PDA

View Full Version : sigma compatible nikon d3100

nanwu
09-06-2012, 10:19am
I have the chance of obtaining a sigma UC zoom 1:2.8-4 28-70mm i have been told its for a nikon but the person doesn't know the type of mount.....since its an old lens does anyone know if it would be compatible with a d3100.....and any reviews you may know of that i can check out thank you

ricktas
09-06-2012, 10:25am
If it is for Nikon, it will fit! But as the 'person' offering it, doesn't seem to know much, make sure it is Nikon mount. Also note that it may only work in manual mode.

I @ M
09-06-2012, 10:29am
It should be easy to tell which brand of camera it fits by looking at the mounting and comparing it to one of your lenses.

I reckon it is about 100% sure that it WON'T autofocus on your D3100 as it will not have a built in electric focus motor.
I think that there are probably many other lenses that will be better suited to your camera that encompass those focal lengths with better or at least the same image quality at extremely cheap prices.
Unless you really have a need for the focal lengths that that particular zoom runs between I would look at others for better results.

nanwu
09-06-2012, 10:36am
Thanks for your quick replies....i had already realized it would probably only manual focus but for ten bucks thought it might be worth giving it a shot anyway .... i am very financially strapped so this seemed like a good option

ameerat42
09-06-2012, 12:22pm
FWIF, found this:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-uc-zoom-28-70mm-1-2-8-4.html
Am.

Darey
10-06-2012, 10:36am
If the lens is only $10 it may be worth the cost just for the fun of playing with something new.
Just one word of caution: FUNGUS Make sure the lens does not have fungus in it. Don't buy it if it has fungus because the fungus can get into your other lenses if they are stored in close proximity.
If it has no fungus and looks good, for that price, buy it and have some fun.