PDA

View Full Version : 18th Birthday Party Shoot

Boyd
01-06-2012, 1:45pm
G'day all,
Need some advice on the settings I should use on my Nikon D700 to shoot my Son's 18th Birthday Party.
Expecting Low Light, indoors, Flashing Lights etc.
Any help with this type of shoot will be very much appreciated PLEASE :)
Boyd

falcon91
01-06-2012, 1:54pm
Depends on which lenses and other equipment you have?
I recently did a 21st (haven't put photos up as yet) and found that my external flash became invaluable for posed shots and bouncing it off the roof.
I was able to use ISO 400 most of the time and used the 18-105mm lens.
There were no strobe lights etc that were used so the lightly may be different.
I would also recommend shooting in RAW if you don't already as this will allow you to edit the photos more easily in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Hopefully this helps!

Boyd
01-06-2012, 2:22pm
Thanks Falcon,
I have a Nikkor 17-35mm and a 28-300mm which is prob what I will use on the night, no external flash etc, will shoot in RAW on the night

ricktas
01-06-2012, 2:54pm
Post some photos that you have recently taken, in the CC forums. We have no idea about your skill level etc. and only posted twice since joining six months ago. If we knew how good you were now, we could tell you what needs work etc.

Seabee
01-06-2012, 5:18pm
I would seriously be just considering a waterproof point and shoot for an 18th!! In my experience with 18th parties you will just be getting Facebook pouts, gangster arms 50 heads in one shot and lots of liquid distribution lol'!!
This is by no means a reflection of yr son and friends! I think you should enjoy your night with them and leave them to the iPhone photo craze that will inevitably occur!! They will get more excited over who posted what on Facebook!

For you, get some pre drinks happy snaps with him and then celebrate! If you don't have an external flash and not knowing yr skills it would be less stressful I imagine!

Boyd
01-06-2012, 5:34pm
Have attempted to upload some of my work for CC but was rejected because of the size - has to be 1024x1024, can't be bother mucking around with this...
reguarding my Son's 18th, he has asked me to take pics for him so I would like to be able to do it for him correctly, hense asking for advice on the SETTINGS !!!! I should use.
I will try another, less clicky, forum
thanks anyway

Ezookiel
01-06-2012, 6:44pm
You're lucky. I had to get just a few longer exposures of the garden lights, then put the camera away - my daughter didn't want to be embarrassed by her Dad running around with a camera while all her friends were there.

arthurking83
02-06-2012, 4:48pm
I will try another, less clicky, forum
thanks anyway

LOL!! :confused013

learn2shoot
04-06-2012, 10:52am
Its sad that you would feel this way, this forum has helped so many people grow and learn about photography. And just not being bothered with resizing pictures, this is a requirement to help the people who are going to be looking at your photos to give you feedback if it were any bigger it would take forever to load and the people would also have to scroll across screen to see the full photo.
I hope your photography journey does not stop here and you find the info you need for your sons 18th.