PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake

geoffsta
19-06-2012, 9:06pm
Just had an earthquake here in Bruthen. First time ever. Sounds pretty big. Facebook is alive with report from a fair whack of victoria.
I wonder were the epicentre was.

ricktas
19-06-2012, 9:21pm
5.2 recorded by the USGS

etherial
19-06-2012, 9:25pm
http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=274232#

Sammi
19-06-2012, 9:46pm
epicenter was 10km from moe... was felt as far as albury wodonga.

farmer_rob
19-06-2012, 9:46pm
Centered near Moe.

We felt it in Mansfield. Quite wierd.

Regards,
Rob

geoffsta
19-06-2012, 9:50pm
Did you feel anything down there Rick? It was fairly strong here.

arthurking83
19-06-2012, 10:11pm
As usual, I either missed it, or was asleep again! :p

Allie
19-06-2012, 10:33pm
We got it here in Rosebud too, it felt like a really, strong "gale like" wind as the house shook except it was so quiet. In total, including receding tremors, it lasted about 45 seconds (I was watching the clock). I hope no-one has been injured - I read the epicentre was in Moe.

I @ M
19-06-2012, 11:13pm
Can't say as I actually felt it here but I happened to be in the fire station at about that time and the large front doors were rattling as if there was a strong wind but the night was pretty well dead still. :confused013

Duane Pipe
20-06-2012, 7:59am
Morning all:) That one was spread over I big area:eek: Thats my third experience, the first two I could hear a rumble like distant thunder as the ground shook but this one had no noise to it and only lasted about 6sec.
The strange thing is that we are close to the epicenter and reports from callers as far as albury wodonga on the abc radio were saying they felt it for 30sec, I cant work that out.

ricktas
20-06-2012, 8:19am
Did you feel anything down there Rick? It was fairly strong here.

Nothing down here. We had one several years ago now. I have been in one in Greece as well. The sound is the thing that gets me. Sounds like a train is going to go through your house.

ricktas
20-06-2012, 8:30am
Morning all:) That one was spread over I big area:eek: Thats my third experience, the first two I could hear a rumble like distant thunder as the ground shook but this one had no noise to it and only lasted about 6sec.
The strange thing is that we are close to the epicenter and reports from callers as far as albury wodonga on the abc radio were saying they felt it for 30sec, I cant work that out.

Think about sound waves. As sound goes further from it's source, the waves have bigger gaps between them, an earthquake is the same, at the centre is is often a violent sudden jolt and the further you go away from it, the effect ripples through the earth, so it tends to be felt for a longer time, with less impact, until it dissipates completely.

Duane Pipe
20-06-2012, 8:43am
Think about sound waves. As sound goes further from it's source, the waves have bigger gaps between them, an earthquake is the same, at the centre is is often a violent sudden jolt and the further you go away from it, the effect ripples through the earth, so it tends to be felt for a longer time, with less impact, until it dissipates completely.

That makes a lot of scene Rick I am on another forum with 1 member that is in Moe, 30k from me and he had a book case topple and other minor things. To me it wasn't a grab the kids and run situation.
I have to get ready for my first day at work:th3: Take care all

Xebadir
20-06-2012, 8:45am
Lasted probably about 40 seconds for me in Templestowe (Melbourne Suburb). Wasn't too concerned but did suddenly have a rather alarmed girlfriend clinging to me after covering the 2 metres between us in a nanosecond. Felt two reasonable waves with a bit of negative motion, a loud rumble on approach and shaking. Also scared the heck out of my two dogs, they didn't leave my side for the rest of the night and were as edgy as I have seen them. That fault system is reasonably active for Victoria, with a 5.3 (Geosciences Australia) magnitude probably released around 7 Terajoule, or 1.5-2 kilotonne of TNT equivalent ;). Pretty potent energy release for Australia. Still in the grand scheme of things, not too bad, just an interest on a boring night. Given I work in a department at the university which includes geologists they are reasonably grumpy as people keep on asking them questions...so I am enjoying yanking their chains :p (typically we get a hard time for weather events in the same fashion).

muggins
20-06-2012, 12:48pm
So that was the cause of the earthquake Xebadir yanking the chain of the geology dept. LOL

Duane Pipe
20-06-2012, 2:20pm
Boolarra Vic. I am sure has been active for the last few years. Around 2 year ago while working in Moe we felt a small tremor and I am positive there has been one since then.

bobt
20-06-2012, 3:48pm
did suddenly have a rather alarmed girlfriend clinging to me after covering the 2 metres between us in a nanosecond.

..... and I suppose you didn't think to use this once in a lifetime opportunity to say to her "did the earth move for you too darling?" :lol:

Xebadir
21-06-2012, 8:08am
Actually I went with "What can I say, you rock my world." that was the great thing about the length of the earthquake, gave me plenty of time to get witty :lol2:

I seriously wonder if anyone tried to use it as a pick up line in a bar somewhere...would've been a classic. The permutations are endless.