PDA

View Full Version : stuck CPL on zuiko14-42 micro 4/3

dobster
26-06-2012, 10:27am
Help! I can't seem to unscrew a marumi 40.5mm CPL filter from the 14-42 zuiko micro 4/3 zoom lens. It's been stuck there for several months now and I'd really like the extra light coming back in! The problem is exacerbated by the rotating zoom and the CPL spinning. I was wondering if there is any trick, like using temperature, to separate the two. Otherwise I'll have to stick it in a vice. :scrtch:

ricktas
26-06-2012, 10:54am
use a pointy nosed pair of plyers on the edge of it. (I have), and its easier to get a grip on it with the plyers and try to turn it. remember to turn the right way..don't make it even tighter.

Ian Brewster
26-06-2012, 11:04am
A touch of the universal cure, WD40 might help too - but protect the face of the filter.

Ian

MelE
26-06-2012, 12:32pm
I carry a small square of the rubberised non slip matting which I find very handy for removing screw on filters.

Bennymiata
28-06-2012, 11:49am
Some kitchen shops sell a gadget to remove tight screw lids on jars.
The gripping part is made from silicone so it will grip the item really well, yet not leave any marks on the filter.
Just adjust it fairly tight and make sure the rubber ring does not grip the lens.

I have found the trick with filters is to NOT put them on tightly, but rather leave them a little loose, otherwise they can be very difficult to remove.
This is especially so with step-up and step-down filter adaptors.
Another trick is put some light machine oil on the filter thread, but just be careful to only put a very thin film on it so the oil won't drip onto the lens or filter.

Hope you can get it off Dobster.

ericimbs
05-07-2012, 6:15am
i don't recommend using wd-40, some of the construction is polycarbonate.

agb
10-07-2012, 9:10am
You probably have this fixed by now, but this just happened to be on a web site this morning. Worth posting I thought.
http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/how-to-remove-a-stuck-lens-filter/