PDA

View Full Version : Scnning 35mm slides

bigbird
31-07-2012, 3:32pm
Hi, I have in excess of 2000 35mm Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides that I'd like to scan. I've tried a Kaiser Baas scanner but the results are disappointing to say the least with overexposure, underexposure and problems with reds and blues. Can anybody recommend a scanner that gives quality results as good as the original slides?

bb:confused013

ameerat42
31-07-2012, 4:32pm
Hi big bird. Well, with your disappointing results scanning, at least welcome to AP.
From the prices I saw for the scanner, I wouldn't be surprised. And your experience seems to just add to it.

There are heaps of threads about this very topic... somewhere... searchable...
Am.

junqbox
31-07-2012, 5:13pm
What Ameerat said.

bigbird
31-07-2012, 6:55pm
Thanks guys for your replies. I've checked the other threads on this topic but what I'm looking for is a recommendation from personal experience. I'm aware that I have the options of flatbed scanner v slide copier attachment for my Canon DSLR EOS 450D v another one called PlusTek OpticFilm in various models. So it would be helpful if someone has experience in using one or all of these and can say which gives the best results. Obviously price has to be considered.

Thanks
bb

ameerat42
31-07-2012, 7:07pm
What's your camera gear. A couple of people have successfully used CU equipment, slide duplicators on DSLRs, home-made boxes for non-DSLR cameras.

When I (hardly worth mentioning since I now do it so rarely) copy slides or negs I use an Epson V700.

Sure, flatbeds with slide scanning capabilities are pretty good. The acme is a drum scanner, but hey! I think if I had a slide duplicator to attache to a DSLR I would tend to use it more than the (so troublesome to set up) V700.

And sure, the latter is capable of 6400dpi optical and 48-bit color mapping, but the 450D would be sufficiently close for resolution and has 12 or 14-bit (per channel) color depth. ( I don't know its reolution, but any APS-C over about 8 MPx would suffice to duplicate a slide or neg (I opine).

This thread will soon attract the relevant aficionados, so stay tuned.
Am.

Edit: I just re-read your original post and this stood out:

with overexposure, underexposure and problems with reds and blues

Have you set your input parameters based on a few test slides, or do you just use the default values? Also, what bit depth did you use?

peterking
31-07-2012, 11:46pm
Personally I have the Epson V300 and am happy with the results for the dollars.
If you want as good as the original slide you are looking at $3000.00 plus. i.e.: Nikon film scanner.
Your other alternative is a duplicating lab that will do it for you but you will pay a price.