PDA

View Full Version : So a realestate wants to buy some of my photos....

Birdman
06-08-2012, 11:25am
Hiyas, I was just wondering if I should charge, they already offered to buy the images, but no price as yet as I have never sold anything.

However I would be happy even for the exposure of my photos(I am no Ken Duncan):)

This is the message they sent me...

-----
"we have a realestate at <area> and do newsletters etc to the <regions> . I am also looking at updating our website. May I buy a few photos from you. <contact details>"
-----

It is for a relatively small coastal town up Mid North NSW.

What sort of questions should I ask?

Do I need to do some sort of contract as I dont want the images to be used other than for this person if I decide to let them be used or purchased.

Thanks

Rattus79
06-08-2012, 11:59am
I'd start by asking what they are going to be used for and how long the expected use will be for.
are they to be used for print media or just web use.

If they want print media, your price just went up.

Advice: Don't give you're hard work away for nothing. they're looking to make money off your hard work. You deserve to make a $$ too.

Eberbachl
06-08-2012, 12:05pm
I can't advise you how much to charge, but definitely don't give your photos away for nothing; particularly if they are going to be used for commercial gain.

;)

mikec
09-08-2012, 11:55am
I'd also add, if they want more work done in the future and you sell your current set of images to them now. Make sure what ever you sell for now will also make future shoots worth while.

You don't want a case of giving them a very good deal on the basis of it's a first time thing and then when it comes around a second time and you quote for a larger figure, I'm sure they'll say "why are you charging more now?!"

I got burnt this way once....

rnicetin
09-08-2012, 5:45pm
Make sure you get credit for the photos too - either put your watermark on the image, or come to an agreement that the newsletter will include your name and possibly website.

kiwi
09-08-2012, 5:50pm
ask them what they might be willing to pay

JM Tran
09-08-2012, 5:59pm
ask them what they might be willing to pay

I would not be asking a real estate company how much they are willing to pay, they are not some 18 year old wannabe model with a little bit of money.

I'd set my prices, then negotiate slightly down if they think its a bit too high. Be firm but reasonable, as this sets you off better in the long run with them. Charging a miniscule price at the beginning means its almost impossible to raise prices later on.

The OP should also do some research into how much other companies in the area are paying for it as well, which can be brought up in the negotiation if need be.

kiwi
09-08-2012, 7:00pm
I still would, and yeah, your comment about 18 year olds is superfluous and demeaning

The two outcomes are that a) they offer you more than you expected -win

I think most new to the market ask Tom little up front

Or that you say no that you want $ x and negotiate

But, I will agree with you JM that what you need to do is ascertain the value of the work

JM Tran
09-08-2012, 7:08pm
I still would, and yeah, your comment about 18 year olds is superfluous and demeaning

The two outcomes are that a) they offer you more than you expected -win

I think most new to the market ask Tom little up front

Or that you say no that you want $ x and negotiate

But, I will agree with you JM that what you need to do is ascertain the value of the work

No, my comment about 18 year old comes from my experiences and that of other photographers who have shot for modeling agencies and freelance models. It is common.

Redgum
10-08-2012, 10:28pm
Offer to sell your house through their agency (pretend to be a potential client) and you'll soon find out what they charge the client for advertising. Go for about 20% of this figure and you'll win hands down. Often local research does wonders. :) Too many variables for anyone here to answer your question.

Analog6
11-08-2012, 5:22am
I'd go back and clrify exactkly what they want - as regards size and resolutuin, and what they want to use them for - web only or web and print. If they say web onlt and want high res that may be the rat signalling. Don't price yourself out of the ether but be reasoban=ble and firm.

You can google for online photographers price calculators and sample contracts.

kiwi
14-08-2012, 7:21am
And ? Whet happened ?

Warbler
14-08-2012, 10:53am
The way I read the OP's post was that these were not photos of real estate as such, but photos of the local area. Photos suitable to put on your website to sell the area rather than a particular property. I mean unless the OP drives around taking random real estate pictures of other people's houses, then I find it unlikely that he'd just happen to have photos of a property that the estate agent wants to sell. Perhaps he'll come back and enlighten us. If I'm right in my assumption, then the RE Agent can get these images easily and cheaply (read free) from any number of sources.

Cheers,
Tim

Keith Young
16-08-2012, 3:30pm
Hiyas, I was just wondering if I should charge, they already offered to buy the images, but no price as yet as I have never sold anything.

However I would be happy even for the exposure of my photos(I am no Ken Duncan):)

This is the message they sent me...

-----
"we have a realestate at <area> and do newsletters etc to the <regions> . I am also looking at updating our website. May I buy a few photos from you. <contact details>"
-----

It is for a relatively small coastal town up Mid North NSW.

What sort of questions should I ask?

Do I need to do some sort of contract as I dont want the images to be used other than for this person if I decide to let them be used or purchased.

Thanks

What?? A real estate agent offering to pay for something rather then just ripping it off the net like all the rest of them?? I just can't believe it! They probably got stung when they infringed someone's copyright and learnt the hard way.

Warbler
17-08-2012, 8:34am
What?? A real estate agent offering to pay for something rather then just ripping it off the net like all the rest of them?? I just can't believe it! They probably got stung when they infringed someone's copyright and learnt the hard way.

Yeah, or the camera in their iphone doesn't work. :lol2:

Darklight
17-08-2012, 9:34am
I don't sell images all that often, and so I don't have a pricing system set up. What I do is go to Getty Images and find something similar, pick out the same usage you are being asked to quote on and get their price. It can give you a good basis to start from.

I send the images with a license PDF that spells out the conditions of use.