PDA

View Full Version : I feel the need for a meet - saturday, 11th august

NikonNellie
28-07-2012, 7:15pm
Hi All

It's been ages since we have had a Sydney Meet so I would like to propose that we have one on Saturday 11th August. I have no idea what or where so this thread is open to get some suggestions and to get your confirmation on your attendance.

Put your thinking caps on and don't be shy to enter your suggestion here. :)

livio
28-07-2012, 9:59pm
Hi Nellie,

Sure Count me in tried to cat up last time for Vivid but by the time I got to the Observatory hill everyone was gone

Kind Regards
Livio

raccoon
29-07-2012, 10:36am
i think Darling Harbour have fireworks every saturday nite. We could have some dinner and some fireworks and night shots as well

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked (do your homework before you post) the fireworks are on 18 and 25 August and plenty more towards the end of the year

ktoopi
29-07-2012, 11:11am
I'm keen for a meet provided I am well enough by then!(have been struck down with the worst flu I have ever had. Am over it mostly but have a burst eardrum giving me grief and I seem to be able to only cope with half a days activity before I then need to sleep for rest of the day at the moment) I'll put on my thinking cap for ideas.... I have a brand new tripod and 9 stop neutral density filter that I'm desperate to try out!!:)

NikonNellie
29-07-2012, 5:27pm
Livio - if we have a meet this time we will make sure you are with us and not leave you behind. :D

Paul - Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe we can do that one later on in the year. I wouldn't be able to do the 18th and 25th as I am shooting my first wedding in Palm Cove,QLD as well as having a week's holiday. I could probably do the 18th at a pinch but I need the weekend before the wedding to make sure I am well prepared for the event - I don't want to stuff anything up. :eek:

Karen - Hope you get better soon. I had pneumonia earlier in the year and it took me ages to recover from it. I knew you would be interested in a meet. :)

AVALANCHE
29-07-2012, 7:35pm
Sounds good, I would be interested in something like this.

As for suggestions, maybe a 'walking tour' of The Rocks. Or keep a theme of some sort like using 1/8 shutter speed only for a certain area only or something similar.

ktoopi
30-07-2012, 11:02am
[QUOTE=NikonNellie;1051836]

Karen - Hope you get better soon. I had pneumonia earlier in the year and it took me ages to recover from it. I knew you would be interested in a meet. :)[/QUOTE
Thanks Narelle....Today is a good day... I feel like I am getting better
:)

peterb666
30-07-2012, 12:35pm
Cockatoo Island Biennale may be interesting. If the art is too arty f@rty, then there are still the buidings and stuff.

NikonNellie
31-07-2012, 8:12am
When we have a few more suggestions posted I will put up a poll then we can vote to see which would be the most popular. So far I like the idea of Biennale at Cockatoo Island. :)

AmPhot
01-08-2012, 8:00pm
I've shot Biennale once already, it's absolutely fantastic but you need a full day to shoot it all, and you will need to get their first thing to capture some of the larger installations without fighting crowds (and some installations you have to get in a queue for). Just something to consider.

I'd be up for a dawn shoot somewhere - there's a low tide on the 11th so something like Long Reef or Turrimetta (which has lots of green moss growing on the rocks at the moment) might be fun.
Alternatively somewhere on the harbour ? Or Homebush ?

ktoopi
01-08-2012, 9:27pm
Dawn shoot sounds good.....I am itching to test out new tripod and filter!!!!:D

sunset
02-08-2012, 7:41am
I could do a dawn shoot too. Rest of the day is a bit busy! Hope to catch up with you all.

peterb666
02-08-2012, 12:26pm
Dawn is fine for me.

judybee
02-08-2012, 12:58pm
Hi everyone
the 11th is out for me, we have a 40th party at night and the boys have their last soccer game on in the morning, so I couldn't do morning either. Have fun !!:)

NikonNellie
02-08-2012, 9:26pm
Looks like it will be a dawn shoot as most of us are happy to go along with Glenn's suggestion......so I won't bother with the poll. I have never done Long Reef so I would opt for that location but if the majority want to go to Turrimetta I'm fine with that as well. It makes sense to do another dawn shoot now as the sun is only going to keep on rising earlier as the year progresses.

Please post your preference for either Long Reef or Turrimetta by next Wednesday, 8th August then I can post up a meeting place and time. :)

ktoopi
02-08-2012, 10:55pm
Long Reef for me all the way!!!:D

raccoon
03-08-2012, 6:19am
dawn shoot is fine..I dont have a preference so i will go where ever the vote is

ktoopi
03-08-2012, 9:19am
Actually, I don't really mind either! Both locations are beaches I have not been to so either will be good for me!!:D

sunset
04-08-2012, 1:40pm
I have no preference as I haven't done a shoot at either.

peterb666
05-08-2012, 9:45am
I haven't done either for a while. I have yet to do a shoot that I really like from Turrimetta so that would be my preference to give it another go.

AmPhot
05-08-2012, 9:49am
No preferences either way, both locations are on my favourites list. One thing to remember with Turimetta at the moment is there is a lot of green moss covering the rocks on the southern end, which makes it VERY slippery, so nonslip / rock shoes are essential items if you want to shoot down that end.

maccaroneski
05-08-2012, 10:02pm
I'll keep my eye on the thread but won't make any promises until closer to the event - leave passes are in limited supply at the moment.

Danielle10
06-08-2012, 7:04am
I've been following this thread (stalking) sorry has been a while since a chat and a catch up. I am very keen in this however have no idea where these places are, have a late shoot Saturday night and an early start Sunday morning.... *sigh, things we do lol
I'll keep watching this

peterb666
06-08-2012, 12:28pm
Hi Danielle, if you want to go and can find your way to my place in the wee early hours of the morning, I will drive you.

Cheers

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

I'll keep my eye on the thread but won't make any promises until closer to the event - leave passes are in limited supply at the moment.

Bring the baby! Should be into photography by now.

Danielle10
06-08-2012, 1:52pm
Thanks Peter, I'm tempted but will be burning the candle at both ends... What time are u leaving?

peterb666
06-08-2012, 5:07pm
Thanks Peter, I'm tempted but will be burning the candle at both ends... What time are u leaving?

Depends on the start-time. I would expect around 4:45 ish. Too early for some?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

maccaroneski
06-08-2012, 5:11pm
Bring the baby! Should be into photography by now.

Yeah but from the perspective that she thinks her dad is an 85 1.4, as that what she tends to see when she looks at me.

AmPhot
06-08-2012, 5:26pm
I've been following this thread (stalking) sorry has been a while since a chat and a catch up. I am very keen in this however have no idea where these places are, have a late shoot Saturday night and an early start Sunday morning.... *sigh, things we do lol I'll keep watching this

Turimetta beach is here :
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Turimetta+Beach,+Warriewood,+New+South+Wales&hl=en&sll=-33.796924,150.922433&sspn=1.960586,4.22699&oq=Turime&hnear=Turimetta+Beach&t=m&z=15

Long Reef (just up from the Golf Club) :
https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Long+Reef+Golf+Club,+Anzac+Avenue,+Collaroy,+New+South+Wales&hl=en&ll=-33.739544,151.311221&spn=0.030655,0.066047&sll=-33.742541,151.311371&sspn=0.015327,0.033023&oq=Long+Reef+Golf+Club,+New+South+Wales&hq=Long+Reef+Golf+Club,+Anzac+Avenue,+Collaroy,+New+South+Wales&t=m&z=15

Danielle10
07-08-2012, 7:07am
Could be a goer Pete, Thankyou. Will SMS you

peterb666
07-08-2012, 12:26pm
I had a phone call from Nellie this morning, she has lost her Internet connection so I will be posting up details of the meet time etc this evening. Turrimetta is the selected location.

Cheers

Peter

AmPhot
07-08-2012, 6:31pm
Just looking at the tide/swell forecast for Saturday, the swell is going to be BIG, so I'm wondering if Long Reef might be a better option ? At least you've got a larger area to set up on and you're sheltered from the waves. Rain is also forecast so bring a brolly/raincoat. ;)

peterb666
07-08-2012, 6:34pm
Greetings all, the details for the meet at Turrimetta is as follows:

Sunrise 6:37 am
Civil twilight 6:11 am
Nautical twilight 5:42 am

Find your way to Peal Street, Warriewood. A starting time of around 5:45 am would be ideal.

There is a short path to the beach if you are late. Don't forget a torch and some low-slip shoes.

See you there.

NikonNellie
08-08-2012, 8:11am
Thanks for that Peter - my internet seems to go off when it wants to but only comes back on if I make/receive a phone call.

Sorry Glenn didn't see your post until after Peter had posted the details. So what does everyone think about Glenn's suggestion? Should we change the venue to Long Reef? :confused013

Danielle10
08-08-2012, 1:02pm
I'm happy with anything.

peterb666
08-08-2012, 5:03pm
Is Long Reef safe with a 4.3m swell?

AmPhot
08-08-2012, 5:21pm
Well I would consider it safer than Turi, simply because you're not right on the beach break. Can't say for certain as I've never been down there in a big swell, but given the tide is on the way out during sunrise, and Long Reef has the outer rock shelf to provide a barrier, it would be my pick over Turi. But that's my completely un-expert opinion. :p

Darey
08-08-2012, 5:33pm
Wherever you go guys I hope you have a SAFE and HAPPY time.
I'm afraid that I have to work on Saturday morning so I can't join you on the shoot.:(

Lance B
08-08-2012, 6:31pm
Just a heads up, weather for Saturday is predicted to be showers and a little windy. Might not be the best conditions for photography.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/long-reef

peterb666
09-08-2012, 6:43am
I would be inclined to keep it at Turri. There is usually a good opportunity to a dramatic shot in poor weather and that would apply at either site so weather is rarely an issue. For those that have done a few of these types of shoot, would know that the foul weather morning you decide to sleep in, is often the one that puts on a show.

The advantage of Turri is that you can park at the beach and it is just a few metres to the points of interest. Also, if the waves are extreme and you want a really dramatic shot, there is an opportunity to pop around to North Narrabeen.

Long Reef has a trek up a hill and a long path down to the rock shelf. It is a long return trip in the rain.

NikonNellie
09-08-2012, 8:19am
I think Peter has a good point here. Lets keep it at Turrimetta and if it's too wild we might at least be able to get some wave action into the Nth. Narrabean pool. Lets save Long Reef for a little later in the year.

See you all at 5:45am on Saturday - :eek:

sunset
09-08-2012, 9:45am
See you all at 5:45am on Saturday - :eek:

Ouch I have been waking up early for the Olympiccs but ..... no at 4.45 or so! I don't have any special non slip shoes though. Will super glue work? :lol:

AmPhot
09-08-2012, 11:57am
Turi it is, dont forget to bring an extra lens cloth for the salt spray. ;)

peterb666
09-08-2012, 1:01pm
Ouch I have been waking up early for the Olympiccs but ..... no at 4.45 or so! I don't have any special non slip shoes though. Will super glue work? :lol:

Use your tripod as a walking stick. Dunlop Volley are as good as the best. BigW stock them and they are cheap.

Darey
09-08-2012, 3:32pm
The TPE App shows that the sun rise on Saturday morning lines up nicely with the Narrabeen Pool gutter. There may be a great opportunity to get a sunrise using the gutter as a leading line and have the sun shining through a breaking wave. Just a thought. :)

raccoon
09-08-2012, 3:49pm
That sounds great Greg. I am ok with that

ktoopi
09-08-2012, 4:46pm
See you there!:)

Danielle10
09-08-2012, 10:31pm
I'm actually looking forward to this. I have so far had a $hit of a week ( And by Saturday I would of worked over 50 hours this week, and for the last 2 weeks people have been off work so has made it HELL!) I had such an exhausting day today It almost brought me to tears.
I'm determined to have a great shoot and can't wait to catch up with you all.
Sorry I'm on a rant, still a bit emotional lol, it's all good, see you Saturday!!

NikonNellie
10-08-2012, 12:15pm
I still have no internet so if you all decide to cancel tomorrow due to the severe weather warning :eek: please can someone ring me on 9629 2336 or 0407 434 926 .

peterb666
10-08-2012, 12:33pm
I will be going regardless of the weather, and I should have 2 passengers.

As Nellie will remember the shoot at Ivo Rowe Pool about a year ago when most piked out due to the bad weather, we had great photos and the weather fined up at just the right time (and for just long enough).

AmPhot
10-08-2012, 1:02pm
I'm also going regardless, with the wind the weather should make for some nice blurry long exposure shots. :)

ktoopi
10-08-2012, 1:26pm
I'm thinking of reconsidering as it is currently gusting 48knots I am sitting here at my computer looking at the surf and it is massive!:eek: Also trees are down all over the place and sirens have been blaring all afternoon! it is forcast to be around 30 knots tommorrow as well. It could be a bit dangerous

Danielle10
10-08-2012, 1:45pm
Yeah lol blurry when your cam goes flying with the tripod

Danielle10
10-08-2012, 1:46pm
I'll be your passenger still Pete, if the weather turns I can always stay in the car

raccoon
10-08-2012, 1:59pm
i will probably still go. Did we make a decison where we are going???

AmPhot
10-08-2012, 2:03pm
i will probably still go. Did we make a decison where we are going??? Yes Turimetta, see Peter's post on details.

peterb666
10-08-2012, 4:53pm
Checked the hourly weather forecast on Accuweather and it is showing rain as only "trace" with only a 50% chance of rain in the 3 hr period between 6 am and 9 am.

AmPhot
10-08-2012, 4:58pm
And SkippySky is currently showing good cloud cover between 0400 and 0700 ;)

peterb666
10-08-2012, 5:04pm
Actually an interesting sunset coming up if tou can take it. In train :-(

ktoopi
10-08-2012, 5:23pm
ok ok I'm being a wus! Looks like I will come despit the grim weather!:D

sunset
10-08-2012, 6:25pm
Nellie & I will be there! See you in the morning.

peterb666
10-08-2012, 6:52pm
Weather forecast looking better all the time - from Weatherzone...

6am - Slight chance shower, 9°, chance of rain in 3 hour period 46%, cloud cover 55% , Wind W 29km/h (a bit windy but Westerly???), feels like 5°C, humidity 78%

Did you see the sunset tonight? Maybe something similar in the morning.

NikonNellie
10-08-2012, 7:10pm
Managed to get my internet back on after ringing my provider who took me through configuring my modem after it was reset.

I had a beautiful sunset looking out from my back verandah. I don't think the clouds or rain are going to be the problem - it will be the swell and the wind. I wish I had some sandbags for the tripod. :)

sunset
11-08-2012, 6:29pm
Good to see you all this morning. The rain didn't dampen the spirits too much. Having stood outside to watch netball I've certainly had enough of the wind today!

ktoopi
11-08-2012, 7:42pm
Good to see you to Sunset!! I'm glad I went in the end....the weather was pretty tame compared to yesterday!:D I crashed after lunch and slept for 3 hours!!!:o After affects from the flu I've had for last three weeks I think!!:)

NikonNellie
11-08-2012, 10:01pm
Glad you made it Karen - We promise we will make the next beach sunrise shoot a bit more enjoyable for you. I crashed for two hours when I got home and I will be going to bed much earlier than my usual time. Love sunrise shoots but it does zap your energy - probably your crashing was not from your flu Karen just from the change in your body clock and dealing with the elements. :D

Warren Ackary
12-08-2012, 8:14am
Just reading the above (Wollongong here).. wife & I went out yesterday (11th).. I think all the weather came down here... just got out the car (wind nearly ripped a door off. Got to the rocks & waited.. I was on my bum 3 times due to the wind (think the snow was coming off the mountains).
packed it up & went home to bed, wife was drained.. think it was the weather more than anything, sunrise was..... not there.

Glad you guys were able to get some without being buffeted :)

Xenedis
12-08-2012, 3:14pm
I caught a glimpse of Peter's and Danielle's images from yesterday's Turi shoot. Some nice shots.

It looks like you had some nice, dramatic conditions, very reminiscent of my first visit there in 2007.

I've been meaning to head to Turi this year (to capture the green moss), but getting out for a dawn shoot is a bit of a struggle at the moment, as I'm juggling a lot of things.

Hopefully I'll capture it before the green moss disappears again.

Turi is quite a safe location even in bigger seas. Definitely take advantage of it when the conditions are good.

The only problem is that the place seems busier than Pitt Street these days. :-(

peterb666
12-08-2012, 8:36pm
Turri was good but not a lot of green moss, just enough. You would have been very wet on the North Narrabeen headland.

Ventureoverland
12-08-2012, 8:52pm
Just seen this thread... Sorry I missed out this time.

My local Sydney geography isn't that great just yet, where abouts is Turrimetta?

I'm thinking I may take a short visit there myself.

Thx
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

Xenedis
12-08-2012, 8:56pm
My local Sydney geography isn't that great just yet, where abouts is Turrimetta?

Turimetta is just north of Narrabeen, and south of Warriewood.

Park on Peal Place, Warriwood, and walk down the stairs. A few minutes south along the beach, and you're at the spot.

Ventureoverland
12-08-2012, 9:01pm
Turimetta is just north of Narrabeen, and south of Warriewood.

Park on Peal Place, Warriwood, and walk down the stairs. A few minutes south along the beach, and you're at the spot.

Thanks very much. I know just where Narrabeen & Warriewood are. Best bit is, only 20mins up the road:)

Thx
Jon

Sent using Forum Runner

mechawombat
13-08-2012, 1:48am
Missed out because it clashed with World time attack

Some beautiful images taken maybe next time

raccoon
13-08-2012, 6:38am
HI Guys
sorry i missed the meet. We had some wind damage at work that i had to look after.
See you all next meet

Pup
14-08-2012, 11:26am
Bugger missed out. Been super busy with work and around the house which I haven't had alot of time on the computer and behind the camera. Last time I got out and about was over 2 weeks ago :( hoping to get out again very soon.