PDA

View Full Version : FujiFilm discontinues Fujichrome Velvia 100F and Velvia 50

ricktas
20-07-2012, 8:04am
Fujifilm has announced that it will discontinue production of two of its professional films: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

Rattus79
20-07-2012, 8:49am
Censored???!!!!!

Sacrilige!!!!

Paul G
20-07-2012, 4:38pm
Just read in that article people are storing their film in freezers. Is this right? I'd heard of keeping it in the fridge but not the freezer.

I @ M
20-07-2012, 4:46pm
Fujifilm has announced that it will discontinue production of two of its professional films: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

Is this Fuji's way of confidently saying that their latest cameras surpass their own film product in quality or is it purely a sensible marketing move?

Just read in that article people are storing their film in freezers. Is this right? I'd heard of keeping it in the fridge but not the freezer.

And if cryogenics had been around when Elvis died we could have been all waiting for the comeback, or maybe not? :rolleyes:

arthurking83
20-07-2012, 9:43pm

Yep!! .... freezer.

Keeping it in the fridge simply extends its working shelf life a long while, but you can use it quite quickly if not immediately after it's been removed from the frigde.
But the issue of freezing it is that you have to wait for it to thaw out.
So of course this requires a bit of pre planning, which you usually do when shooting film anyhow(unlike me tho!!) :D

yep freeze it to keep it 'forever' .. and most film nutz will do so.

I was going to originally chime in with my usual 'told you so' replies and how this was always going to be inevitable, and a product of unrealistic manufacturing to return ratios and so on and so forth.
But if I do that, some deranged film nut will subsequently chime in to counter my comment, with fanatical expressions of love for film and how it's more popular than ever and how independent film manufacturers are going gang busters and can't keep up with demand .... and so on .... and BS ..... and more tripe.

But of course I won't say that
(because the world doesn't need another filmanatic again ... telling us how much better film is again)

.. so all I'm saying is that freezers all 'round the globe will be running ..... tirelessly, faithfully ..... needlessly .... wasting countless tons of CO2 maintaining an ultimately futile faith in a product that really should just go away .... oops! too far again!! :D

jim
21-07-2012, 12:04pm
I've used Kodachrome after 10 years in the freezer. It came out fine.

Rattus79
23-07-2012, 3:40pm
As good as digital is, you just can't reproduce velvia greens.

fillum
23-07-2012, 8:49pm
BJP seem somewhat confused. Article has been updated to say Velvia 50 is only being discontinued in LF...

Fujifilm tells BJP that its Velvia 50 will continue to be distributed in 35mm and 120 formats.

Fujifilm will continue to manufacture a wide range of film, and the increasing support for our Choose Film group illustrates there is still a passion for film photography throughout the world.

It appears AK's grave-dancing was a bit premature :D...

Cheers.

Ms Monny
23-07-2012, 9:16pm
I heard it was only the 100! So, it is the 50 as well?? Not a happy camper....I love velvia and I am only just getting into film and love experimenting with the stuff. My friend puts his in the freezer....we just bought up a big lot not long ago ..... well, he did but my funds were low, so now I am even unhappier!

EDIT: If I read the above post I would realise the 50 is safe!! :o

arthurking83
23-07-2012, 9:50pm

It appears AK's grave-dancing was a bit premature :D...

Cheers.

:efelant:

Should I now just run my two rolls of Velvia 50 through the somewhat uncertain nature of the lil Rollei, or do I still wait for a proper camera(F100/F4/F5) to appear at a decent price on fleabay.

Kym
23-07-2012, 10:02pm
Supply and demand. Looks like only 35mm and 120 Velvia 50 is in sufficient demand to be profitable.

sunny6teen
31-08-2012, 9:38pm
never a fan of velvia anyway :D but its legacy lives on in oversaturated jpegs everywhere.
was large format always destined to be the first to go? I get the impression that view cameras scare the hell out of people for some reason...but the negs are lot easier to work with.

The Man from Mona
08-10-2012, 11:30am
Unfair that they've cut reala, neopan, and now velvia in my format but they're keeping provia. Hate provia.

Dwarak
04-12-2012, 5:02pm
I have just started to use velvia 50 (medium format) good to see that they have not discontinued 120 I plan to buy a medium format panorama in the future and want to use this film love the saturation it offers....

ameerat42
05-12-2012, 4:34pm
Such PROGRESS!!! - The new spelling for "regress". (OK, I haven't used these two, but what's next?)
Am.

JoeB
08-01-2013, 3:46pm
Such PROGRESS!!! - The new spelling for "regress". (OK, I haven't used these two, but what's next?)
Am.

Just as well I bought a bucketload of 50 then. I'm really annoyed by this. Let's hope it is only UK specific then.

kaiser
30-01-2013, 7:31pm
I've been playing around with 120 Velvia for a few months and still getting used to nailing perfect exposure and choosing the right kind of scenes to bring out the best of this film.

yisiyue000
21-02-2013, 5:13pm
Hope films can last forever that we can enjoy it consistantly

I @ M
21-02-2013, 5:20pm
Hope films can last forever that we can enjoy it consistantly

Yep, I totally agree. :th3:

But seeing as film has all but been laid to rest in this household, I would love to see some of your images on here showing us the beauty of it. :)

strictfunctor
15-07-2015, 2:29am
I shot a roll of 35mm Velvia 50, just to try it out. Took it to my local store that haven't quite ruled out developing E6. Put it in on May 15, will get it back August 3. Thinking it's not worth the bother, unless the results astound. Or has anyone developed E6 at home with good results? I can do B&W reliably.

ricktas
25-06-2020, 6:11pm
E6 is really difficult to develop at home as it requires constant temperatures and the margins are wafer thin. In the old days the benefit of slide film was that it gave you almost instant results that you could see on a light table without inverting it. The other benefit was the lower ASA ratings, but having compared the latest Kodak professional films such as Ektar, alongside Velvia 50 and 100. The Ektar has a finer grain structure and vastly superior latitude than slide film to the point where we're talking 13 to 14 stops of light with Ektar, vs. 3 with slide film. +1 and -1 and if you miss that then you throw the slide away.

Even if Fuji discontinues their slide film, which they're not doing anymore anyhow, for today's purposes, negs are vastly superior for most purposes unless you want to show people exactly what you shot... but these days you just scan and invert them and show someone on a screen...

Why are you posting to 5 year old threads?