PDA

View Full Version : YongNuo Speedlite?

cphosavanh
21-07-2012, 5:41pm
I've never used a speedlite before, and I stumbled upon the YONGNUO YN-460 Speedlite when I was "window" shopping online.

Factsheet
http://www.yongnuoebay.com/sm/yn460e.pdf

For around $40, would it be a good first speedlite or should I get something more reliable for a couple hundred? :confused013
Has anyone used this flash before?
Is it any realiable? I mean, for $40, I wouldn't be expecting much, but I'd at least hope it would work for maybe a year or a few.

I realise there are a couple comparison with other speedlites from a couple years ago, but it would be good to get some fresh opinions :)

Thanks

I @ M
21-07-2012, 5:52pm
The reliability wouldn't concern me so much as whether you should be asking the questions of "do I have the knowledge to operate fully manual lighting" which is what that flash will offer you.
They are cheap, they do seem to work fairly reliably but you won't have any fancy built in ability to run automatic metering with your camera ( brand unknown ) so perhaps if you are a beginner to flash work spend a helluva lot of time researching flashes and their various features and capabilities before spending any dollars on them.

OzzieTraveller
21-07-2012, 10:12pm
G'day cp

To follow on from Andrew ...
I own and use 4x Yongnuo flashguns - I don't use the term 'speedlight' as that is someone else's trademarked name
The 460 is a flashgun - a good quality but basic flash that will work with any camera with a hotshoe
It also is a slave gun - and it is this feature that I make lots of use of - triggering with either the on-camera flash or via Yongnuo triggers

The equipment is as well made as Metz or Sigma 3rd party flash makers and you can get it from several sources - however I do not deal with ebay so cannot comment on that end of things

Regards, Phil

cphosavanh
22-07-2012, 7:12pm
Hmm, yeah, I missed the detailing that I'd have to use it in manual..
Either of you have any sites or advice that I could use?

I'm thinking of just buying it for fun and playing with it, and learning on the go (not at events of couse :rolleyes:) and see how it goes :D

nixworries
22-07-2012, 7:48pm
i use the 468 for the ettl on camera and have the 460 as a slave, they work well

n00g33
26-07-2012, 10:07pm
strobist.blogspot.com is the number 1 place to start for off camera lighting.

if you're intending on on-camera lighting then you're always best off getting one that detects the settings on your camera ie. i-TTL or e-TTL. Usually the same brand as your camera is best.

Make sure you get the YN 460 II if you're buying that one. I had a look on ebay and it was around your price range. Also make sure you buy that from the manufacturer ebay page for obvious reasons. I bought that one a couple of yrs ago and it's still working fine.

Analog6
27-07-2012, 5:36am
I have a this one, paid $79 a couple of years ago. IMHO it has a lot going for it. I understand it is supposed to have TTL capabilities for Canon, but have only ever used it as manual mode (couldn't follow the instrcutions for the TTL bit), and on Canon (30D & 1DsMkII bodies), Hasselblad H2 and the new Mamiya 645DF. It has 8 levels of manual adjustment for flash level, I have become quite good at estimating how much I will need.

It's reliable, cheap and useful, and it does the job. The diffuser that it comes with has never been off mine, it even stops the 'red devil' eyes in my cat photos in 90% of cases.

I have no hesitation in recommending it to you. Oh, and watch out for big lens shades, they'll make a shadow if you have it mounted on camera.

If you have a look here (http://www.redbubble.com/people/analog6/collections/157-people) the shots of the band were taken using it with 1dsMkII & 50mm f1.8 lens.

godzhitman
21-08-2012, 7:58pm
I've got the 460 II and they've lasted me over a year of use. Recycle times have increased somewhat (that or I need to get new eneloops). Great for a very cheap alternative to the named flashguns, esp if you want to get creative with the manual function.