PDA

View Full Version : Focusing the Nikon D7000

kidazzle
27-06-2012, 9:17am
How can you get the best auto focus with the Nikon D7000 both for lanscapes and for close ups. The camera seems to have a lot of different focus considerations ie AF Mode, AF Area AF Lock etc etc. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

WhoDo
27-06-2012, 9:28am
I don't know about the "best", but for what you're after I'd use AF-S (single focus on depressing the shutter button), choose Spot focus rather than matrix and use centre-weighted metering for exposure. Others may disagree, and some no doubt will, but those are the settings I use 90% of the time. If I'm chasing a moving object I'll swap to AF-C where the focus system will attempt to follow my original focus point until I depress the shutter button all the way, but that's not necessary for landscapes or close ups. I hope that helps. :)

Tommo1965
27-06-2012, 9:35am
if you want critical focus...use a tripod, then use the Mirror lock up and self timer..this will ensure no mirror slap induced blur...or use live view and contrast AF

I use center point either as a single, or sometimes as a 9 point depending on what Im shooting very seldom use the 51 point {d700}

also learn the DOF for your lens..and when shooting landscapes..try and focus on the hyperfocal point for the given aperture

kidazzle
27-06-2012, 2:05pm
Many thanks for all of this...I think I've now found the two controls you can change on the AF button. I already do change the metering depending on the photo I am taking. Re the AF though, I simly didn't realise that there were 2 different menues available simply by rotating the different forward and rear dials on the camera.

I'm afraid I'm not sure exactly what the hyperfocal point might be but I was wondering if it was the same as focusing on something that is positioned say about one third into the full depth of the photo? Is there anywhere I can learn more about the hyperfocal distance...ie any forums on AP? Once again thankyou both for your help.

Tommo1965
27-06-2012, 2:33pm
the hyper-focal distance will change depending on the lens in use..and the given aperture.....its a point in the image if focussed on, will have enough DOF from that point on, to extend to infinity

you can have a look at a APP for smart phones , called DOFmaster..it allows you to input your variables such as MM of the lens and it aperture..it will give you the Hyper-focal point in its equation as well as giving you the amount of DOF if you aren't using the hyper-focal point

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

good to use in landscapes..if you want everything in focus

WhoDo
27-06-2012, 4:42pm
Is there anywhere I can learn more about the hyperfocal distance...ie any forums on AP?

The New to Photography book (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) in the AP Library is your friend.

ricktas
27-06-2012, 6:27pm
the hyper-focal distance will change depending on the lens in use..and the given aperture.....its a point in the image if focussed on, will have enough DOF from that point on, to extend to infinity

you can have a look at a APP for smart phones , called DOFmaster..it allows you to input your variables such as MM of the lens and it aperture..it will give you the Hyper-focal point in its equation as well as giving you the amount of DOF if you aren't using the hyper-focal point

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

good to use in landscapes..if you want everything in focus

ALSO. The hyperfocal distance is affected by sensor size as well.

To the OP. I suggest you, as a beginner, start looking at the New To Photography section of the Ausphotography Library. Work through it, and as a beginner, just focus on the subject of your shots. Get all the basics down of aperture, ISO, shutter speed and leave all the other stuff alone for now. Trying to learn all about the differing metering modes etc is something you can work on down the track. To much information at once will just confuse you.

Take it slow and learn each camera function, one at a time, and only move on once you understand the one you are learning, and slowly build up your knowledge and skill base. Photography is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, trying to learn to much, to quickly, will take away the fun, and frustration will come along and that is when people give up.