PDA

View Full Version : My first exhibition

AVALANCHE
24-07-2012, 8:23pm
Hi friends,

In August I have my first exhibition on with three others and I have some questions.

1.) The room for the exhibition is rather small, and the girl organising it wants around twenty images for display. I would love to frame and/or mount the images however I feel space may quickly become a concern. Some of the others exhibiting have informed me they are simply using blu-tac to put their images up. Should I do a mix of framing and blu-tac'ing images or keep to just one way of displaying? The prints are a mix ranging from 3.5 x 5 to 10 x 15.

Which brings me onto my next question.

2.) I would love to sell some images. How do you determine the value of your work first starting out? How do you assure the buyer the work won't be produced anymore?

Thanks all,

Aaron

Film Street
24-07-2012, 9:22pm
Blu-tac!

At least glue the images to a flat piece of foam, then go ahead and blu-tac.

People buying from emerging artists may not be concerned about having a one off image. That's what paintings are for.

Sell as many of the same print as you can. $29.50ea sounds good for some reason. Add 8% per month and those images will be worth $68 this time next year :)

ricktas
24-07-2012, 9:36pm
Go to a framer and get some mat board cut to suit, and then some backing board. Buy some double sided (acid free) tape and tape one edge (like a hinge). Get your printed photos placed inside and 'tack' down the corners. You then get a great way to display your photos and any that do not sell you can remove and use the mats again and again (for future exhibitions).

AP advertiser frameshop has a good range of mats at reasonable prices
www.frameshop.com.au (http://www.clixGalore.com/PSale.aspx?BID=62371&AfID=181059&AdID=7541&LP=frameshop.com.au)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg175/snoopytas/advertising/frameshop1.jpg (http://www.clixGalore.com/PSale.aspx?BID=62371&AfID=181059&AdID=7541&LP=frameshop.com.au)
(look under menu : Collage frame creator : mats standard size : )click a mat to see the different colours/sizes/options)

Pricing wise. What demographic visits the location of the exhibition. Price according to the people who are likely to view your work. If it is uni students etc, no use trying to sell them for $300.00 a piece, but if it is Doctors and Lawyers, why offer them up at $25.00 a piece? Either way make sure you know the exact cost of each print (and mat) to you, then double that as a minimum.

You need to know your market before you can price your product.

AVALANCHE
24-07-2012, 10:01pm
Thanks Film, how did you come to that figure of 8%?

Cheers Rick, I have a bunch of old random frames here already for the smaller prints so I may look into getting the foam board.

As for the Market, it is hard to pinpoint. I will say a younger crowd for now, it is in Bondi. I might stick to most prints for $30 and maybe one or two for a little more expensive. I have already done the prints.

For anyone nearby and possibly interested, 12th August 333 Old South Head Road, Bondi Beach. 7.30pm - 10pm. It is the Master Plaster Fun store.

Mark L
25-07-2012, 10:20pm
...... How do you assure the buyer the work won't be produced anymore?
Don't.

virgal_tracy
27-07-2012, 10:12am
Some of the others exhibiting have informed me they are simply using blu-tac to put their images up. Should I do a mix of framing and blu-tac'ing images or keep to just one way of displaying?

Hi Aaron,

For me blu tac'ing anything to the wall does not yell "professionalism" to me. I personally would look at either Mat boarding them or having them block mounted (this would cost another reprint). Cost will be between $12 - $30 depending on which way you go. I would then look at either hanging them from a picture rail with fishing line or using the 3M picture hooks. Add some professionalism and your work will stand out, especially against those that blutac theirs to the wall.

If you are exhibiting fine art pieces or unique images which you feel you want to appreciate for the buyer, then there is the option of certifying your images with Art Trust (http://www.arttrustonline.com/en). This offers a certificate of Authenticity and promotes your work as being unique and valuable.

All of this will cost money to begin with, which you may not have at present, but does differentiate you from the pack.

Good luck with the exhibition.