, maybe, you wouldn't let her fly on her own.

old dog
11-08-2012, 8:42pm
Flying High is a great movie........maybe the Virgin powers to be watched it and produced said policy......:confused013

rossco
11-08-2012, 8:50pm
But then, maybe, you wouldn't let her fly on her own.

i would after investigating poilicy

kiwi
12-08-2012, 8:04am
I fly all the time and have moved when asked before, so what

I've sent various of my boys on their own, they are well looked after

So really I don't have any problem with the policy either pre boarding or if they make a mistake post boarding