PDA

View Full Version : What chemicals do I need?

Fedgrub
23-07-2012, 9:39am
Hi all,

I recently got an addiction to 120 black and white film by playing around with a Holga 120GCFN. I’ve recently bought a Mamiya, and I predict this will get a lot of use, so I am trying to figure out whether it’s worth developing the film at home myself or whether I should pay a local store to do it for $10 a roll.

I looked at the chemicals on Vanbar (http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php?item1=CHEMISTRY&item2=B%26W&brand=), but honestly I got a little lost. There are so many different types and I don’t know what is best for me. I use Ilford 400 Pro most the time.

From my understanding on reading tutorials, I’ll need:

Change bag
A tank
Some reels
Some weight clips
Developer, Fixer, stop bath and wetting agent

I have no idea on what chemicals to get, what is best for my film type or if I am missing anything above.

Anyone able to help me out here?

TL;DR need advice on what chemicals I need to develop my own black and white 120 film at home.

Thanks in advance!

Film Street
24-07-2012, 9:33pm
Get yourself the following -

Ilford ID-11 developer - enough to make one litre
Ilfostop stop bath - 500ml - many people just use water to stop. I always use the stop bath
Ilford rapid fixer - 1 litre
Ilfotol wetting agent - 250ml

A completely dark room is better than a change bag as you can stand and have plenty of space for the film to hang down without touching anything.

A changebag can get sweaty if you are fumbling. The added moisture can affect the film.

Get a dud roll and practice putting it on the reel of your tank in daylight, then with your eyes closed.

Get a thermometer and be accurate with your water temperatures.

Have fun :)

Fedgrub
08-08-2012, 3:38pm
Excellent, exactly what I was after. Thanks!

richie4540
28-08-2012, 11:25pm
Excellent, exactly what I was after. Thanks!

Fedgrub, how has your developing gone? Another thing that is really useful is a dev app from iphone called the massive dev chart. Just remeber that using the ipad in a darkroom gives off alot of light, so cover it when you have the film open. If you need any gear to borrow let me know as mine sits around alot.
Regards richie.

StanW
01-09-2012, 9:07am
You can save by preparing your own developer. The formula for ID11 is easily found on the Net.

JazzTyme
14-10-2012, 7:55pm
cheers!

Get yourself the following -

Ilford ID-11 developer - enough to make one litre
Ilfostop stop bath - 500ml - many people just use water to stop. I always use the stop bath
Ilford rapid fixer - 1 litre
Ilfotol wetting agent - 250ml

A completely dark room is better than a change bag as you can stand and have plenty of space for the film to hang down without touching anything.

A changebag can get sweaty if you are fumbling. The added moisture can affect the film.

Get a dud roll and practice putting it on the reel of your tank in daylight, then with your eyes closed.

Get a thermometer and be accurate with your water temperatures.

Have fun :)