PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 4 question

courty
05-07-2012, 2:46pm
Dumb question but I just cannot seem to work it out:D
Is it possible to import raw images I have in iPhoto across to lightroom 4 ? From camera no problems and everywhere else on my mac but not from iPhoto.

Cheers
Glenn

kiwi
05-07-2012, 3:31pm
where are the actual files located ?

courty
05-07-2012, 3:44pm
Kiwi
I just imported the files from camera into iPhoto but when I open LR4 and go to import it gives me an option for everywhere else on the mac but photo's :confused013 if that makes sense.

kiwi
05-07-2012, 5:03pm
Im afraid I have no idea on iPhoto or the Mac but I would assume the RAW files are still located somewhere on the hard drive

Maybe you need to search for a file name

WhoDo
05-07-2012, 5:21pm
Dumb question but I just cannot seem to work it out:D
Is it possible to import raw images I have in iPhoto across to lightroom 4 ? From camera no problems and everywhere else on my mac but not from iPhoto.

iPhoto behaves like a huge database that stores all sorts of things including photos. You can't see inside the data file from outside of iPhoto.

What you need to do is copy the images from inside iPhoto to a normal folder on your hard drive. Then you will be able to import them into LR4. Silly, idea if you ask me. I'd suggest you use LR4 to import from your camera and then copy them to iPhoto if you need to.

My iPhoto database file is 164Mb and there are only 2 photos in the file! Not the most efficient way to store your valuable RAW files IMHO.

Hope that helps.

agb
05-07-2012, 5:21pm
I have not read this but does this help?
http://thelightroomlab.com/2010/08/importing-images-getting-your-images-iphoto-to-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-v3/

courty
05-07-2012, 6:25pm
iPhoto behaves like a huge database that stores all sorts of things including photos. You can't see inside the data file from outside of iPhoto.

What you need to do is copy the images from inside iPhoto to a normal folder on your hard drive. Then you will be able to import them into LR4. Silly, idea if you ask me. I'd suggest you use LR4 to import from your camera and then copy them to iPhoto if you need to.

My iPhoto database file is 164Mb and there are only 2 photos in the file! Not the most efficient way to store your valuable RAW files IMHO.

Hope that helps.

I have not read this but does this help?
http://thelightroomlab.com/2010/08/importing-images-getting-your-images-iphoto-to-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-v3/

Thank you both,that all explains it .

Whodo
They go straight into LR now,these are the first pics I took a couple of weeks back with the new camera and I'd like to muck around with a couple of them.
Thanks again
Glenn