PDA

View Full Version : Whats on your walls?

Kerrie
04-06-2012, 3:52pm
.....I'm curious. What's hanging on the walls of AP members?

I have an abstract canvas on the only wall in my dining area that resembles a cross between a heart monitor read out and high rises reflecting off water. ( well that's my take on it ) It's a space filler. One day I hope to replace it with a cityscape or landscape of some kind.

My other wall space is bare awaiting A large mono or many small ones like a little mini gallery.

I have a large framed poster of Buddhist monks in a sunlit gully. There's words on it too. Something about the way to happiness.....

Whats on everyones wall...or wishing to be ?

Bear Dale
04-06-2012, 4:04pm
A few photos hanging in my 'studio' -

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1381/5127392480_7cf5f9bc9f_b.jpg

OzzieTraveller
04-06-2012, 5:20pm
G'day Kerrie

Our unit in Tuncurry has about 25-30 photos of varying sizes littering the walls + passageway
Many are 5x7 in size, many are 10 x 15 in size and a couple are 16 x 24 in size

I have a collection of photos in mat boards and every so often I slip out the old ones & slip in the 'other' ones so that visitors never know what to expect ... it also cuts down on storage space for thick frames

I guess that I have about 100 images in mat boards just waiting to be put into circulation - trouble is I look at 'em and say 'seen it before' and give it away to someone for them to keep :-)

Regards, Phil

hawko02
04-06-2012, 8:33pm
Hello Kerrie,a very interesting thread...:rolleyes::cool: I am actually an artist first and a "hopeful" photographer second. I do love them both though. As for walls and stuff hanging on them... i have 5 paintings on a very small section of wall .... and about 5 or so floating around leaning up against whatever is available to lean on and always one on the easel. I am a very messy and untidy "artist". No photography - oh sorry... the kids got one of my pictures on a canvas for me.... it leans also. The "doing" is more important than the hanging for me although I do hang some in other peoples places. This thread could probably be an insight into personalities. :th3::p

ricktas
04-06-2012, 8:39pm
A 1mtr wide pano of a sunrise at the tessellated pavement.
8 landscape photos
A photo of my mum running with the Olympic torch
Photos of my dogs (present ones and past ones)
A watercolour painting by a nonaganerian, who painted it for me, as her last ever painting

matt shepherd
04-06-2012, 8:49pm
Great thread.

I have a whole lot of wall paint a few dints that need filling oh and a couple large prints of mine ;:lol:

SandyD
04-06-2012, 9:49pm
I have three B/W's of a weekend I had with my boys and hubby in Sydney.
Two canvas's I painted.
A hallway with many family photos.
Two Caricatures of me and the hubby, one from sydney one from Melbourne.
And a very large blank wall just begging for something.

Cyza
04-06-2012, 9:54pm
In my bedroom I have a variety of of my prints 18x12 inches, mainly photos from trip to Poland in winter, and a few sun set sun rise shots from port Philip bay.
A big promotional poster/advert from "sorry grandma" night club in Melbourne, Movie posters; Pulp Fiction, Planet Terror and Death Proof (Tarantino fan :])
Polish and Australian Flags
And a big stencil cut out. It's Frank's head from donny darko on a tuxedo, about 2.5 metres in height.

FallingHorse
04-06-2012, 10:12pm
Do cobwebs count :D
No really, we have not long finished building so I have plenty of blank wall space waiting to be filled. The hallway has a heap of family photos of varying sizes. Bedroom has a canvas of my son and a few smaller ones of hubby and son in frames on the bedside (doesn't really count as on the wall though).
The kitchen has an 8x12 landscape.
I plan on doing a triptych in greens and white for the bedroom wall and I have a few things lined up for the lounge too.
My sons room has a dinosaur scene on a Manhattan city street. I created it from stock images and a tutorial. He loves it - the dinosaur has a taxi cab in it's mouth and it has meteorites etc landing in the street

Ms Monny
04-06-2012, 10:34pm
If only I had more wall space! We have a huge print "Portrait of Dora Maar" - Pablo Picasso, in our living room. It was given to us from a neighbour when the exhibition was in Melbourne. They also gave us two butterfly prints which are in the same room. I have a small shelf that has photos of the kids and parents/grandparents in the same room.

The kitchen has my husbands family home's architectural drawing in a frame. The architecture had two different ones drawn up and he got one framed and his sister got the other.

I have two water colour paintings from a local artist - Kit Neave - in our bedroom (one is of a fish, the other a religious looking water thing!). I looove her work.

Various family photos down one hall (that goes to the office) with an architectural drawing of the Sydney Harbor Bridge (we purchased when over there - a last minute decision to go one long weekend before we were married).

A signed limited edition of a Star Wars print between my two son's bedrooms.

We have just finished renovating our entrance hall and I can't wait to find the perfect picture/s to go up there....maybe mine? Maybe an AP member's photo?? My ensuite wall is crying out for a print as well...and I think I have found the perfect photo to go on there. I saw it on here the other day and fell in love with the simplicity and colour. Just need to find the money!!

My hubby's office has photos of him and his family framed, one of our past dogs framed on the wall and of course the kids. He also has old tin Holden signs that have been specially framed.

I guess if it doesn't have a deep meaning for us, it doesn't go up!!

Kerrie
05-06-2012, 5:53am
Thanks to everyone for sharing. It's wonderful .

Lantern
05-06-2012, 8:05am
Thanks to the OP for a wonderful thread and to all those who responded.
I have a 1m mono wedding shot, 5 canvases by my daug, 2 18" metallic prints of mine and couple of 'girly' prints (girls flowers dresses etc). Oh, and my academic qualifications.

Rattus79
05-06-2012, 8:24am
well, I hate to say that the biggest stuff on our walls isn't even my work.
we have:
2x 30 x 40 inch canvases from our wedding (Matthew Evans Photography - Brilliant!)
2x Metalic print Pano's A1 Width Landscapes
2x A3 prints I did from Bali
1x Old Red Cedar wooden door (for a midget) with 3 Hand painted depiction of the Hindi Gods (Shiva, Ganesh and I forgot the name of the other)

and I'm going to get the Pano (Melbourne Graffiti) that Rick put into the AP Newsletter (Thaks Rick) recently put onto a big ole piece of canvas. I'm thiking 50 x 150 (Ish)

Xebadir
05-06-2012, 9:11am
Hmm, my wall currently has a 22x32 inch mono on metallic framed of Mt Ngauruhoe that is one of my favourite photos, still love that the guy in the framing shop said, is this an Ansell Adams (note I laughed and then managed to get my head out the door :P),

And when I can afford to frame it I have a 24x36 inch crawler lightning on metallic from near Parkes. Easily my best lightning shot by far, and I've shot alot of it. Hopefully when I get home I will be able to add a tornado print from the other night, a sunset rope.

Dylan & Marianne
05-06-2012, 9:18am
Just finishing up renos so it's all empty hehe
We have a painting of Amadablam from Nepal in another room with 3 landscapes of a ridgeline in scotland, cradle mountain and godafoss from iceland on the opposite wall.
Looking forward to decorating the new walls!

Ionica
05-06-2012, 10:17am
The usual family/wedding/dogs.
Paintings and prints from one daughter.
Photos by other daughter.
Some photos by a photographer friend.
A painting from a small studio in Yogyakarta.
Photos of ' special moments ' ( to me ) eg:-
Hiking in the Dolomites ( Italy )
My wife on top of a peak in northern Nepal, on the Tibetan border.
A sunrise taken while standing chest-deep in the Grose River
A sunset through grasslands outside Gosler ( Germany ).
Sunset in the Thar Desert ( Rajasthan )

Two photographs by Peter Dombrovskis.
And no more wall- space.:)

SirLozalot
05-06-2012, 11:00am
Two years after having house built we still have nothing on walls. :o Big collection of prints and painting in a storeroom awaiting sorting and hanging. Will get around to it one day soon I hope...

swifty
05-06-2012, 11:02am
Jz a collage of wedding pics at the moment.
Been planning a large art piece in the living room but jz waiting for funds to recover.
Otherwise, just an assortment of mirrors.

Duane Pipe
05-06-2012, 11:07am
Cushions. I live in a Padded Cell:lol2:

Kelz1990
05-06-2012, 12:12pm
What a wonderful and interesting thread Kerrie :) On my walls, I have:

1) a photo collage that a dear friend made for my Christmas present, almost 2 years ago now;

2) a 3d photo of 2 wolves (being my favourite animals

The rest of my walls are blank at the moment, but looking at changing that once I re-paint and renovate my room

Kerrie
05-06-2012, 3:36pm
This has turned out to be a really great post! Thanks everyone.

And to you Duane :lol:

BLWNHR
05-06-2012, 4:22pm
I've got these two shots set up in my office as 20x30 canvases. (I run my own drafting company so having some nice photos and the ability to say "they're mine" makes for a good talking point outside of work.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/blownhr/Photography/th__DSC3789_2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v197/blownhr/Photography/?action=view&current=_DSC3789_2.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/blownhr/Photography/th_TableCapeHDR1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v197/blownhr/Photography/?action=view&current=TableCapeHDR1.jpg)

I also have a trio of lone-exposure traffic shots, I took with 35mm about 14 years ago, at home. These are printed 12x18 and individually framed.

etherial
07-06-2012, 6:54pm
Good thread!!

I've got a few limited edition prints of Border Collies (no surprises there! :p) but most of the walls are lacking.

I'm actually interested in making a photo wall where I can pin up some of my work that I have printed sitting here in a pile. Anyone got any ideas for a wall, I was thinking maybe a large sheet of some kind of wood, or cork-board or something? Any ideas anyone?

ricktas
07-06-2012, 7:25pm
decided to take a photo of one of the walls in my lounge. Taken with phone cam, so quality is crap, but you get the idea

davidd
07-06-2012, 8:38pm
I have about 6 of my photos hanging on the walls. This one is the biggest, 13 x 44 inch print, matted and framed.

Please excuse the reflections in the glass.

I @ M
07-06-2012, 8:42pm
Do cobwebs count :D

Absolutely!!!!!!

We fill the space in between them with a variety of people, landscapes and birds.

fastr1red
07-06-2012, 8:46pm
I DID have portraits of my 2 children that I took a couple of years ago. Medium Format monos, I shot and processed myself.

But as my wife decided to "purchase" an alleged professional portrait it gets precedence and my shots came down. :rolleyes:

Bennymiata
07-06-2012, 9:20pm
My wife doesn't allow photos on the walls, so our walls are filled with original artworks (her father was an art collector).
However, in my office, I have been allowed to put up two limited edition prints, one of Dick Johnson's old V8 Supercar, personally signed by him and his co-driver for that year, as well as a personally autographed to me print of Wayne Gardner on his world championship bike.

bhoran
07-06-2012, 9:34pm
My work of art....an oil painting :)

Kerrie
07-06-2012, 10:02pm
It's getting better every day this post.

The photo replies are fabulous!

ktoopi
08-06-2012, 11:04am
We don't have many walls due to the open plan nature of my house but the lounge contains a huge original painting of the start of the Sydney to Hobart painted by my dad, the entrance has a large canvas that my husband comissioned for me for my 40th of the three of us, master bedroom has a large original painting over the bed painted by my mother in law and about 20 photos in a variety of frames mostly of my daughter or the three of us most of which I have taken, downstairs lounge has two large framed photos of my husbands 16 foot skiff taken from a helicopter, a photo of my husbands brother who passed 10 years ago and another painting by my mother in law. My daughters bedroom has a large painting painted by my mother in law and her toy room has several canvases that my daughter has painted herself!!:)

Lance B
08-06-2012, 11:28am
I have a number of my photos, including a panorama I took of Bondi Beach on Boxing Day 2005, which is 1,500mm x 330mm. It was a stitched pano of about 6 images from memory and it gets many great comment from those who see it. The original image below, was actually too wide for a border and I had to reduce it to the standard 1,500mm instead of the original 1,860mm (from memory):

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/60493449/original.jpg

My daughter also wanted a similar scene in her bedroom and so, we gave her this photo for one of her birthdays, also about 1,500mm wide:

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/54014655/original.jpg

I also have these three printed to A3+ which is 485mm x 330mm:

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/54812466/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/54381743/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/114357456/original.jpg

Duane Pipe
08-06-2012, 3:13pm
Now I see why Bondi Rescue is so busy Lance:lol2: I like them

Lance B
08-06-2012, 9:35pm
Now I see why Bondi Rescue is so busy Lance:lol2: I like them

Thanks, mate! :)