PDA

View Full Version : Do you use DNG?

etherial
29-06-2012, 8:42pm
Do you use DNG, if so why?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add some context...I shoot raw when I can and just don't see the point in making the step to DNG in the workflow. To me it is just another step that takes time and could affect image quality. I'm unsure of the benefits, I've heard people say it will be a standard and therefore be future proof, but in this day and age, I can't imagine the likes of the major raw file types being unsupported any times soon.

WhoDo
29-06-2012, 8:55pm

- - - Updated - - -

I should add some context...I shoot raw when I can and just don't see the point in making the step to DNG in the workflow. To me it is just another step that takes time and could affect image quality. I'm unsure of the benefits, I've heard people say it will be a standard and therefore be future proof, but in this day and age, I can't imagine the likes of the major raw file types being unsupported any times soon.

I didn't respond to the survey because the option I needed wasn't there; I used to. :p

When I was a Pentax shooter I preferred DNG (Adobe RAW) to PEF (Pentax RAW), even though the native had more data available. I was always concerned that PEF format wasn't supported in some software and didn't want to get tied to Pentax's proprietary editing software.

Now I shoot Nikon I shoot NEF (Nikon RAW) and don't bother with DNG. That said, I read something the other day (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml) that made me cringe about how future software may not support some formats in a few years ... even the big brand name formats. The article was calling for an industry-endorsed standard RAW format and postulated that DNG was the likely candidate at the moment.

With the proliferation of new professional-standard P&S cameras, such as the upcoming Sony RX-100, it may be that there will need to be a shake out of RAW formats or the software just won't maintain it past a given date. Already a number of the major processing packages are dropping support for older formats; even some from Nikon and Canon ... at least so I believe.

old dog
29-06-2012, 8:55pm
I convert Raw to a jpeg copy via DNG. I only do this after a trip as the cards fill too fast shooting raw + jpeg. There must be a way to do a straight conversion without DNG and I`ll have to do more homework to find it out (if it exists that is).

WhoDo
29-06-2012, 9:03pm
I convert Raw to a jpeg copy via DNG. I only do this after a trip as the cards fill too fast shooting raw + jpeg. There must be a way to do a straight conversion without DNG and I`ll have to do more homework to find it out (if it exists that is).

There is, Graeme. It's called Adobe Camera Raw (in Photoshop and Lightroom) if you have it, or you can use something like UFRaw, RawTherapee or whatever to go from your native Nikon NEF files to JPG. What software do you use, mate? You can also use Capture NX2 software for your Nikon I believe.

Wayne
30-06-2012, 8:12am
I convert all my raw files to DNG upon import.

I hate sidecar files, if you lose them, misplace them your edit instructions are gone, so you see the RAW. DNG embeds the sidecar file so it is much cleaner. Size is also more beneficial, and if I want to keep the RAW file embedded into the DNG I can, but it does make huge files by doing so.

ricktas
30-06-2012, 9:25am
I just use NEF. The DNG convertor works well as a stand-alone product and if some of the proprietary RAW formats are not readable in future, then I can use the DNG convertor to change them at that time.

old dog
30-06-2012, 11:01am
Waz......I use ACR and CS5 but when I tried to do it...no go. It came up with a box that said something about....`cannot perform this function as the feathering tool was in action` or something very close to that. I went searching and could not for the life of me find the problem. Drat I said so I went the DNG way.

WhoDo
30-06-2012, 11:39am
Waz......I use ACR and CS5 but when I tried to do it...no go. It came up with a box that said something about....`cannot perform this function as the feathering tool was in action` or something very close to that. I went searching and could not for the life of me find the problem. Drat I said so I went the DNG way.

That's a shame, Graeme, because ACR as part of Lightroom works fine for me in converting NEF. Do you start ACR from within CS5? Have you tried just using the "Open With" option to choose ACR directly? Your error sounds like a problem in CS5 rather than ACR. :confused013

@etherial - my apologies for hijacking your thread. Graeme and I will take the discussion to PM if you wish.

etherial
30-06-2012, 12:14pm
No, it's fine, it all contributes to the discussion around DNG and why people might be using it. Someone else might have the same issues and might learn something from it.

old dog
30-06-2012, 3:13pm
thanks Waz for the info.. Might take you up on trying to overcome the problem.

ApolloLXII
01-07-2012, 4:36am
Initially, I didn't convert any of my RAW files to DNG but have only just started doing so as a means of ensuring that I can be able to access the files if my native ARW files become outdated through advancements in editing software that may no longer support it or the introduction of a standard RAW format.

Wayno
17-07-2012, 12:53pm
I import my photos as DNG through Lightroom. I also back up my original photos as CR2 (Canon user) to another directory.
I'm not sure what will happen with future support with my generic CR2 files, so if there is a standard RAW format used in the future, and the DNG format is adopted then I'll be set.
Also, as with reasons mentioned above there are no sidecar files to worry about with DNG.
:th3:

mikew09
17-07-2012, 6:11pm
Yep - I am a DNG convert. I lost a load of settings when I didnt realise he sidecar files were not being copied to my mirror drive. Found out the hard way that RAW (Canon user) needed the additional file. I also had some issues with external editor too that wasnt light room aware so when you editored the file you had issues.

DNG is a much more portable file and all programs I use support the format.

JM Tran
05-08-2012, 4:31pm
I use DNG format or convert to it when I am using camera RAW files, that are not supported natively on my portable tethering set up for location stuff, ie. LR3 and CS5 etc.

Rattus79
28-08-2012, 1:29pm
As a Pentax user, I got DNG straight out of camera ....

Pentax FTW!

Xenedis
28-08-2012, 4:55pm

I don't use that image format and never have.

I cannot see any reason to use it.

Eberbachl
29-08-2012, 9:33am
When I shoot RAW, which is not all of the time, I shoot DNG in camera on my Pentaxes. I think an industry standard RAW format is a very good thing. I very much dislike proprietary formats that are unlikely to be supported in the future.

znelbok
18-04-2013, 1:17pm
I have been forced to use DNG.

I only have CS3 which I can update ACR to the latest to handle the NEF format for the D600 so I need to convert everything to DNG to keep using it.

I did give it some thought though prior to the D600 and decided that DNG was a good idea. As the end user you are reliant onthe manufacturer of the software to support your cameras RAW format. SHould it not be supported you are screwed. If you convert everything to a standard like DNG then there is more chance that your images can be used in more editing packages.

If someone can tell me how to update CS3 to the latest ACR I wold be extremely happy.

Mick

Dazz1
13-05-2013, 5:59pm
I know I am just a beginner, but the CHDK firmware for Canon cameras, seems to be targeting DNG format. Other than the CHDK raw format - which is very non-standard, DNG is the only other 'raw' format available.