PDA

View Full Version : Save Files show as Black thumnails

Ian Brewster
20-06-2012, 4:16pm
I am using CS4. When I go to save files to a folder using the thumbnail mode, the Save window appears as below:

Can anyone help with how to get images/icons instead of black squares as appear here? :(

ricktas
20-06-2012, 5:03pm
Hmmm. See the folder box at the top, to the right of that are several small shaded squares, next to that is a down arrow. What options do you get when you click that down-arrow?

Ian Brewster
21-06-2012, 9:27pm
Thanks Ricki,

I have tried that; the arrow reveals the Lists, Details etc options, but only for the files and folders. The options for Up One Level etc. remain black. I thought it may be something to do with clearing the cache and in Windows Explorer (I use XP) I have since set the option to Not put thumbnails in cache. The problem seemed to go away after a new start-up, but it's back again tonight. I have Googled a lot on this, as it has happened in the past a few times, but have never found a solution.

Any ideas you have would be great.

Ian

ricktas
21-06-2012, 9:32pm
Those black/grey boxes are part of Windoze. My guess is that there is some sort of corruption of a windows file.

ricktas
21-06-2012, 9:39pm
Next question? What version of Windows..Vista? There is an issue I found via Google where this happens and the resolution refers to "Vista Shortcut Manager" being the cause, and downloading an update for it, resolves this issue. Though I could not find how or where to get any updates.

dieselpower
22-06-2012, 12:21pm
That would be a driver/windows display rendering issue I reckon. And Rick - it's Windows XP.

Make sure windows is fully up to date, find and install an updated graphics card driver. I'd also suggest checking the colour depth on your PC to make sure it's running at 16-bit or higher.

It's definitely not a CS4 issue!

ameerat42
22-06-2012, 3:40pm
Ian,
Will the following shed some feeble light on the problem?...

Though I'm using the humble CS2 (the CS6 trial now over) I have this set in the Preferences. It should be similar in your version, and I don't think it's the Windows version. Mine is also XP.
Am.

Ian Brewster
22-06-2012, 6:24pm
Thank you all for the attention to my problem! Ameerat, I checked and I have the same Preference set-up as you. Dieselpower, I have my Colour Space at 32 bit. I have recently had to re-build my hard drive and Ricki, you hit the jackpot - I had an out-of-date driver for my graphics card. All seems to be well now.

In my next life, aftr the HDD rebuild experience, I will be a Mac fan. :efelant:

Ian