PDA

View Full Version : Photographing the Venus Transit?

AsignObservatory
02-06-2012, 2:44pm
G'day cobbers!

I've penned and diagrammed a guide for you if you want to see this rare event. http://asignobservatoryii.webs.com/celestialevents.htm

You'll need to act fast if you want to try to source some solar-viewing glasses online.

This will be the last one until 2117, so I would advise you to go to the effort if you are interested!!

Ask me questions if you are interested in photographing it.

Cheers!!!

Baz.

ameerat42
02-06-2012, 4:43pm
Baz. Will the S:(n come out.
Hopefully, it will in Canberra.
Am. (Blah! Sydney weather.)

PS. Ta for the table. It's nicely concise.

Duane Pipe
02-06-2012, 5:05pm
Good information Barry.
My dad had a 8" mead's telescope with tracking and sold it because of a relocation to a bush type block I really wished that he had kept it Barry:( I didn't even have the pleasure of seeing anything through the view finder...

ameerat42
02-06-2012, 5:08pm
BTW. The "Focal Length" of the pinhole apparatus is the distance between the two cards.
Roughly 10mm image diameter per 1000mm of separation, depending on the hole.

Actually a 2ple of things Baz:

Do you think we will be able to see the exact moments of C1 and C4?

The times are not longitude dependent but the trajectory will be latitude dependent (barely noticeable perhaps).

I have a person in Bris interested in this, and you're in Canberra. If we're lucky in Sydney it should be interesting to see if latitude makes a noticeable difference of the path of Venus across the sun's disc.
Am.

AsignObservatory
02-06-2012, 5:57pm
BTW. The "Focal Length" of the pinhole apparatus is the distance between the two cards.
Roughly 10mm image diameter per 1000mm of separation, depending on the hole.

Actually a 2ple of things Baz:

Do you think we will be able to see the exact moments of C1 and C4?

The times are not longitude dependent but the trajectory will be latitude dependent (barely noticeable perhaps).

I have a person in Bris interested in this, and you're in Canberra. If we're lucky in Sydney it should be interesting to see if latitude makes a noticeable difference of the path of Venus across the sun's disc.
Am.

When I watched the one a few years ago, it took quite some time before first contact was actually visible, after the specified time. I think you need a pretty powerful scope to be that precise. Just be patient while you watch and you will notice it slowly bleed in.

Baz.

ameerat42
02-06-2012, 7:34pm
...and you will notice it slowly bleed in...

Baz.

This characterisation I appreciate.

And how about my chances of seeing anything here: SHUN-shine!
Am.

ameerat42
03-06-2012, 3:56pm
Well, this seems a good thread to post this latest stuff in. While talking amongst ourselves, a friend sent me another link about the transit of Venus.
THIS LINK (http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/VenusTransitCalculator.html?Transit='20120606'&Lat=-23.7&Lng=133.833&TZ='+0930'&DST=0) lets you put in your very own
Latitude and Longitude coordinates. (And if you only find these in degrees and decimal degrees, there is a calculator in the link to change them back to DD:MM:SS.)

To find your coordinates, simply type into Google the likes of "Sydney latitude".

When you have entered everything correctly you get a nice little summary for your location. Below is a screen print I did for "Sydney". You can see it's not basically different from Baz's table, but the path of Venus is interesting.
Am.
Screen print of calculator by X Jubier