PDA

View Full Version : want help removing highlights from dogs face in CS5

ice
26-06-2012, 12:40pm
Hi Guys

I've seen this done on someone's blog (http://dogbreathblog.com/2012/05/04/) but can't work out how to do it. I've attached my photo that I want to adjust- the light coloured dog's right side is completely blown out. I also wanted to know how to do the opposite- brighten shadows on the face.

If you could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated. The program I use is Photoshop CS5.

ameerat42
26-06-2012, 4:54pm
There would be no recoverable data in this version - jpeg. Did you shoot the original in raw?
Am.

gorillagirl
26-06-2012, 4:57pm
If you shot RAW then you can use the clipping shadows and highlights when you open the image in camera RAW. Google how to use it, it's really easy but you might need to see a guide. If you didn't shoot RAW then you need to write this photo off and go take some more.

ice
26-06-2012, 5:02pm
i shot in Raw!! :) i always do.

OK, i'll youtube that, thank you very much.

gorillagirl
26-06-2012, 5:03pm
It is invaluable and the first thing I do in camera RAW. Don't forget to post the reworked version.

ice
26-06-2012, 5:16pm
hmm... you dont mean the 'recovery' slider do you? that's not going to help me i dont think

- - - Updated - - -

ive found it on youtube :) thanks again. i'll post the fixed version :)

gorillagirl
26-06-2012, 5:17pm
You click the triangles above the histogram, the left shows shadows (blue on the image), the right highlights (red on the image). I use recovery for highlights and some will come back, but I try not to let blow outs happens, it's usually a sky that might have a few troublesome bits. If it is really blown you won't recover but hit the right side triangle to see the red then use recovery to see it's effect. If you find you are shooting two extremes again I'd bracket then layer and use a mask to let one of the other show. General rule is expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves, so if you can't bracket (or don't want to spot meter off the white dog then shoot with that exposure and put detail back into the black dog.

Duane Pipe
26-06-2012, 6:58pm
Good advice Girly but I don't think it is recoverable. after the recovery slider, Go to the next tab and play with the highlight slider

gorillagirl
26-06-2012, 7:05pm
Yep, I suspect you are right but worth seeing if it will help.