PDA

View Full Version : Photography and taxation

Lazyshooter
12-06-2012, 5:55pm
Now I am terribly naive when it comes to taxation and as a result I probably pay more tax than I really ought to. Anyway, if you use your photography gear for work related activities, can you claim this as a tax deduction? Also, is this dependent on how regularly you use your camera/lenses/tripods etc for work?

ricktas
12-06-2012, 6:17pm
refer to the site rules. In particular:

[30] Requesting/Providing Financial, Medical or Legal Advice on Ausphotography:

Australian Photography is a website with broad topic coverage. However, when it comes to medical, financial and legal advice, it's always recommended to seek advice from a qualified professional, rather than asking about it on Australian Photography. As such, Australian Photography takes no legal responsibility for posts seeking or providing Medical, Financial or Legal advice. Members use any advice provided via Ausphotography at their own risk. The site owner, moderators or members cannot be held liable for any Medical, Financial or Legal advice posted on the site.

Whilst members will be able to give you advise based on their experience. You cannot use any advise given as binding taxation advice.

Lazyshooter
12-06-2012, 6:25pm
Racktas, that's okay and totally understandable. Really all I am after is a rough idea on whether it is possible. I intentionally left the specifics out of my situation to leave the question more open ended.

MarkChap
12-06-2012, 6:31pm
I am not any sort of taxation accountant, in answer to your question, yes it would be possible, but only your own tax accountant can tell you if it is possible in your circumstances

macmich
12-06-2012, 6:55pm
as above check with tax consultant
i am a carpenter and claim mine as i take shots of damage and insurance claims for estimating purposes
and to send to insurance companys
cheers macca

- - - Updated - - -

as above check with tax consultant
i am a carpenter and claim mine as i take shots of damage and insurance claims for estimating purposes
and to send to insurance companys
cheers macca

ameerat42
12-06-2012, 7:25pm
Essentially, you can. It has to be a fair and reasonable claim, and advice on that is best got from an accountant. A camera does not differ much from any other device or tool in this regard.
Am.

Lazyshooter
12-06-2012, 9:18pm
Thanks for everyones replies. I will have a look into what is possible.

Tikira
12-06-2012, 9:31pm
Again I reiterate that it is important to check with your tax adviser for your own personal advice. However a key area for this will be the percentage of use for work and for personal. As an example many people will claim their computer as a work related expense and usually they apportion the amount of personal use. As an example I claim 25% business use for my computer. The main areas you will need to justify is the requirement for work and the amount of business use compared to personal use.

Wayne

scpleta
13-06-2012, 12:32pm
i have claimed a bit of my gear when i lodged my tax return a few years back but it was with a tax accountant.

what we did was to get a portion of the depreciation cost of the equipment i used (at that time) for work related photo activities.

hope this helps.

jibba02
13-06-2012, 6:03pm
Ok. here is a good one. taking on board that none of your comments or advice are in any way true or false. obviously the best person to talk to is your accountant.
I would like to ask your opinions on claiming travel and accommodation as a tax deduction. one example is traveling overseas to take photos with intention of selling the photos either on a stock site or in printed form.
can airfares, accommodation, meals all be a tax deduction.

I @ M
13-06-2012, 6:07pm
obviously the best person to talk to is your accountant.

You answered your own question right there ^. :)

ameerat42
13-06-2012, 7:38pm
...I would like to ask your opinions on claiming travel and accommodation as a tax deduction. one example is traveling overseas to take photos with intention of selling the photos either on a stock site or in printed form. can airfares, accommodation, meals all be a tax deduction.

On this (dearth of) info the best you may be able to expect is to awaken from a pleasant dream.
You would soon have the Axe Man after you big time.

Of course, this is all opinion. But I would expect it to turn to fact if you were ever to try it.

(It would be like: You > :lol2: < (t)Ax Man.)

jibba02
13-06-2012, 7:38pm
so discussion is out of the question? for those that have had experience in this area feel free to reply.

I @ M
13-06-2012, 7:47pm
so discussion is out of the question?

No way!!!

But please do bear in mind the liabilities of sites that host discussion and advice on matters of law and finance.

Quite truthfully from my point of view I found it far more reliable to gain knowledge from people [accountants] that had the relevant knowledge and professional indemnity insurance to back them up in case of errors.

In this day and age it is almost impossible to save money [work / travel expenses] without paying someone with the skills to manage the job.

A bit like photography is used to be in reality.

ameerat42
13-06-2012, 7:47pm
so discussion is out of the question? for those that have had experience in this area feel free to reply.

Well, I freely did already - discuss it! Specifically, the problem phrase is "with intention". That would have to change to the likes of "(actually) sold photos at a profit". Then you would stand a chance fiscally.

The lightheartedness was provided as a bonus, tastes notwithstanding.

And don't forget, it qualifies as an opinion, as you asked.

And another thing, what more do you expect on a photographic forum?

jibba02
13-06-2012, 8:13pm
No way!!!

Quite truthfully from my point of view I found it far more reliable to gain knowledge from people [accountants] that had the relevant knowledge and professional indemnity insurance to back them up in case of errors.

In this day and age it is almost impossible to save money [work / travel expenses] without paying someone with the skills to manage the job.

couldn't agree more. was just up for some chitter chatter. :)

I shall choose my topics more carefully next time.

ricktas
13-06-2012, 8:26pm
This thread is going round in circles and has deviated from the original posters question to one of travelling overseas and claims etc. Therefore I am closing this thread