PDA

View Full Version : Mint OP System

ROA44
12-07-2012, 10:07pm
With all the talk about different software being used. I saw a thread relating to OP system Mint ( Linux, Ubunto) and was interested as to which if any of Adobe, Corel, Nikon or Canon etc will run on Mint Op System, as I have often considered switching but could not find an answer and thought they could not run on Linux OP systems. I would probably load it onto a separate hard drive & have a dual boot setup.

livio
13-07-2012, 7:19am
Hi Champion,

I hear you and you are of course right, Adobe does some things for Linux like Acrobat reader etc but you find photoshop lightroom generally fall into mac or windows. Linux has a lot of digital image manipulation tools available to it so don't be 100% put off. GIMP is probably the best known, a quick look on source forge will quickly reveal just how many there are. With Linux as with Windows you can have the best of both worlds by running a virtual machine which you can download from Oracle where you can then run the operating system of choice and share files etc between both operating systems on the one machine. Virtual Box will run in either Windows or Linux and it is free. VMmware for a modest cost provides the same thing. I personally find that if I have to render photos or videos then Linux is better because it can multitask and I can run parallel streams I have not been able to do that under windows. Yet windows provides me with some industry standard applications. You can always install Mint as your OS then run a windows virtual box for times you really must have a windows application. I do and it works great.

fenderstrat1963
13-07-2012, 3:46pm
I can also recommend VirtualBox, it's stable and reliable on my setup (Slackware 64).

I use RawTherapee and the GIMP almost exclusively (natively under Linux). Although I have had RawTherapee crash, I have never had data corruption or loss. There are comparisons between it and other programs with a bit of searching.

Good luck! :)

ROA44
13-07-2012, 6:43pm
Hi guys thank you both for all that info I have downloaded GIMP & do have Corel photo-paint 4 but not really had a look at them properly yet. So I will have to talk with my son inlaw a bit more as he uses linux and will be able to set it up properly.

all the best guys cheers